Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

But not when answering a poll. Like I know there is a limit but i do not know what it is.

I was talking about the poll. Just think it's a silly poll was all.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

In Ennis, apparently Clare Co.Co. turned doown the offer of the old boarding school at St. Flannan's College as a place for refugees. For some reason it was "unsuitable". I wonder if the people who make the decisions have the bar set too high;a dry bed, cooking facilities and showers should be more than adequate for anyone fleeing bombs and persecution. It would accommodate in the region of 200people, within a 1l2 mile of the centre of town. Accommodation in homes over 6 miles from Ennis was turned down too as it was deemed to be too far away.

One of the protestor objections is that the septic system needs repair. I saw some fine tractors on TV...perhaps they;s oblige with a hose to de-sludge the tanks? That would solve one of their objections.

• Advertisement

People shouldn't be given accomodation etc. if Irish people are voluntarily moving to those people's countries to live.

I'm a bit annoyed about how impossible it feels for me to move back to Ireland at the moment with a non-EU partner and a housing crisis while people from countries that are doing fine are being given housing. Without my mother having her own place, there would be nowhere for me to stay in Ireland and get life going again. Could I stay in these centres?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I just read that article.

Completely and utterly bonkers. There are no words to describe how absolutely divorced from reality that plan is.

It’s beyond depressing to see what this crisis, completely of the Government’s own creation, is doing to political discourse and social cohesion in this country. The rancour it’s creating simply defies belief.

• And equally people could say "why can this person return to Ireland and get a house while I've been working here all along and can't get a place?"

Stupid argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There has been plenty of scope and examples in the early days of this crisis where people on this thread piled on and ganged up on people who expressed genuine concerns and just wanted limits, and a civil discussion….so the tone I believe was set by the ‘let everyone and anyone in no limits’ side….. im all for civilised and fair debate but when one side or certain individuals of that side of the debate, set a particular tone in their engagement, from the get go….they have zero recourse or credibility when they cry foul of others for what they’ve been more than adept at themselves….

one poster refers to a good point, page 1, a genuine concern, well articulated that however was in conflict with another posters opinion who then claimed their concerns articulated was “absurd nonsense”…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Oh My G, that is so sad for these people. Imagine working your whole life to earn a pension so you can relax in your later years and have a peaceful life in your community. Then 300 strangers are air dropped next door in a flash.

I couldn't imagine if that was my Granny or elderly aunts, I know they would be petrified if that happened on their doorstep.

What an utter disgusting thing to do to an older age community. Shame shame shame on this government.

How many IP applicants are there!? This is happening too much.

Also, I keep wondering where are those thugs who were fighting and brawling in those centres and out in the streets??

This government certainly don't have the gumption to deport them asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Yeah, I'm not voting for any party that blindly accepts 45k per year.

Complete lack of planning, that's our social housing in a year and more gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I asked why a person fleeing sexual preference persecution wouldn’t flee to London.

You answered that London wouldn’t be friendly to that person.

I showed you that it was very friendly to that person.

Now you say you didn’t mean that,you meant something else…

Arent you just making up things as you’re going along?

How is the UK asylum seeking process any different from ours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It would be fine if it was for people fleeing bombs and persecution but they are not.

They are asylum tourists milking the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Can I ask what's happening in other countries when this starts happening.

Is there resistant to a load of single men of unknown origin just being plonked into a place. I seen a makeshift place in France on the news yesterday used by refugees being ripped down. Is this a common occurrence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The case being supported by links not only from Gript that most asylum seekers are economic migrants . You obviously have not grasped that . But feel free to support your claim with no links or proof that most asylum seekers are genuine .

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

When the law is an ass, it gets disrespected. There is clearly an issue with the 'legal responsibilities'. We now have a situation where anyone who turns up and claims asylum etc has a legal right to be housed and supported etc

Meanwhile we've many thousands of Irish citizens obliged to live at home with parents as they can't afford to rent or purchase a place to be housed. What about their rights - do they not matter? It's that or emigrate, either illegally like the people coming here or with appropriate visas.

This is entirely dysfunctional, the first duty of any state is to look after the basic interests of it's own citizens first.

Combining these issues together is creating a lot of resentment and racism. And anger towards the government lecturing the public from their own positions of comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

You cannot quote any article that is unreliable !!

I could fill the 3 houses in Magowna 5 times over with deserving Irish people.

People stuck in broken relationships, couples with young kids living in a granny flat beside their parents, people in abusive relationships.

But this government are giving the houses to lads looking for a paid holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

There aren't too many women and children coming, and not too many from those destinations either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

MM was pathetic on the late late last night.

Trying again to say it’s a tiny group of the far right who are objecting and most people support this nonsense.

Totally ignoring all the polls.

Then pulls the whole the Irish should know better than anyone about immigration guilt trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So 300 people parachuted to live into an industrial building, in what were a warehouse and offices in The Airways Industrial estate ?

That’s nuts… 24 hours a day, that estate has 40ft trucks, rigids, vans, trailers all around coming and going. To and from Dublin Airport, Dublin Port and retail and warehouse locations nationwide….You couldn’t pick a worse location…. I wonder is it a government ploy to extract sympathy for them….. ‘stick them in ancient warehouses in a dodgy ancient industrial park’…I think so ! Damp, dangerous and bereft of amenities…. No public cafes or shops exist there….nearest place would be Sportslink which as a facility is members only but I think the cafe bar is open to the public… they’ll hate it, the nearest bus stop is about a 12-15 minute leisurely walk from that building….

There are zero public shops in that estate, zero amenities for young people or old…so ? My concern as a truck driver or equipment operator might be kids messing and exploring sites, playing games around the roads etc…..

Why am I not surprised.

Almost everybody I talk to lately is of the same view, let them find their own accomodation.

I've no doubt the lightweight lapdog Tubridy just gave him a free platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Can't see it myself. EXTREMELY low bar. Would never ever be convicted in court for incitement on that. The hint hint nudge nudge in your post is ridiculous too.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yep. Even here people who support immigration and asylum are saying they would vote yes in it. Defo meaningless.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Think at this stage being a politician is an excuse of a job. All about career progression.

Exactly, that is what I meant. Probably wasn't explaining well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

Any particular reason why these people are not arrested and before the courts? Or is it just a 'sensitive' issue?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-41142250.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Ill probably go independent or not vote.

To be honest I find very little differences between any of the main parties anyway. None of them represent me, and I have held my nose for two elections now

Advertisement