Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

They make a great trainer for pilots who are expected to progress to single seat or tandem seat aircraft.....

so...

ehm...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Sure would. If it wasn't 80yrs old.

PC9 is a (very nice) trainer for aircraft we don't have. I don't begrudge the ACs having something to keep their hand in. But I think there were better choices. We are where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Interesting he mentioned training in Italy even the RAF are now going to send there crews to get trained there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I hadn't realized fast jet training has become such an issue for everyone until those articles posted earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Yeah. Even the Septic Tanks are having problems in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭RavenP

@delusiondestroyer

I will address your comments regarding threats to Ireland, but it is worth noticing that you did not seek to challenge my point about the RAF. You said earlier that it is good that Ireland was protected by the RAF and suggested that if Ireland was looking to its own defence its citizenry would be vulnerable. That means that you consider that there IS an aerial threat.

I then suggested that the relatively small size of the current RAF meant that they could not actually defend Ireland, and you have not challenged that. So you are accepting that there is an aerial threat to Ireland and that the RAF cannot cover it.

Regarding changed situations this comes in two ways. There is more geopolitical threat than probably any time since the early 80s. But in the past decades Ireland has changed. Ireland is now part of the western capitalist economy, a big part. frankly part of ireland's industrial complex would be a target if the current regional conflict became global. It is not just cables, but factories, ports, microwave communications. If there was a wider war Ireland would be a target. No doubt about it. IS it going to happen? IDK but both sides, west and east, have hyped this, neither side, neither regime can loose. Both sides will escalate rather than loose. Once escalation starts where might it end?

The second thing is back in the day Ireland was poor. It could afford to not take a meaningful part in its defence because it had no real money. Now Ireland has plenty and most of the "allies" see that Ireland is rich because it has their tax dollars, whether that is a fair assessment or not. This is where diplomatically Ireland needs to be seen to move. Ireland is sovereign of course, it can set any tax, any defence spend it likes, but it will loose a LOT of the good will it has if it doesn't seem to pay up along with the rest. Now that of course helps the ,western military industrial complex, but there is no reason why Ireland could not build its own ships, armoured vehicles and ammunition, and spend a lot of that money at home. How about a state owned arms business. Worse ideas out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

The RAF can certainly police Irelands skies comfortably. Are you suggesting that the threat will be a all out attack in such a capacity that 130 top tire fighters would be stretched thin?

Again if this is the case your going to have to give an example of this threat who is going to project that power? When talking about Defence you have to be realistic.

We already have an agreement with the RAF that works for both countries and the cats and dogs know it, we havent had safe skies for decades on decades by chance.

Im not accepting there is a threat im discussing your suggestions that there is a threat and trying to identify exactly what threat you think there is and how it is so severe that it would stretch the RAF to breaking point on home turf.

Once i know your stance on those points we can discuss the rest.

I think you are disregarding the geographical safety Ireland has, surely you would agree sandwiched between the US and UK and on an Island we would be a tall order to attack in a meaningful manner both nations would in no way stand idle as Ireland was attacked. And i don't think there is any strategist in the world that would suggest such an attack he would have to be a moron. The logistics of it alone would be a nightmare.

In regards to infrastructure that would be the connection point for the US and UK and an attack on that would be deemed an attack on both those countries and they would respond due to there own national interest.

So this idea that Ireland is isolated and on its own to defend infrastructure doesn't hold any weight in depth.

Also this article gives good insight into the attacks on the cables and how it wouldn't be anywhere nearly as easy to do or devastating as people seem to believe.

The idea of Ireland being this last great defender of internet just isnt that true at all when you look at the situation in depth.

I think the problem with your argument is that it is based on straw men. You suggest that 130 (125 actually) RAF aircraft can defend Ireland. Of course they can. You also say that Ireland culud never defend itself one on one against a great power, correct again. But these assume a war of aggression against Ireland with no other geopolitical context. Vanishingly unlikely.

If there is a world conflict, or even Europe wide conflict, it is unlikely that the RAF would have any planes left to protect Ireland. Also in a world or Europe wide conflict Ireland would not need to have vast resources to protect itself, as an agressor would only have a small fraction of its assets to target Ireland with.

The chances of a major conflict like this have increased in recent years. Neither the US, UK or Russia are, frankly, acting like grown ups in this whole thing. I agree with your post re cables, but just to remind you it was I who first said the risks were "not just cables". Mind you cables are vulnerable in different ways. During the Brexit negotiations the NS announced that a tap had been dscovered on an Irish undersea cable which was, apparently, carried out by a Five Eyes state. No Russia there. SOmeone it seems was spying on Irish comms with the EU. The NS need the capability to monitor cables for more reasons than Russia!

Let me ask you a few direct questions

1. Do you believe that the geopolitical situation is dangerous at present?
    2. Do you believe there is a risk of escalation to involve more European powers?
    3. Do you believe that as an integrated part of the wider western industrial complex, Ireland could be a target in a wider European power?

Because I will state here and now that I believe the answer to each to be in the affirmative.

And I am not even going to discuss the risks to Ireland from a possible UK breakup, which are considerable.

How would you answer those three questions, and why? We can then discuss what, if any, Ireland's response should be.

Because the RAF never considered replacing the beloved Hawk. Italian AF are in the process of replacing the MB339 with the M346, in the required quantities.

Plus they also operate Typhoon and F35

• Advertisement

Firstly can you give an example of this scenario you are talking about? My argument cant be a strawman because im simply questioning what you are saying.. you state this wider conflict vaguely with no real elaboration and expect it to be taken as gospel.

Can you be specific about the scenario which you are suggesting?

Again what threat do you envision is going to stretch the RAF (130 Jets check again) and allies so thin on home turf? who's the aggressor projecting such power?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Its a wonder the UK do not just build there own licence built version of the M346 or simlar .

1) No I do not think the geopolitical situation right now is dangerous for Ireland. Threat level would be very low.

2) Nope i think Russia has ran its race in the Ukraine and looking for an off ramp, they cant deal with what they currently have on there plate without attacking an NATO nation. As there power projection is pathetic (they would be mauled).

3) No I dont think it would, and the reason being is again "How" and "who" is going to attack us and to achieve what.

I have a few questions for you.

1) Hypothetically speaking If Ireland did all that you wished and invested and bought 15-20 jets do you think this would be enough in a full scale war?

2) If this wider conflict that you are saying was to break out and Ireland was to find itself alone as you suggest how would we arm our jets and troops in a prolonged conflict as we have no military industry of our own?

3) Faced with a direct combined arms attack of the scale which you are referencing how long do you think the "upgraded" defence forces would last against a superior modern force? Say US, UK, Russia, France military ect. Because to be realistic these are the nations that can project power to attack Ireland or even able to attempt the scenario you are suggesting?

All the main military bases identified and getting hit with massive pre-emptive cruise missile strikes along with all other military infrastructure being hit few planes downed before they get off the runway and when the ones that do get off the ground they are met 5th gen fighter jets in superior numbers.

As i said your argument falls down when the simply questions of "Who" and "How" are asked.

@delusiondestroyer

"1) No I do not think the geopolitical situation right now is dangerous for Ireland. Threat level would be very low.

2) Nope i think Russia has ran its race in the Ukraine and looking for an off ramp, they cant deal with what they currently have on there plate without attacking an NATO nation. As there power projection is pathetic (they would be mauled).

3) No I dont think it would, and the reason being is again "How" and "who" is going to attack us and to achieve what."

Well I think that is the problem, I disagree with your analysis there!

Specifically I think that the chance of escalation is greater than it has been. I think we do not in the west understand the Russian military very well or its capabilities. It has been, since the breakup of the USSR, very much a defensive military, for a start. Also I think that the Russians have hamstrung themselves by not actually declaring it a war. They cannot, legally, declare a full mobilisation, because they do not want to admit they are at war. Also Russian doctrine, since the Czars, has been to use your worst, poorest trained troops in these sort of conflicts, and save your better troops for the real war. For instance the absence of the VVS from the theatre suggests that this may be the doctrine they are following. I am not saying that the Russian's have impressed in Ukraine, but there is a deep seated ideological need in the west to underestimate the Russians, and I think much of the information we are hearing plays into that. Also the population at large are not really aware how much western might has actually been arranged in Ukraine holding the Russians. The entire western stocks of whole classes of munitions are seriously depleated. Remember Ukraine has an army before the war of about 1 million including reserves. Perfect proxy army for the west.

But you see I am not really worried about a war now, I am worried about one sometime in the next twenty or thirty years, that is the time scale for which we need to plan, and all I can say is the world is unstable in a way it hasn't for many decades. I do not need to know who i going to rob my house to know it might be robbed. I also have big concerns about the potential breakup of the UK, and the possible consequences of that.

Blasphemy!

If its not British Made, the RAF will never use it (Unless they try and fail miserably, see Nimrod AEWACS). The masses are wailing from the rooftops as it is that portions of the new Tanker fleet will be built somewhere other than the UK.

The Shorts Tucano was a british made version of an Embraer product, which not alone shared no parts with the original, barely shared parts with other aircraft of the type. It was withdrawn from service long before the Hawk it was supposed to succeed, remained in use. Now they are using a Beech Texan II whic is a US built PC9.

@delusiondestroyer

"1) Hypothetically speaking If Ireland did all that you wished and invested and bought 15-20 jets do you think this would be enough in a full scale war?

2) If this wider conflict that you are saying was to break out and Ireland was to find itself alone as you suggest how would we arm our jets and troops in a prolonged conflict as we have no military industry of our own?

3) Faced with a direct combined arms attack of the scale which you are referencing how long do you think the "upgraded" defence forces would last against a superior modern force? Say US, UK, Russia, France military ect. Because to be realistic these are the nations that can project power to attack Ireland or even able to attempt the scenario you are suggesting?

All the main military bases identified and getting hit with massive pre-emptive cruise missile strikes along with all other military infrastructure being hit few planes downed before they get off the runway and when the ones that do get off the ground they are met 5th gen fighter jets in superior numbers."

1. you forget what I said earlier. Any threat to Ireland is only going to come about because of a wider conflict. The amount of men, ships, planes, missiles, whatever, by any power, is going to be limited in that scenario. It is quite feasible to develop a realistic island defence strategy based on that kind of scenario. I, actually, think that about 30-40 jets is what would be needed! Also they do not really need to be up to the minute. 4th gen fine, by the time the war gets to Ireland the 5th gen planes will be in the hangers undergoing deep maintainence. Non military people fixate on equipment, military people fixate on logistics, morale and training.
    2. If you had read my post I suggested that Ireland needs some kind of defence industry. At the very least for munitions, ships and armoured vehicles. It should be considered part of any realistic long term strategic safety plan for Ireland.
    3. Against any big power, Ireland has no chance, but against 10% of the forces of a big power, Ireland has a very good chance.

There is an interesting story from the last war to illustrate the point. In 1939 the Irish began a big military buildup. By 1941 the state had a standing army of 40,000 with basic infantry weapons, macnine guns, some arty and home made armoured cars (decent enough actually). The British were worried about a German invasion. They asked the Irish to do some excerises to show an Irish response to a german invasion based on 25,000 Nazi paratroops and a limited sea landing. At the end of the excercise the British had concluded, much to Churchill's glee apparently, that the Irish would be able to hold the Germans on the Suir and the Barrow, and counterattack with fair chance of destroying the attackers. The lesson of this story is that if you said Ireland vrs Nazi Germany would not have given the Free State much chance, but Ireland vrs what the Nazis had to spare while a European War was going on, is a very different story.

I understand some of what you say. It comes from a kinda "cool" sure what is the point attitude. But it is wrong, for all that.

So I'm correct in saying that you cannot give any example of the threats that you are stating?. But you want a massive outlay of military spending...

It would be like me putting razor wire and watch towers outside my because ya never know.... These things have to be tempered with reason..

You don't know what the threat is but your sure the RAF will be over ran...

You don't know the threat but you know they will be able to get to Ireland and launch a sustain attack..

You can't back what your saying with anything logical like who can do this and how they would do it even..

How would they even attack Ireland ?

Well I said already that I actually think a post-Brexit civil war is a risk. I also said that I think a European war is a risk. But why focus on the specifics. THe actual coalition of forces is hard to forsee roight now. You are setting your own criterion here of having to know the exact origin of a threat. It is a nonsense criterion. Do you know the identity of the person who might enter you house before you lock your door at night? If the guards cannot tell you that Sammy the tea leaf will rob you tonight do you leave the front door wide open? Because if you do not your point is meaningless.

I never said the RAF would be overrun, just that in an actual real live war they will not have enough aircraft to defend Ireland.

Part of the reason we must look to POTENTIAL threats is that it is not 1941 anymore and WW2 lessons are not relevant. Too many people fight the last war! Irish defence strategy in the Cold War was get the basic training done and we can buy a load of gear and finish training on the good stuff in six months. Today you do not make that jump in six months, but in ten years. If Ireland decided to go down the fast jet route, for example, today, it would take a decade to get it all together.

But leaving everything else aside, the Brits are nearly bankrupt, unstable, potentially turning far right, with half of their second largest member wanting to seceede from the union. They are an unreliable partner. They will not be our chum in the future, or if they are it is at a big cost. Do you want to be potentially depending on someone like Boris Johnson? Answer me that!

Ok we dont need to know the threat then how would they go about attacking Ireland in the first place? It isnt nonsense they are just the questions in which alot of this stuff falls flat because Ireland is actually difficult to attack with the UK at one side and the US at the other, it would have to be something absolutely crazy for us to be under sustain attack and in either case our spending would be irrelevant we wouldnt have the ability to finish a war or even sustain one past the opening stages on our own.

We are simply too small with 0 natural resources low man power and no military industry to replenish supplies and ammunition.

But that aside grand say we are preparing for an attack how far should we go with it? just jets? or patriot defense systems... wheres the line?

These are all relevant questions if you want to spend big you cant just throw military hardware at a problem and hope for the best it doesnt work! reference the Ukraine war and the great Russian convoy!

Thats a tall order asking the UK to collapse and then go feral and attack Ireland... dont think the US would be tooo happy with that! Especially since we are important infrastructure wise..

• Advertisement

Well I am actually partly in agreement with you there! I am not convinced that interecptors are good value for Ireland. I can see that our "allies" are pushing us to acquire interceptors, but is that really in our best interests?

I have to say, from the offset, that I I believe Ireland needs stronger defences, We certainly need radars, and mobile as well as fixed radars. We also need to defend our radars with missile batteries, good missile batteries, but more widely I think that our AD could be based more around denial of access principles than actual air superiority. To do that we would not need intercetors or air superiority fighters, just in depth missile defences, and those are much, much cheaper than jets. . But if we could effectively deny access over active theatres to foreign aircraft, by a first rate missile defence, we could much better spend the saved money on the army, and on cyber defence and at sea. I would suggest that it might even be possible to make missiles under license in Ireland, or possibly even design and build decent AA missiles, from scratch, in Ireland. We actually do have the capability in Irish industry, if we wanted to do that, Heck we could even sell them.

I mentioned the absence of the VVS in Ukraine. THis is partly because the Russians are holding back, but it is also becasuse the Ukrainans have missile defence in depth. The SS300s and Patriots are doing a very good job, and are cheaper than an airforce. Even the patriot missiles are not that expensive, a few million a round, although by the time you have the radars, launchers and all the amissiles etc a full system is about 1 biilion, but Ireland could have a few of those, and a few more cheaper medium range systems, like the new Swedish mid range system, and have a very effective defence for 1/3 of the price of a jet squadron, by the time maintenance etc is priced in. To give some context, a Patriot Battery has 8 launchers, each loaded with four patriot missiles. THree batteries, supplemented with some more medium range missiles would cost a few billion, but would last thirty years with out major upgrade and no-one would want to enter our airspace with hostile intent!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Good points. A missle is great but it's all or nothing shoot down or don't shoot at all. Still there is nothing like a manned jet that can go and see what is going on.

There is a firm in Belfast who manufacture state of the art missiles.

So gettin hold of kit should not be a problem.

Anyway. Multirole jet fighters are a very important element of the national defence. You can't rely solely on missiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭sparky42

A missile, be it SAM or ASM has the exact issue that a poster has been running around proclaim ends in nukes. It’s use or not. Once fired it’s a good chance of killing whoever it’s been fired at, said nation might take that unhappily, and if someone fires it at a civilian airliner that is no responsive for whatever reason everyone is going to be unhappy. Moreover said systems work as part of a whole, as individual systems they have weaknesses, hence why nations invest in multiple defensive capabilities, and really there is nothing a combination of SAMs and ASMs bring that any of the current gen fighters bring.

@sparky42 @saabsaab

Missiles are no use for QRA, that is true. But.... how much will QRA actually add to Irish defence for the cost? It will take 300 million pa to maintain QRA, that means four interecptors on standby, yes in a crisis we can press maybe 12 of our 16 into use, but that is still only intercept, no ground attack or air superiority capability. To do that would mean 30 or 40 aircraft, maybe 200 pilots, several hundred techs, basically another air corps beside the current one, and a whole new set of infrastructure, 5-600 mil a year.

Why not forget all of that and have missile defence for denial of access. Forget about ground attack, and go for more spotting drones, 155mm arty, surface to surface missiles and anti-ship missiles for the army and navy, and loads of munitions for the price of the QRA squadron alone.

The reason why our neighbours want us to do QRA is that it takes the strain off them, not because it makes us safer. Just do not bother with intercepts in peace time and keep our missiles until a war or similar situation.

@jonnybigwallet Multirole sounds like the ticket. But multirole is a LOT more than buying mulitrole jets! For a start you need entirely different munitions. But the really important bit is that you need different pilots. A QRA pilot does a job, a ground attack pilot a different job, entirely different. With modern systems you cannot simply fly one mission one day and another the next (ok a few very experienced pilots, just possibly). You just cannot buy multirole fighters and have a multirole airforce. BTW this is a problem the RAF are coming up against big time. THey have planes capable of multiple roles and the munitions, but the pilots are only trained for one role. It does mean, theoretically, that the techs would have less to do, if the F35 was not such a spare part supply line dodgy, under-powered, over engined, maintenance disaster. Ireland needs to up its defence spending BIG, but we do need to ask, for a small country, what gives us the best bang for buck (no pun intended). We could buy a Type 31 frigate every year for the price of QRA. We could buy thirty Leopard 2 or similar MBT for the price of a single years QRA. If we spent ten years QRA budget on missiles we could have 24 patriot batteries with a thirty year life span! Get real about defence, but avoid fast jets, they are pissing in the wind. If we double the DF budget, but avoid jet fighters, we can go to LOA 3 no problem. Use missiles instead. That said I would love to see a squadron of F15s with the AC roundel!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭sparky42

I'm sorry but I'm going to ask for proof on that claim, the RAF have a pilot problem and they have a numbers problem, both mainly by budget reasons, but I'd like some evidence of your claims, most "Ground Attack" missions are now using LGBs or Stand off munitions like Spear etc (when we are talking about the RAF), so I really doubt that can't rotate pilots, the dedicated ground attack roles are gone with the Harrier and Jaguar. The RAF does have a habit of "fleets within fleets" of what are the same airframe but with different roles and specs but that's more one of their quirks, but I very much question the suggestion that multirole aircraft aren't that, and for the love of god can we stop using the F35 as the go to as to everything bad, every one of the current gen aircraft, from F16, 18, Gripen, Rafale, Typhoon are all multirole capable, stop flogging a dead horse that has no part of any discussion for Ireland.

Everything has a cost, you buy a SAM system and think that its still going to be capable in 30 years without spending serious money buying new add ons you are kidding yourself (ie the Patriots of today might have the same name as those in the First Gulf War but are in effect totally different animals), same for ASMs. Moreover again as I said they operate as systems within systems, by themselves they are vulnerable and limited

I'm struggling to believe the cost you have quoted to maintain a QRA capability of 4 aircraft. Surely wouldn't be anything like that much?

You mentioned ground attack as being an overlooked topic here. I think I mooted the idea of getting a small fleet of L39NG for the ground attack role and general training. I got shot down in flames on that one so I just dropped it as no point in floggin a dead horse. I still think a GA fleet gives a bit more strength in depth.

The point I've been trying to get across is you can't rely on any single piece of equipment to guarantee safety.. and yet I've been attacked repeatedly for pointing out the facts and limitations of the strategy people want implemented.

If Ireland is realistic about military defence the first port of call is into a military alliance..

We are never going to have a multilayered military to the effect of the us or UK we simply won't spend the money and havent the man power.

It's all well and good have 10 jets and 10 sam's and 10 Abrams or what ever you get the just! but that's simply too small to fight a prolonged conflict.

Now there is still the other side that an attack on Ireland is extremely unlikely this shouldn't be glossed over either.

• Advertisement

@sparky42 The problems that the RAF has with multirole aircraft, but not multirole pilots was pointed out in a report by Justin Bronk, for the Royal UNited Services INsitiute called, "Regenreating Warfighting Credibility for European NATO Airforces". It is a fascinating document, which basically states that the gap between the VVS and the western European airforces is much less than the media wold lead us to believe, and that without the US the European airforces could not withstand a VVS assault. There are problems with numbers of airframes, overly complex tech, not enough runway repair facilities, lack of munitions, the expense of some guided munitions, and not enough pilot training time, in fact many airforces, including the RAF struggling to meet training targets, and not carrying out any more training than the Russians.

Advertisement