Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ah Jaysus. Andy Rourke.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭dav09

I agree. I'm 25, bang in the middle of that main demographic, I can only speak for myself and some of my friends and people I know, pretty much everyone I know has sold their tickets or not bought them based on lineup. I knew at least 20 people from different friend groups in my age graphic who went in 2022 and previous years too, although I'm sure a few will still get tickets late. It's clear that they are targeting late teens now and I genuinely think they've gotten things wrong, I don't know anyone who listens to Mimi Webb, Steve Lacy, etc. Most of us seen Fred Again last year and Billie and Johnny Marr in 2019, and the Killers play here regularly so I know a lot of people who have seen them already too but they don't interest me. It feels like a seismic shift between 2022 and 2023.

I'm heading to Primavera this year and the difference in lineup quality is night and day although I suppose it has a much bigger budget, still have my EP tickets if I decide to go it'll be my last, but honestly BTP, B&S and ATN all have better lineups so will most likely head to one of those instead this year. Most of my friends listen to either the charts, Drum & Bass, Hip Hop, Indie, Techno most of which is missing.

Trust me, there's a huge demographics of us in their mid 20s would rather see YYY's, M83, Aphex Twin rather than most of the rubbish on this lineup.

Post edited by dav09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

EP was losing millions during the recession, for example it loss €2.1m in 2010 and 2011. So the owners we’re keeping it afloat.

you keep missing the point that it’s not in EP financial interest to book a ton of expensive acts that don’t appeal to the main festival demographic of 20-30 years. It’s not a decent return on investment.

EP has to pander as you correctly pointed out we are 13 times smaller of a country than UK. it has 13 times more of a population to pull from for twice the attendance. glastonbury also attracts thousands of international attendees due to its 50 year legacy. EP has no comparable pull.

EP sells out by pandering to chart/pop acts, why should it change. The formula is clearly working.

when it was more adventurous/interesting it didn’t do the numbers it’s does now.

Of course nothing is stopping EP booking interesting acts but I’ve been at many a concert at EP when these interesting acts have played to near empty tents whilst main area stage is overflowing with tens of thousands of people enjoying the “basic and banal” acts.

Certain acts that may have played EP in years gone by just don’t make sense to be booked in 2023 for the audience that EP has, it’s as simply as.

standalone Dublin gigs or other smaller festivals make more sense for both the artist and the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The constant bickering between the 2 of ye is so tedious. You both make good points and just won't accept each others position.

Recap of the months long back and forth.

EP is great, but it could do so much better and cater for everyone.

Yea, but why would they bother when it sells out regardless, and unless that changes, why change the formula?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

• Advertisement

If there’s an economic downturn then EP won’t sell out. And the older, often more-moneyed demographic who saved it 15 years ago won’t be there to rescue it again.

For me EP isn’t just a product that can be ditched by the promoters for something else if a new direction doesn’t work. It’s the best festival this island ever has and is building up a rich history. Glasto is the same. They should evolve and progress. But now one of them is being butchered by fools. As Dr. Robert sang, it doesn’t have to be this way.

The core group of circa 25k saved EP from 2008 to 2013. Without it EP was dead.

Posters here are not asking for more expensive acts. They’re asking for a great mix of acts. Not only indie, reggae & heritage but also hip-hop. Of all genres that’d appeal to youth…….

And you make an enormous assumption that twentysomethings don’t do indie. EP sold out this year on the back of a 2022 festival with two indie headliners (Tame Impala & Arctic Monkeys). The festival has increased attendance over the past decade, not based on pop acts, but on an eclectic mix and all the varied attractions it offers.

Finally, apart from the Irish there’s a minuscule number of overseas attendees at Glastonbury. The Brazilians, Aussies and French you meet there are all based on the UK. Same with those you meet at EP.

Where did I say that twenty year olds don’t do indie? making up things I never said.

I said that EP sells out by booking/pandering to chart/pop acts, both Artic monkeys and Tame Impala are chart acts and sell out arenas.

EP 2023 has numerous heritage acts: the killers, Johnny marr, Rick astley, fight like apes, lightning seeds, saw doctors, wolfe tones.

It still has a devoted reggae area in trenchtown.

people on here for last while have been asking my certain expensive acts like Aphex twin, m83 or Yeah Yeahs Yeahs aren’t playing.

as for hip hop, EP was never great for this genre and it’s lack of any on the line up wouldn’t shock anyone. Every year had maybe one or two American hip hop acts and that was about it.

festival republic have longitude which in recent years has been devoted almost exclusivity to hip hop. More of a dance music tilt this year.

The main change over last few years is headliners being more chart oriented and the midcard being a bit more bland. But the former comes with increased capacity and trying to capture superstar acts (with very expensive fees).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The devoted 'Reggae Area' has become very tired too, I often wonder why Trenchtown never took on one of the bookers from the Boomtown Reggae Area to curate some decent reggae headliners, its all became very samey and lazy bookings, of Irish based reggae artists, whereas reggae has more of an international appeal, just look at the UK reggae scene, a completely different set of artists.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

What genre of acts were you referring to?

“….it’s not in EP financial interest to book a ton of expensive acts that don’t appeal to the main festival demographic of 20-30 years.”

Sunday afternoon reggae act has been ditched.

EP never great for hip-hop. Seriously? Last year alone there was Kneecap, Little Simz, Rejjie Snow, Mango X Mathman and several others.

A few other acts would be slightly miffed at being overlooked, a who’s who of hip-hop bands (and some solo acts) of the past four decades - De La Soul, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Wu Tang Clan, A Tribe Called Quest, The Streets, Nas, OutKast, Kendrick Lamar, etc, etc. They even had Jenny Greene and the RTE Concert Orchestra doing a hip-hop special. Please stop saying this sort of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Phishwax

EP headliner Capaldi’s new album is getting fairly rancid reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Roll on the next announcement when we can go back to talking about/slagging off/researching actual bands playing rather than talking about who is/isn't/should/shouldn't be there and the cost of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

If anything, I now enjoy the fact that fanirish now replies to posts with full coherent paragraphs as opposed to half finished sentences.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i just did a quick calculation of the difference of the number of acts between 2013 and 2022.

i discounted any "talking" or "cabaret / art" acts but i included the comedians for completion.

i counted 446 acts in 2013.

i counted 313 in 2022 (i counted 307 from a different source, so im happy enough that thats accurate)

now, we know that in 2022 the capacity was 70k per day.

in 2013 it was 35k per day.

So currently we have 200% of the capacity of 2013 but 30% less acts.

we know that body and soul gone was a huge reason for this, as it almost acted as a festival within a festival, an it really hasn't been replaced at all. its been replaced with talking shops / yoga classes which are attended by one man without his dog.

So while EP can claim every year that "oh we're great, shure dont we sell out without even an act announced" they arent pulling the wool over anyones eyes that they the number and quality of acts has lessened severely over the last few years. They seem happy to pander to, and focus on, that late teens / early 20s demo who dont leave the camp site till dark after loading up on their vodka and red bull.

i certainly do agree with fanirish that there have been a fair few incidents over the years of those mid level acts playing to quite empty tents, but there have also been many cases of some of those acts being the magic that made the weekend for a lot of regular festival goers. If that magic goes (and its on its last legs, especially after last year) then EP could be looking at the twilight of its existence. it already gone for a lot of regulars.

Not exactly a genre of acts but as I said above people asking why Aphex twin, yeah yeahs yeahs, m83 etc haven’t been booked for 2023. These are all very expensive to expensive acts who primary audience are in the 30/40 year category.

as for Sunday reggae act, the reality is the acts that were booked previously like lee scratch Perry and toots have died. Can’t book dead people.

EP has never been great in a numbers sense for hip hop especially American acts. Never more than a few hip hop acts each year out of what 150/200 acts in the line up. Yeah the few big names booked over the year have been great, but it’s never been genre well served on the line up in a quantity sense. A handful of acts for one of the most dominant genres around is piss poor in my opinion.

i personally wouldn’t use the term “great hip hop” when mentioning kneecap and mango x mathman.

You’re again pairing a demographic with an act when many, if not most, straddle all ages. The Strokes and Duran Duran had teenagers singing every last lyric alongside fiftysomethings. A Smiths covers band pulled circa 1,500 last year, mainly youth. Give the younger crew credit for a broad range of taste, not patronise them by lumping them all into one anodyne basket. M83 or the Yeah Yeah Yeahs would pull a large crowd

The two hip-hop acts you mentioned were not labelled as ‘great’ and a basic literate reading of the text would clarify that. Your statement re the lack of hip-hop was demonstrably nonsensical. Stop digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

'As for Sunday reggae act, the reality is the acts that were booked previously like lee scratch perry and toots have died, Can't book dead people.'

@Fanirish there is still a ton of great heritage reggae acts abound, Burning Spear, Macca B (who was brilliant at Stendhal festival in 2021) Black Uhuru, Max Romeo, Jimmy Cliff, Eddie Grant, Misty N'Roots, General Levy, LKJ and the Dennis Bovell Dub Band (who are touring other European festivals as @Dreamweapon pointed out in ATN thread) plus up coming reggae artists such as Protoje and Chronixx (who headlined B&S festival in 2018).

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

i remember the tent that the human league played in in 2005 being absolutely jammers and it really surprised me how much it filled with kids (i would have been 28 at the time) were there bopping away and singing along to all the songs.

i also certainly do not agree that a certain profile of act is only targeted at a particular demography.

an act like jimmy cliff alone would make the whole weekend for me.

• Advertisement

Yep, I personally love lots of 80s & 90s acts but the young Irish indie, electronic, hip-hop and experimental acts are as interesting to me on overt Stradbally excursion. Little Simz was my EP act of 2022 and the tent was rammed with all ages. Billie Eilish could be great in Sept and I enjoyed the half of her set I caught last time.

It ain’t about age, it’s about quality and innovation. In 2023 it’s lacking.

I said primary not sole audience for those acts, a basic literate reading yourself would clarify the difference.

I’ve seen all those acts on recent tours and the shows weren’t full of 20 year olds.

yes young people have broad taste not patronising them. Simply when it comes to booking a festival with a historic audience of young people a Booker naturally books acts that young people are known to love in numbers.

hence why people on here including yourself are constantly complaining that EP is no longer booking acts you like and is giving “banal” acts instead.

it’s not more complex than 20 year olds love Tom brennan, mimi webb, Lewis capaldi, Billie eillish etc let’s spend a ton of money booking them.

you said EP is great for hip hop and listed examples from last year of act.

in the context of a festival with hundreds of act a handful of hip hop is pitiful. Sure you yourself were saying it’s a genre underserved by EP bookers today. So stop going back on your own comments in a matter of minutes.

Simply when it comes to booking a festival with a historic audience of young people a Booker naturally books acts that young people are known to love in numbers.

just on this.

if the historic demography isn't changing, why is the curation of the event changing?

surely if it wasnt broken, there would be no need to fix it.

from a quick google search here's the list of Electric Picnic profit over the last 8 years, at least as close as i can find to it:

2014 profits €650,000

2015 profits €920,000

2016 profits €1,630,000

2017 profits €1,489,000

2018 profits €

2019 profits €1,600,000

2020 profits €2,400,000

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

Tastes change. The bookers perceive that the 20/30 year olds of today favour different music to those of 15 years ago.

If the curation stayed the same they would start to see diminishing returns as a smaller percentage of the audience returned each year.

If the curation stayed the same they would start to see diminishing returns as a smaller percentage of the audience returned each year.

That makes no sense. The capacity grew consistently from 2013 to 2023, to a point is now double. They are most certainly not targeting the same audience year on year, thus that 'diminishing returns' statement is null and void. Even as the capacity grew, that diminishing returns wasn't reflected in profit levels when the curation was considered much the same ie lets say 2010 to 2017 (the last year i personally consider the line up was designed to be catering for most tastes)

we were hoping that 2022 lineup was as a result of the covid hangover, with the severe reduction in the number of acts comparable to capacity, and the increases in costs all round. Personally i think this years is just a tad stronger than last years, but in the main much poorer than previous years.

A a slight aside, It was stark last year that you could walk through areas such as free town, mind and body, and kingston at 5pm in the evening and there was literally nothing happening. empty stage after empty stage. it was very disappointing for a festival such as EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭dav09

I feel the direction the festival is going in I would have expected the likes Longitude to go more so, why fix something that isn't broken. Although I don't really get the new direction of either festival to be honest.

I actually attended Longitude once in 2019 due to it's lineup plus thousands of teeney boppers were selling their weekend tickets for 75 each as ASAP Rocky got jailed and Chance pulled out (2/3 headliners), it was a no-brainer, music wise it was fantastic and had many artists that would appeal to potentially a younger demographic but were really well received by reviewers/ older age groups too. Dave (Mercury Prize winner later that year), Stormzy (decent live act, just after headlining Glastonbury days before), Denzel Curry (Critically Acclaimed album just released), Headie One (played days after being released from prison, went on to release a UK #1 album, critically acclaimed), Slowthai (touring a critically acclaimed album at the time too), Brockhampton again after 3 critically acclaimed albums and a bunch of decent artists too like Juice Wrld, Jpegmafia.

I think from that selection alone, there's some acts that could have crossed over into EP and been more universally enjoyed by different demographics this year rather that some of the acts that I guarantee pretty much no one under the age of 20 will enjoy like some of these Tik Tok celebs that are playing. What I find interesting is that 2020 EP had a few really good hip hop artists on it Skepta (excellent live, Mercury Winner too), Denzel Curry, JID, Jpegmafia, the festival never happened and now did a complete 180 on Hip Hop acts being booked!

Those were a handful of the hip-hop acts at EP 2022. Denise Chaila, JyellowL Kojaque and many more also played.

EP has always done hip-hop, and often top notch stuff. To deny that is delusional.

EP removing hip-hop acts narrows its range. EP removing significant reggae acts from the main arena narrows its range. EP no longer booking African acts narrows its range. EP not booking experimental acts narrows its range.

A vanilla EP is a lesser EP.

Nobody wants the curation to stay stagnant. Most of us want evolution. And crucially, variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭adam240610

I was going through the old socials for it, all the hopeful comments that it'd be back in 2021 :(

I can possibly see them trying for the 30 year anniversary of the last one, the lineup was really good too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'd say there's always hope for next year, the market was probably too crowded for them, but things might settle a bit in terms of inflation, insurance. I'd say sunstroke would need to bring in plenty of international acts so that was probably a pretty big hurdle.

Advertisement