Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get the drainage maps for a housing estate to see who is connected?

Options
  • 19-05-2023 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hello,

I am trying to get the drainage maps for a housing estate in Fingal but I am not being very successful. I rang Fingal county council and asked them for a copy of the maps sent to me, and they told me to contact Uisce Eireann on datarequests[at]water.ie

After I contacted them, they told me that they wouldn't have them and to contact Fingal county council.

I have since tried to find the relevant department to contact, but I am hitting a brick wall.

I have looked up floodinfo.ie and landdirect.ie as well because I thought they would have the layout on them, but I can't seem to find them.

Would anyone know the correct department, and details to contact to get the maps or layout of the drains?

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭blackbox

Planning department should have them from the original planning application.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Enter Username Here

Thank you. Where would I find out which planning department? The estate was built in 1971, I don't know how to get the original planning application, it's not my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭blackbox

Start here.

Older developments won't be on the map but you will be able to deduce which is the relevant planning authority.

Thank you very much. I am going to look at it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Haven't used, but worth a try?

used to get utility maps for work using a dial before you dig service from the various companies years ago, not sure if this is the equivalent now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Being honest it is very unlikely you will get drainage maps, and I would question the accuracy of any that you do get.

Particularly on older estates (and indeed many new ones), drainage plans can be "the plan" but may be altered depending on what is discovered in the ground, or on the depths/locations of existing services that the estate's pipes are to tie into.

I have a memory of going out to survey a mains in the Kildare area and having a drawing showing manholes - not a manhole in sight when we got there.There were 2 council lads having their teabreak in their van on the side of the road, and were looking at the pair of us wondering around in High viz vests.....the 2 lads were able to show us the exact locations of the manholes and the mains, because they laid them.They were not anywhere near where the drawing showed them to be.

Unfortunately this is not the Continent where detailed and relatively accurate records of what utilities are in the ground, are kept.

Your best bet would probably be to ask any local council men you see doing work around the estate, or to keep at the council, but I would say it is quite unlikely that you will find the information ....sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Heard a great comment recently about the philosophical question posed by Socrates on the definition of knowledge, what is known and what is knowable

The answer to all of those questions is nothing, we know nothing, we will never know anything and nothing can be understood

As proof the commentator offered a set of engineering plans of a building, and the building itself. Their relationship is at best dubious and in all likelihood they represent totally different realities

Anyway, that's my philosophical diversion to say that any plans you find probably don't match reality very well 😉

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Thanks everyone for the help.

We eventually got old maps, as somebody knew somebody who knows somebody etc.

But as mentioned here what was expected, is there is no information of the any drains on them. So we could only as the person at the end to use dye in their drain and flush.

The maps were not great at all, I wasn't even sure if they were accurate for the corner house at all. It has been interesting learning and seeing things.

Thank for all the help.

Advertisement