Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Written Examiners, 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

What are the 'Subject specific script fees' like this year for LC HL papers? And what is the 'additional €6 for each script satisfactorily marked at Leaving Certificate'? Surely that is all scripts? How do they check that?

Lastly, if you are one day in conference in person in Athlone and another in conference online do you get both the marking conference fee and the digital marking conference fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

Would they still be looking for people I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

Each subject gets a different rate, depending on how long they expect them to take. You get the €6 for every script. This is the first year of marking conference day 1 in person and day 2 online, so I don’t know what the fees are like, but we used to get a 2 day conference fee, so maybe they’ve split that up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭pandoraj09

In my LCHL subject we have 2 days in Athlone and 1 online. I'd much prefer the 3 days online. Hotel prices in Athlone really increased. The Radisson is over 200 euro a night!

• Advertisement

Most definitely. I was automatically appointed to my usual (LC HL) subject but I also applied to mark another (LC HL) subject, expressing a preference for it as it would help my teaching in that subject. I got a call last week from the SEC saying there was a vacancy in the new subject so I changed subjects.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just to reiterate they are still looking for people in many (though not all) subjects. People who can examine through Irish are always needed. The Athlone hotel situation has been complicated by the Prince of Wales not being available for some reason - closed? Permanently full?

Unless someone is on the low rate of tax it's not a great deal moneywise but it is absolutely worth doing for the benefit of the students you teach. As you examine the papers, the ones coming from candidates who have had teachers who have examined themselves start to stand out.

Being 'well in' with the SEC after a few years is always helpful too, as you can progress in different areas - Advising Examiner, Drafter, Setter etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

Sorry to piggy back on this and I don't wish to derail, but does anyone have any experience of the advising examiner position? I've been asked to do it and details of what the job entails/workload and pay haven't been sent yet. I saw a post on Teachers Voice Only asking for similar info so there must be a couple of new Advising Examiners coming on board this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭pandoraj09

Depends on your subject and the level you are correcting. After all deductions and on the high tax rate I got over 7 grand net last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭smallgarden

I earned about €1400 last year correcting jc. I was sick so had to send back half my scripts. Even with the estimate of the remaining scripts it'd bring me to €2800 nowhere near the €4800 they estimate that jc correctors typically make. If you include this years extra 700 it's still only 3500 a good 1300 off their estimate.

• Advertisement

I would imagine those amounts quoted were gross.

My figures were pretty much the gross amount as I wasn't working most of last year so didn't have to pay tax. I corrected about 170 papers to get €1400

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Heard today for the first time of someone being on a waiting list to be an LC marker.

I made just shy of €8k net last summer. That was a HL subject with two papers and I marked for about 5 weeks straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Grueller

That is a fair wedge of extra readies on top of the regular wage. I hear young teachers giving out about it that it isn't worth doing, then giving out that they can't save for a deposit. The two don't align in my simple mind.

If they're younger they might be doing JC? Or an exam with one subject? I did over 500 papers which is very unusual. I had some bills....

You do generally have to do at least a year of junior cert before they will give you leaving cert, so the wages may not be that high the first year.

Conferences are in person this year, so that and the €700 will add a bit to the take home pay.

My JC subject was €8 per paper before the €3 was added, so 170 of them would have given more than €1400. Obviously you couldn’t help what happened last year, but the next 170 wouldn’t have taken as long to mark either, so it wouldn’t be double the time it took last year to do 340. The faffing about at the start with learning the marking scheme and doing the sample does slow things down a bit.

Ah I understand the process well, I have marked for near on 20 years. I started straight out of college back in the boom, because I wanted a deposit for a house. I stuck with it and with a two component subject and a promotion to advising I net a nice tidy 5 figure sum each year. The eldest will hopefully start 3rd level in 3 years so it might come in handy then.

500 papers! You're a machine! That's phenomenal self-discipline and focus. Well done.

My conference is one day in Athlone and another online. Is that so they don't have to pay for an overnight stay?

Are you marking online? It’s probably so that they can get you set up with the marking website and get the sample script marked so they can give you clearance to get going with it. They mightn’t have the capabilities to have everyone online in the marking conference venues.

• Advertisement

My subject was only €5.67 per paper plus €3 extra. Just did the maths and not sure if they paid me the conference or administration fee. Did those payments come with the main payment? I can find two payments on online banking ,the advance and then a second one in October.

They should have been on the payslip for October. The advance payslip has no details on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TJ23

A JC examiner living near Dublin with no income for the summer would need to be living rent-free and have no PME loan. Otherwise they would need access to more money than the SEC contract is worth. Then you return to school to be told "you must have done really well". You're right Grueller - they don't align.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I did the JC for a couple of years before LC. It's a much better way of starting, the LC is tough by comparison. Not sure my exact gross last year, maybe around 8 grand for LC HL but in a subject not struggling as badly as others and the surprise of being finished a few days before Sprioc La.

I find the "I can't save for a house" bit funny too. I did July provision, superintending, exam secretary and correcting over a few years, sometimes 3 at a time. We've a few very sensible young staff who are saving and doing all the extra. A lot have or will buy houses soon. It is phenomenally difficult alone though, the small cheap one/two beds don't exist anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Norma was saying on RTE radio one the other morning that the SEC were happy they have enough to mark papers!

Do I believe her though?

Most of the younger teachers about here have summer income. At least the ones talking about buying a home have anyway. We can all pick exceptions to rules if we want.

I believe the online day is to show us the ropes of online marking, and would probably make sense for it to be online, everyone behind their own screen etc.

I asked for the orals if I could count the night before they start. Everyone in school said no way. SEC said yes as I was coming over 100km, couldn't expect me to leave at crack of dawn. They wouldn't respond to my emails but said it over the phone (I had planned on printing and adding it to my claim). But they paid me for it in the end. So if you're far from Athlone you could do the same.

I know of one, experienced marker (who has had a few years off) who applied and almost fell off her seat when she was put on the subs bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Did we believe her when she said schools were safe? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 inbetweentea

How many year's examination marking experience leads to advising examiner?

Thanks!

Advertisement