Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much did Motorways improve the driving times

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The N4 from Mullingar to Sligo is a nightmare still. It needs attention. No reason why that trip could be brought down to 90 mins. I done it recently at it was approx 2hrs30. Donegal should be factored into this also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

Ashford and Rathnew were the bane of my childhood and I always thought they were absolutely miles apart, live nearby now and its crazy really, Arklow was mental on a bank holiday weekend.

this is a great resource for layering over the latest aerial photos and maps

https://webapps.geohive.ie/mapviewer/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DC the entire way is planned but Ryan is not putting any effort in to even letting stuff go to planning.

The last lethal bit (beyond Castlebaldwin) was done, now Mullingar to Longford, and Carrick need to be prioritised

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Mother Hubbards in Enfield used to be our regular stop for breakfast on the way to Athlone/Galway before the M6.

I remember the old N9 as well. That was a nightmare in places especially the bit from Waterford to Kilkenny especially and in around Moone/Timolin or Kilcullen.

I'm sure the people who live in these bypassed places don't miss the traffic either. Improved infrastructure doesn't just benefit the drivers, it also makes those place more pleasant for those who live in them.

• You really needed those breaks back in the day.

I remember Cork-Dublin stop off at Urlingford and some very heavy meals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

About a month ago I had to get my NCT done before the end of April, and any local test centres (Dublin) were offering dates of Nov. I kept looking at every centre - some offering Aug. I found Tuam offering Early April with a few days notice, So I booked and headed west. Up and down in one day.

At Athlone, I decided to go the back road across the bog. It was a delight to get off the boring motorway and onto a real road - with nearly no traffic. It took no longer than going to the M6 and M17, and the test centre was on the eastern side of Tuam. I returned the same way. A delightful drive.

The car passed.

They are delightful drives now. Not when you were stuck between a plonker doing 50 in a 100KM area and a hundred cars behind him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Only a delight now because the motorways have taken the bulk of the traffic off them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, yes the lack of the motorway traffic probably helped. However, most times when I drive west past Athlone on the M6, there is very little traffic anyway. So there cannot be that much diversion.

However, the rise in the price of fuel may have reduced the traffic on these roads, and it was pre-contractor/tractor time as well.

You only need on fool ignoring his rearview to cause a massive tail back

• Advertisement

• I remember being in the car on journeys from Dublin-Cork as a kid and it was an epic journey. It certainly took more than 4 hours.

It's gotta be stressful driving on busy single carriageway for over 250 km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

I remember once needing 2 hours or more to get through Loughrea. You wouldn't have wanted to be in any hurry going anywhere in Ireland before the motorways were built. They were and are a complete godsend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

For me it used to be an hour and a half from Fermoy to Thurles at the worst. Bank holiday Fridays were a disaster.

Now it's 40 mins and way, way safer

The motorways are one of the most successful infrastructure projects delivered in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The cullenmore bends dear god...was so close to home yet sat there for so long. Or would walk down to the shop on a Friday/coming out of school and just bumper to bumper traffic non-stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Interesting you say that; we went south Wicklow to north Connemara every weekend or every second weekend throughout 1980s. 180 miles total and I can clearly remember it as an average 55 miles an hour for a particular 165 mile stretch my father would always time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Volume of vehicles on the roads in the 1980s versus the early-mid 00s just before the motorway network mostly opened would probably have been a third. There were still masses of delays though.

And with a 55mph speed limit 1979-1990, plus all the 30s in towns on the way, your father was speeding on any of the open road sections - naughty naughty! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you got so bored queueing that you took time out to pop your cherry?

Advertisement