Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Go in Galway city

Options
  • 19-05-2023 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hi does anyone know which pubs in Galway show matches on gaa go?

Looking to watch the Galway Tyrone match tomorrow evening. Rang 3 or 4 I know with many TVs and they aren't showing it. Not much of a so called sporting town by the looks of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'd imagine McGinns would be showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Thanks!

I didn't think it'd be a select few showing it. Can't imagine pubs in Roscommon town or Mayo would be as blasé about showing their matches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

The GAAGO thing has complicated things.Even in Mayo there'll be more pubs showing the heineken cup final than Mayo Kerry tomorrow.

A pub will have to be set up for it including a commercial sub and they won't even be sure what games are going to be on it.

If they pay the overall subscription though would they not get access to every match like at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

Yes but a lot of places aren't set up for streaming and casting,I'm thinking of several old man pubs I know.

Also they don't know what matches are on it,I'm guessing from QF onwards (ie when it matters) will be on a proper channel.

First big games on GAAGO and there was always going to be issues like this.Im pretty sure with the amount watching Mayo and Kerry tomorrow there'll be technical issues too but I'm going a bit off topic there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Galway is a sporting town now? I thought we were an art town, cultural town, tourist town. Is the number of pubs showing a match the unit of measure for determining if a town is 'sporting'? What is the magic number (probably a percentage) of pubs that qualifies the town as sporting? Who validates the numbers? I do question your sample sise of pubs, but I'm going to assume we are not a so called sporting town either till I see some hard numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

And in fairness, GAA is just one of many sports in Galway. A few years ago in Capones in Knocknacarra some Mayo people asked me the start time of some match between Galway and Mayo. When I told them I hadn't a clue, they looked at me like I came from another planet :-)

I've heard it mentioned plenty of times over the years on radio etc based on the number of top level teams that play in the city-Galway United, Connacht Rugby, Galway GAA teams.

Is the number of pubs showing a match the unit of measure for determining if a town is 'sporting'?

Absolutely yes, it shows level of, or lack of, interest.

What is the magic number (probably a percentage) of pubs that qualifies the town as sporting? Who validates the numbers?

Any pubs that frequently state on social media what matches are on their tvs that night, or that weekend, are sporting pubs. They use live sport to get punters in. If they aren't showing a match like Galway Tyrone then it's a poor reflection on the level of interest in it, and a poor reflection on Galway city from a sporting point of view. You can be sure there'll be plenty of people in Galway for the weekend who would expect that match to be on in most pubs.

Numbers wise you can work that out, you're obviously more bothered by numbers here.

I'd say there'd be a lot more visitors to the city who'd be more interested in a Premier League game or the European rugby that'll be on than a round robin Gaa game. Plus if they were that interested couldn't they head out to the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Avon8

An Pucan have GAA Go supposedly. Taffe's, being a huge Galway football bar, would have it id guess but will be wedged as always on a Saturday evening. From knowing those running The Dail bar, they'd usually be wise to this sort of thing so a good chance it on in there also

You'd hardly just walk the 25 mins out and actually go to the game? Weather decent and Salthill should have a good buzz

• Advertisement

Just because there may be only a few pubs showing the match doesn't mean the answer is that we have to go to the match. I can't go, have work later so need to try watch it in town for a while.

Pucan didn't know anything about it earlier when I checked in. Few places I thought would be wise to it alright aren't showing it. Mcgettigans too styled themselves as a sports pub with monitors outside the front but they said they aren't showing it.

I've work later so can't go to the match, just want to watch what I can before work.

Like the above poster, its going off topic, and is not the point, saying anyone who wants to watch it should head out to it.

If I can't I'm just pointing out the difficulty finding pubs that are showing it. Grand if a few show it, but a town as big as Galway needs a lot of pubs showing it otherwise it'd he ridiculously wedged in each one. Nothing wrong with watching big matches in a pub with a small bit of elbow room either!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

You can pick and choose any 3 game bundle on gaa go for €24. Might be better than going to a pub if you work Saturday nights.

I didn't suggest you go to Salthill. You said there's be a lot of visitors to the city who would be looking to watch it. I doubted that and suggested if they were indeed so eager they could always go to Salthill and watch it live. Would seem a good fit for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Avon8

If I worked Saturday night, personally the last thing I'd want to do in life is head (presumably sober) to a pub to watch a game when I could watch it at home. Each to his own of course

P.s. I'm told AN Pucan have it. Maybe just for pint buyers

Have you never gone to a new town or city, wanted to have a few drinks and then thought it'd be good to watch whatever match is on at that time? It's called casual sports fans.

People from neutral counties watch other counties play football but they don't want to go to the cost or trouble of going to those matches either.

You're saying anyone who's interested enough in a match should go to it instead of relying on it being shown on TV. That's nonsense.

Again nope not saying that. I've already offered somewhere you could most likely watch it. I also doubted that many of those pub goers would want to watch that particular game over the rugby or EPL on at the same time. And yes if someone is incredibly desperate to watch it they can go to it as an alternative to watching it in a pub (where it will definitely be shown).

Advertisement