Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

Unlucky in a way to get a red card as the back was falling but should have got 2 red cards last week. Clare player very lucky not to get a red card as I could see no mitigation

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

This ref is absolutely shafting us. Ed Lauhoff holds his ground, Clare back runs into him and its a free to Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

No problem with red cards for shoulders that connect with the head but not if McDermott is going to be the only one being sent off.

Just wait and see someone getting flattened in the senior games this weekend and watch what colour the card will be.

It’s the inconsistency that grates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

We're after handing them at least 5 points with bad hand or stick passes

16 men v 14 here but still a great effort from our lads. Clare are no better than us but the extra man is killing us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Free count must be massively in favour of Clare at this stage

How many cards is this donkey going to give

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Exactly. For me it should be 14 v 14 and as you say implement in Senior etc. The challenges would soon decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Going on this Galway should win the AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Well especially when they had some top class professional candidates who they didn't even call back for a second interview. It's beggars belief that someone getting highly paid by a professional sports team wasn't worth a second interview. They were from a different sport but for that roll you have to be able to organise you don't have to be a hurler or former hurler.

I think the CB went into the sham of a process with it's selected people in place as usual and just went through the charade of advertising the roll and interviews. Nothing against either Michael hopefully it works out but you would have to think one full time person solely responsible who has all the info and say, would be a better call than splitting the roll. How many times does two managers work out well in sport or business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Hard luck to the minors you'd have to say given the showing the would have had a right chance if McDermott stayed on the field (a yellow for me given the way everything else is currently reffed). Even if they got to the final however it was likely going to be a tough day against that superb Galway team but it would have been nice to try have another cut off them. Unfortunately the first touch of too many of the minor and U20 team is far too loose when the pressure comes on. A few decent prospects but they need lots of work to stand a chance of making it at senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Did no one notice who the linesman was. The great Jesse Owens we were well in with a shout before that incident didn’t see it on tv yet it seems to me the ref was responding to prompts all day. The county board never even questioned the refs decision to send off Seán Bergin against Laois,so this isn’t what you get.A few people mention about fouls the last day so there going to ref on previous history then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Mikey Butler is having a great match

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

A comfortable win in the end without playing particularly well. Damned if you do play well in these games, damned if you don't, in terms of how the public view it. We got the win which is what we needed.

I hope Richie Reids injury is not serious. He also got MOTM on GAAGO. And well done to TJ on being the all time top scorer in Championship (Horgan will probably surpass him again tomorrow)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

Another day when there was a lot of murmurings in the crowd in Nowlan Park. An extremely nervous performance with a lot of mistakes. I thought the backs did okay considering the quality of balls going into the Dublin forwards. Blanchfield and Mikey Butler were best, I think Blanchfield could have a go at scoring more. Dissapointing not to create any goal chances. Age seems to have caught up with TJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I'm prepared to give it a chance, hoping it goes well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Definitely a sloppy performance but a win is a win. Kk and galway can probably time their run and its a month time before they have to be peaking.

Everyone would of took a leinster final appearance with a game to play. Dublin played some good hurling it was the end product that let them down. Our ball into attack isn't great and is something that will have to be improved on. Butler,blachfield and Richie were good Donnelly was a good link man and Tom phelan tried hard.

Hopefully Richies injury isn't serious. Mullen didn't seem right after the early injury. A free match against Wexford fighting for their lives will be a great opportunity to mix the team up. Delaney,drennan,Kenny,Shane walsh etc should all be playing in this hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

It's sad in a way but yes tj looks finished at this level and certainly as a starter.

On the minor comment ... I believe the co board felt that there was some fights worth fighting and that to that particular (terrible) red card was not high on their agenda...

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

As was pointed out earlier today was a no win situation in a way. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't but there was more than a bit lacking in todays performance. Yes a 6 point win and progression to the leinster final was the aim but it was a poor match. Lyng, if he was having any thoughts of winning a leinster final and all ireland semi final will know a lot of work is needed to get more from his team. We were quite shocking at times with our deliveries. 80% of our long deliveries were lost. Why we keep doing it I don't know. Unless we have TJ or Wally isolated we don't seem to win enough hight balls. We don't drag the opposition full back line out enough but we're in a leinster final without setting the world on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hogans heroes

Another leinster final and a chance to go straight to all ireland semi again. Yes we need to improve but I certainly think we have the players. Like to see clifford, dunne , drenann, rchie , wally , etc v wexford and see who purs their hand up.TJ been written off here a bit to early IMO and mullen will surely improve.word for paddy deegan who done well for me and interesting to see where on the pitch he ends up v galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I'm happy enough with the performance against Dublin all things considered. It's obvious that Lyng is trying to get the team playing a smarter brand of hurling - that takes time and we're playing catch-up after neglecting to adopt it sooner. We may not get it perfected in one season but we have to stick with it and to also apply it to the lower grades, such as minor, under 20 etc. if we are to be successful across the board. Hopefully Michael Fennelly will help in this regard with the squads. This would ensure that we're working at it in both directions and get pay back sooner.

I hope this incident in the minor game is highlighted tonight on the Sunday game KK are the only players getting sent off are the rest of the teams not doing it anyway the player dipped to draw the free surely this is as bad as diving.just after seen a Clare man doing it to a Cork man again no sanction all they say on the minor game sending off is technically it was a red, technically my bollox that’s what they said about Richie Hogan’s sending off. A bit of common sense is all is required. Both matches were ruined as a result with only one outcome. James Owens involved in both. It’s just not good enough anymore. People wiser than me decided on this u17 age group and then they allow this to happen to a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

So the permutations are that if Clare win and Tipp win, Limerick are out? Now I know its sacrilegious for a kilkenny person to shout for Tipp, but in this instance I will make an exception

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

As a kilkenny man living and working in tipp I've never been as torn coming up to a match

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

No it was Cork & Tipp winning knocks out LImerick.

Now that Clare have won, Winner of Cork v Limerick next week are through with Clare & Tipp (I'm assuming Tipp will beat Waterford next week)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ttowncat

Kilkenny could play the extended panel next week as now the result is irrelevant. If antrim beat westmeath (which i think is likely), Wexford will need to win it to avoid bottom place and relegation.

Kilkenny could make leinster a lot easier next year if they make sure to beat wexford!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Barrett at it again today. Diving in with the head. Should have been a free in for charging

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

Tipp don’t have to beat Waterford if either Limerick or Cork win

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I agree but did you miss the same thing in the 1st half when Limerick did the same. Bonnar maher was on the receiving end and got a bloody nose along with a farcical free out for Limerick.

• Advertisement

I counted about forty red cards today based on The Kilkenny minor sending off yesterday.

Advertisement