Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TAMS solar panel grant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,699 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If you get the TAMS grant you can sell excess back to the grid now.

Agreement on sale price is between the electric company and yourself. So previously an electric provider was picked on electricity cost. Now sale price of excess electricity from the panels will also have to be considered.

Anyone with three phase will be allowed more panels and capacity to sell back to the grid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Where are you getting this info Say?

Might be small opportunity to get a realistic price on panels before the onslaught happens..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Silverdream

That's great news if you can sell back onto the grid. Hopefully it will be at the unit rate that they charge you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,699 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Local Dairy teagasc / solar business talk in the last few days. And the info was seemingly only days old at that stage from the dept.

Everyone will be at it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Silverdream

As long as the rag doesn't have it on the front page then there will still be time to get ahead of the herd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Mine installed since Christmas, not doing a huge amount yet but still generating a bit..great news on reselling to the grid..pardon the pun but panels will go through the roof now one would assume.. if anybody would like to be referred to the guys that did mine pm me..was happy with the install team to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭qaz123

Any updates on how to use tams grant to install solar PV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Just got paid my 40% from last year. Just a word of warning. By the time you get do all the paperwork, get approval you won't be installing untill August because there will be such a demand for solar you'll be waiting for an installer. Before you pay anything, ask when they will install!. Otherwise you can forget about any savings this year. Also look at you sheds now and see what's getting light. The sun is low from November to February and you need to plan for this when choosing a site or you will produce nothing tangible in these months.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭qaz123

Anybody any feedback on applying for Tams grant for solar PV,

Did solar company complete all paperwork for agfood or did you use your farm advisor?

Anyone have any quotes they are willing to share

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

14k incl vat for a 9 kw panel system with a 6kw invertor installed last month, delighted with its output just about to hit a 1000kw produced in 25 days, icing on the cake is we are using 98% of power the panels are generating

• Advertisement

I've the same system as you Jay with 15kw of battery storage. The only way you can achieve 98% is running an ice builder during the day to suck up excess electricity but when the sun's not out you will be drawing off the grid , so I would say you need a battery system to counter this problem. therefore when the sun is not out your ice builder draws from the battery and when it is out it will charge the battery while also recharging the ice builder. I specifically got a smaller compressor on my Ice builder for this purpose.

Ice Bank compressors here are running regardless, we have a liscarrol silo tank that's cooled by the ice-bank also recirculating water, re the battery storage at 15kw, what kind of cost are the batteries , toying with the idea of putting in another 9kw system with 6kw invertor and battery storage plus add this system to heat the hot water, on night rate here so would charge the batteries on night rate to use for a.m milking and for p.m milking we are using 30kw so it would take the harm out of p.m milking also

Batteries were around 6k for just under 15kw early last year. Think the max I'd go solar with extra panels is 15 kw as batteries are too expensive. Next bit of kit I'm looking at is a biomass boiler that could hear the water for the parlor and heat the farm house. Get rid of the cost of heating oil. Solar is great but there is a limit and in the winter it's really poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is there anything that can be done to store some of the summer energy to reduce winter imports

Re renewables, no but using the likes of kinsale to store lng in the summer months and distribute it in the winter makes alot of sensehttps://www.irishtimes.com/business/2022/11/02/defer-kinsale-pipeline-decommissioning-says-energy-company/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Makes sense but Eamon Ryan is dead set against LNG so won't happen unless a) Greens are booted out and some sensible person is in charge that can overcome green lobbying or b) we're frozen solid and experiencing power outages due to some issues with the current arrangement of getting gas in via the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭amacca

would the feed in tariffs make this worthwhile if you use feck all energy in the yard? fencer, an occasional light, that's about it

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

No I don't think so, but sure you'd need to do your own figures..being in the high tax rate and availing of the grant will help but you still need to use a large portion of the power I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭staples7

anyone recommend any particular solar companies, cork direction? Newly built parlour any advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭staples7

One of the companies ive been speaking to suggested this could be done. I had mentioned it as 2 operate jobs. Ie solar for my house, then a separate system for the yard under TAMS. If it can, happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JohnChadwick

See the terms on one of the forms says you cannot put in a unit that is over sized (based on previous 12 months consumption)

So if you get a price for a 10000kW system and you only used 4000kW in the last 12 months, then you have to pay for the infrastructure required for the remaining 6000kW at your own cost.

Could you just adjust your usage to say it's 10000kW or will they ask for proof of consumption here...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Hey guys, im beginning my application for th panels now. I see that on the application the battery is only covered under the grant if its 50% or less in size of the panels. Im planning on a 6kw worth of panels with a 10kw battery. How will this work out. Hopefully someone here has some insight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zetor 4911

Grant will only cover battery for 50% of panel output anything above this is at your own cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Thanks, but on the application I cannot enter 10kwh of battery as there is a limit. The company I am going with does not have anything smaller.

The Tams got back to me looking for a 1:200 scale drawing of the solar panels. I had submitted it originally as 1:500 as I think this is what was asked for. Anyway.

I'm looking for cad drawing of a solar panel layout I can drop into my drawing layout and send back to TAMS. Has anyone a clue as where I could source such as thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭adriant900

I don't think they need CAD drawings, I say you could do it with a pen and ruler carefully and get away with it.

If you don't want to do that, I paid €5 or€10 for a lad on this website to do it www.fiverr.com

What did yerman on fiverr draw for you?

Just the solar panels themselves or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zetor 4911

I think that the 1:500 is for the whole farmyard drawing and the 1:200 is for the building where the panels will be located.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Father has expressed interest in solar on his small 6ha farm in Galway with a few cows. Originally it was for the house alone and he had some people knock about it. He was made aware of Tams and fact that powering dwelling is now allowed. However his shed, slatted house and yard are 200m as crow flies from house across land (or 250m+ if he follows gravel road\fence line). There's no power currently to those buildings but he has debated it over the years, but ultimately has done without so far, but they'd be ideal to take panels if cost allowed.

First Solar company to quote has said he'd need to power sheds first to be eligible for grant. Makes sense the grant would not cover arranging that supply so we've said we'll look into cost and see if it's worth doing against the 60% relief he'd get for panel install.

• is doing that in any way against the regs?
    • would he be best to run power down from house meter?

To power sheds we're currently assuming that means arranging SWA cable from house meter. Given distance, i read that would be expensive as cable needs to be beefy (Not done calcs or spoke to sparky yet), so currently guessing a few thousand to get that done, which suggests it's worth it....

appreciate any tips or whether it's a non starter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

The size of the installation he would get TAMS approval on would be equal to his previous year's consumption.

I honestly dont know how new power connections would be treated.

As an aside....he can put in for TAMS for new wiring to the yard.

Advertisement