Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to Advertising on the site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's not just the size and placement of the ads, it's the spammy, scammy content of them. Seriously, @Boards.ie: Mike, do you genuinely think this is good enough from Snigel? They're making you look like a bunch of half-baked fraudsters. And I don't want to hear about opting in to customisation again. Their product should be fit for purpose and it's clearly, *ridiculously* obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The mobile experience of boards is completely broke at this stage.

It’s extremely frustrating to use and seen as I don’t really use boards on a desktop I think my time remaining here is coming to an end.

Adds that take up more than half the screen and cover the text you are composing! Wtf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Fire whatever clown was in charge of the annoying pop up add taking up half the page that despite hitting the x, either opens the bloody add or only gets rid of half of it. The site is almost unusable now. Keep clicking on bloody adds!!! It's like clicking through never ending spam links on torrent sites back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

That was two days ago. You still haven't done **** about the ads. Site is a disaster. Do you ever think of the users?

My screen is 80% ads and you STILL haven't fixed the issue of ads reducing volume on speakers/headphones while listening to music in the background.

How did you get it so wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭Jeff2

As I'v posted yesterday. This Web browser with no adds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Odhran is a master of his brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Don't worry, this is "boards.ie 1.0" - cannot wait for version 2.0 (or even 1.1 maybe)

If you look at Snigel's case studies of other sites, the full screen ads are there too. It's just what they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The big ads disappeared for me for a few days but now back with revenge taking over nearly half the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The new ads are ridiculous and make the site unusable. The page is 90% ads

if they don’t change , the place is going to be a ghost town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I imagine this must be pretty stressful for the admin, but the lack of updates is very "un-boards" like.

Is there a community manager anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,990 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I mean what use is the ad at the bottom when the formatting is that botched.

How is this still happening??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Absolute joke.

We don't even know what's being advertised on most of the bottom ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

These bloody bottom pop up ads, Jesus Christ lads what the hell are ye thinking??

Are ye actively trying to drive people away and make the site as unusable as possible? Been doing a fantastic job the last couple of years if so!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I just downloaded Brave.

Problem solved.

Now if they could sort out moderation, or else remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭JDxtra

This is a bloody joke now at this stage. They are killing off the remaining traffic.

I am not downloading any other mobile browser to make the site usable. I would not do that for any web site - I'll simply use the site less or not use it at all.

Coming up to my 22 year anniversary of using the site. Will I make it to 23? Looking doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If it wasn't so serious, it would be laughable.

Snigel is like a millstone around Boards's neck at this stage.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭electricus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Currently the only way I can use boards on mobile is connected to my home network where I have pihole set up for ad blocking, or use wire guard to connect to that when out and about. Without those workarounds, not a chance I'll use the site.

I remember the days of boards leaning into their community and being very open with updates. What's going on now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭cletus

I suppose to add to the general consensus here, I have been a member of boards since 2004. I have never left negative feedback before. I had no complaints when 'new' boards.ie was launched.

However, the new advertising system whereby I can choose to have half my screen covered with an ad, or ⅓ of my screen covered with an ad, is fast becoming unworkable.

Far from creating new revenue streams for the site, this new system may be the reason I stop using it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭John arse

YEAH,they should be making plans for snigel!🥴

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Since yesterday these half phone screen ads, that cause the screen to jump, as you type are unbelievably annoying. I'm constantly closing them to quarter phone screen.

The site is going to lose a lot of posters. Last week it was the constant intrusion of a Ukrainian Unicef ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

I imagine they're scrambling to fix this but aren't having much luck with contacting anyone with decision making power in this Snigel crowd.

What a horrible place to be.

They need to do something quickly though, because traffic will drop below critical levels within days if this continues.

I've downloaded an adblocker suggested here and it's all fine for me now but that's a temporary fix as I'm sure there'll be unintended side effects of that which will make me later stop using it. Also I'm worried about device/banking security whilst using it.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I'm finding when I'm scrolling down a page the add pops up again and I end up in their site.

Totally headwrecking.

The site is rapidly becoming unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

What addblocker you using.

Ive being using Adblock Plus on IOS - not working anymore. Dont want to move my whole phone defaults over to brave if can help it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭CH3OH

It seems silly.. but it is nearly easier to use the desktop site on mobile. At least the ads are not as over powering

• Advertisement

• This one, really works well, just touch the circle to turn it on or off.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement