Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Also young Niland......

Looks like Campbell has concussion after the blow he took (subbed at half time) unlikely to play semi final. While it's a big blow for Galway its terrible for the young lad if it transpires.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

The first tackle was a shocker, he seemed to lift the shoulder to get him good. If the ref gave the red then , maybe the second wouldn't have happened

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

very impressive performance by that u17 team tonight , real battle some massive hits going in all over the place in the first half , but joe rabbites lad looks fairly impressive , as for young nilland , hes probbably better then his brother at this early stage quirke and sean murphy were excellent at the back too , two really tough lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Head high tackles are endemic in GAA now, especially in hurling where its particularly dangerous. We used to have a code where this kind of thing rarely happened and now its two to three per game. Some day a guy is going to get a hurl to the throat and its going to end badly. There needs to be zero tolerance for any head contact.

Only caught the tail end of the minor game but they looked very good. Some great scores by Niland, particularly his last point. Great for them to prove their worth in a Leinster championship besides being parachuted into the semis. What is the quality like on the munster side with Clare and Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

There's a really good balance to that minor team. At various levels we've all seen examples of average teams being elevated by having one star player who is saddled with carrying the team. Young Niland is clearly a very talented player but he is also being given a very solid platform to showcase his ability.

Warmed my heart to get an email from season ticket letting me know that the Dublin Hurlers and footballers would have a double header in Croke Park. Great to see the GAA looking after the ordinary fans. Outside the box thinking. Hopefully other opportunities might arise to do the same thing for other teams.

Post edited by Happyilylost on

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Yeah it annoyed me too when I heard it yesterday. It's definitely arranged for Dublin more than any other county.

Did the season ticket holders here have any luck since getting actual stand tickets for the Tyrone match?

I was hoping some stand tickets would have been unsold and released by now. Looking at ticket prices for the Antrim hurling match in the same stadium, terrace is 15 and stand 20. Why does the football need to be priced so much higher?

I know it's a different level of competition in a way, but it's only a round robin too. 25 sticks in the craw to stand on the terrace when we're still 6 games from even talking about an All Ireland final.

• Advertisement

Season ticket replied to me to say there are no designated stand tickets and the event is "General Admission". If you're are in early enough/crowd isn't as big as expected you can go into the stand. No one has an actual "stand ticket" just GA.

No difference between season ticket holders and general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

I'm guessing the game isn't on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭testtech05

No unfortunately GAA GO only for anyone who cant attend (myself included)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

GAA GO isn't an option when I've woeful Broadband.

Thanks for that info it's good to know. I would've expected season ticket holders to be looked after a little bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

How early would you want to get there for a seat in the stand, don't fancy paying 25 for the terrace either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

You'd get a seat in the stand if you're in with a half hour to go. If you want a good central one you'd need to be there probably an hour ahead of throw-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

That's the team anyway people Conroy starts, Gleeson between the posts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Fitzgerald and Niall daly big additions…

Big time. A lot on that bench have the potential to make a difference or continue without dropping standards.

At this stage you'd have to think Gleeson was carrying a niggle and that's why Power got his start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Fitzgerald was named on the bench for the Connacht final. Niall Daly replaces Owen Gallagher who seems to have fell out of favour this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I wouldn't necessarily be the biggest fan of PJ as a manager but in fairness to him and management they'd put together a decent bench. Hopefully Culhane gets more time in the remainder of the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Would have preferred Gallagher to Daly, whom I'm not sure about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭testtech05

Is Patrick Kelly carrying an injury or just not making the 26 at the minute? He had some big involvements last year but I suppose that is a good sign for the depth they seem to have found if he's just not getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

Worried that the goalkeeper issue will come back to bite us later in the summer. Haven't seen any hail marys launched in around the square for us to deal with yet but they will come and can our goalkeeper deal with them? Also have they resolved the kick-outs? Can we get away our kick-outs when the big games come? Hope these issues are worked on in the upcoming games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Gallagher has been dropped from the panel. Purely from watching club football I find that bizarre.

I didn't realise lads could be cut from the panel once it's named. Unless a lad was taking the piss or there was a big disciplinary issue.

Can't see us winning an all ireland with Gleeson between the posts. The kickouts are too slow and one dimensional. That's before you get into the high ball issue. It defies logic that we're not seeing the clearly better keeper being given the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Power was jittery enough in the Rossie game and Gleeson has done very little wrong this season to date, the later matches in particular. Will give management a pass in this one.

Big game today and a good stress-test of where we're at. Be interesting to see how our corner-backs do, (I expect them to be absolutely fine), but our no. 6 actually needs to up things a bit and start acting like a firewall a bit more.

• Advertisement

Goalies don't like being swapped in and out. Its the ultimate confidence position. If Gleeson was in goal against Roscommon I'm not sure we'd have won that game or it would at least have been a lot tighter. Powers kickouts gave us the platform that day. Yes he had 2 dodgy ones but Gleeson puts my heart in my mouth with every ball he kicks unless he thumps its 60m. Even then it hangs and is easy pickings for the opposition to swarm. He's been fine as regards shot stopping and has dealt with the odd high ball but kickouts are a goalies currency and he's really poor at them.

Advertisement