Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lol the Papps got the memo to troll the crap out of them I see.

So all in all, this was down to their own driver being stupid, just like Diana's death was down to an amateur protection driver pissed as a fart driving a 2 ton Mercedes through a narrow urban tunnel at 130 km/h odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,136 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They, like all persons, get the presumption of innocence until guilt is affirmed.

Huh? There is no trial. 😕

We will have to wait and see if criminal damage is reported regarding the paps crashing into all those parked cars you linked to.

OJ who was accused of brutally murdering 2 people is not the same thing as these couple of pricks been pursued by paparazzi.

But again a reasonable person would think that obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

just very curious....how would anyone manage to have a 2 hour car chase in New York city without just about every police car/helicopter/swat team etc being called out? we had a young one here in Dublin chased from Ballymun along the M50 and back to Ballymun a couple years ago and i think every Garda car in the country was involved...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

Because it was the paps not ISIS.

It is not illegal to pursue people around for hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

No, they did not inform anyone of their post awards plans (which was they were heading straight back to where they were staying). It was assumed (not without reason) that they would be going somewhere for dinner, but were not.

Now that Backgrid have acknowledged ownership of the images, they can be sued in court by H&M, something which they have done already in California when paps took photos of them in the backgarden with a drone, and they won their case and the newspapers were unable to use them. I guess that is what will happen here as the Mail & Express have already taken down the photos of them in the yellow taxi. I'd be pretty sure that their legal team would have been on the ball and got them.

Backgrid not so smart really telling them to back off. H&M have now a legal case to persue them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I think sooner or later we will have the whole film of the "chase". There is monitoring everywhere there.

But to be chased, you first to escape. If you escape dangerously, so then you are guilty of the danger caused, if that's what happened. Why they couldn't deal with it in a safe manner?

They were in a public area, not in their private property, so as public figures they could have been photographed.

The gardai were like the Romans in the life of Brian that night 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

every time i think of that benny hill theme music comes to mind 😂

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

You need to check your facts there.

The drone case in California was a clear case of the law being broken: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB856

TLDR; This law from 2015 prohibits entering the airspace of an individual in order to capture an image or recording of that individual engaging in a private, personal or familial activity without permission. This legislation is a response to the use of UAS by the press in covering celebrities and other public figures.

The paps were not breaking any laws in NY that day in regards to taking their picture. Whether or not they broke some other laws of endangering people or the public or property etc... is another matter which has yet to be determined according to the NYPD, since they said in an official statement that No arrests or collisions or injuries or summons had occurred.

Since backgrid have all the evidence and videos I am sure they know what they are dealing with here and are confidently able to tell them to F.Off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Principle still applies- if the “chase” was as described by H&Ms publicity people there would have been a lot more action on the street- it’s total rubbish what’s being claimed

Great- glad we cleared that up

That may well be the case in New York. I wonder why they passed that legislation in California. Do some people think that these photos are not the photographer's property. I know here in Ireland, to use a photo you must get the permission of the person involved unless its in a public situation where press are invited. You see this for example with sporting teams - for example, Ireland/Leinster retain an agency to take photos of training and games who can then distribute them. They don't have a licence to stalk the players or camp outside their homes looking for photos. In other less formalised settings (such as vox pops etc., they usually look for a signature to confirm that you allow its publication.

CNN have done a composite report of what was reported.

Interesting that they say that at no stage did M&H's spokesperson's claim that it was a high speed chase. It would be interesting to find out who stated that in the first place so that it went viral. Perhaps the Mail/Express/Sun.

For those of you rubishing the high speed chase - where did you learn of this and from whom?

Hey @Oscar_Madison, where did you find out about the supposed high speed chase?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They weren’t in a private garden and they weren’t photographed by drone. No expectation of privacy concern being on a city street.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

Still probably the best thing ever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Well if Scobie said it, thats done and dusted, ironclad testimony. /s

It does not say it was high speed.

So where did you hear that it was a high speed car chase?

Test time.

Read the Omid Scobie tweet above along with the statement from the Sussex spokesperson.

Question 1: Using inference/critical thinking/common bloody sense, how might you (or media) describe the possible/likely speed of the vehicles involved in this chase based on the tweet/statement?

1.       Mostly Stationary.

2.       Slow speed.

3.       Medium speed.

4.       High speed.

Well?

You will need to explain to me who is the non-human and who is the human in this case.

• Advertisement

Have you ever been to New York?

The answer is probably all 4.

But again the claim here was a pursuit, which is rather strange people find that so unbelievable.

Hate, it's a strange thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Omid scobie says here that at some points they were driving up to 80mph. ( This is after he starts out saying that it wasn't a fast and the furious style chase lol )This seems unlikely for Manhattan. That's faster than I get to on the freeway fgs, let alone crowded city streets with a crosswalk every few hundred feet. Also, it's illegal so will their driver be getting penalized? If it's true they are the ones who could have killed someone

How about a General Knowledge/IQ test?

You read a tweet and PR statement which uses evocative phrases such as " car chase", "highly aggressive paparazzi" and "fatal". Which of the following famous people springs to mind when reading the tweet and statement?

1. Daniel O'Donnell.

2. The Pope.

3. Princess Diana.

4. Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ironically Ronaldo did have a pretty serious crash in a tunnel.

I got married there. Been there lots. Did you not understand the question? It clearly says to answer based on the tweet/statement. I find your lack of comprehension strange not to mention the deflection. Why not try the general knowledge test posed.

Speaking of lack of comprehension. You are fully aware of how it unfolded, but here you are still banging away trying to shoehorn in phrases that were not said.

Honestly I'm still recovering from your fantasy kidnap fiction from yesterday.

Can you not take a day off and ground your opinion in reality for once, please?

I am fully aware about what happened? Even the NYPD aren’t fully aware yet and are still investigating. Their initial assessment is that the whole thing lasted 20 minutes. Care to enlighten us about what really happened? Phrases that were not said? Read the initial tweet and PR statement again and use some inference please. This contrarianism from you is so predictable by now. Take a break from that perhaps.

Basically, how dare I use common sense. Hate. Give it a rest. This was an award that didn’t get any major coverage. Then the following day a provocative tweet/statement which evokes memories of the circumstances surrounding Princess Dianas death and then Harry and Meghan and their pap chase is suddenly all over the mainstream news. Even our main evening news covered it.

I am fully aware about what happened? Even the NYPD aren’t fully aware yet and are still investigating.

🤔

Anyway.

Any time he gets chased by Paps I imagine the media will invoke his mother. It's what they do.

I think that their best course of action is to throw whoever this spokesperson was and/or Scobie under the bus. The former more likely than the latter since it doesn’t help that Scobie is a witness in his court case. Him and the other key witness for him who is a self-confessed "professional liar". The tweet and statement blatantly conjured up memories of Diana. That was what media picked up on. Putting my PR hat on then they may put out a "From the desk of..." statement (statement because they are super important) and call out the official and initial reporting as unhelpful, inaccurate and, via hyperbole, brought up hurtful memories of Harrys mother, that they welcomed the assistance of the NYPD on Tuesday evening and they will continue their ongoing fight against misinformation etc. etc.

• Advertisement

What was confusing about the quote. The NYPD isn’t even clear what happened.

Advertisement