Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I hope for the sake of the beef and tillage industry you are wrong. But I have a sick feeling you may be somewhat right but I would be somewhat hopeful beef will average better than €4/kg. Governments are not gonna fight for fair prices as they are not going to be the ones who implement policy's to make farmers cut there herds. Let the trade go wallop and it will do it itself is what they are hoping will happen. It's going on currently with the dairy sector. I hope I am wrong. All this land been bought at big prices will get lads stung big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭kk.man

I have being thinking the same and agree with both of you. The big payments are now gone so there is no cushion. The big corporates still want cheap food but the farmer cant sustain it. Are we looking at farmer protests across Europe? something will have to give.

With regard to 5 euro plus beef prices....i made more money off beef when it was 4 euro. Thing is when the product falls the inputs are slower to come down an example would be plastic this year has not fallen much.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

We're probably at the most dangerous point of this cycle now. Everyone did well on the way up when cattle were wintered on pre-war silage and the output prices were rising fast. Now its the opposite, and the real stickler is that input prices are slower to come down in this country than most other beef producing nations. The bales I made yesterday are costing me about €38 each. Thats about the same as last year. Things are coming down very slowly and those bales are to feed cattle that will be dependent on the beef price in a years time. Hard to justify buying yearlings at €2.70+/KG when the wintering costs will be so high and beef price looks like it will fall back to the 'norm'. Things might settle down after that again but this is a dangerous 12 months in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Base prices were generally in the 3.50-4.00 range over the 10 years previous to the war. The new norm might be 50c up to 4.00-4.50. Grain was expensive around 2012 so beef went high here in 2013 but quickly returned to the norm. Just keep your costs low so you don't lose your shirt if base price hits €4 again, there will be good years too. This is all just guessing on my part but that's what the beef game is I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

That’s why I asked as it’s so hard to predict with beef! The only way is a cheap simple system I think myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

What about beef supplies. that’ll surely affect prices too. If there good demand from uk, Europe and China it should help stabilise prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

Talking down the trade is making it easier for factories to drop the price whether warranted or not.

For what it’s worth, I think it will stay north of €5 and even push on a bit at certain times over the next 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

What hasn’t been factored in to this discussion is the scarcity of labour across the economy. There is plenty of work out there .

Nobody is going to farm animals and then give them to a factory or a feedlot and make no profit when a solid wage is available for agreed hours. Keep a minimum of animals to draw the BISS CRISS and ECO and tell the factories to go Foxtrot Oscar .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Thats what a lot of suckler and drystock farmers are doing and will do. But The factory will have ample supply of beef to kill from the dairy herd who are booming currently, so total head kill will not reduce till the milkmen do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Most Dairy cross cattle would be at least 100 kilos lighter than sucklers They are not the problem

True. But there is still enough of them out there to keep the kill near 30,000, which seems to be the spot for factory price changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭hopeso

But the dairy men aren't finishing them..... If the beef farmer does decide to cut numbers, it's going to affect the factory and the lads trying to sell these calves....

Feedlots will buy up the dairy bred calves at source and rear them to beef. Larry and Co will diverse to keep there order book full at any cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Will they f@@k

Slava Ukrainii

It's a case if how long a piece of string is. I am a pessimistic Optimist, that means I plan for the worst but expect things to be a bit better than that.

World beef prices are generally strong , you can see them here.

you just filter the country and go down to the bottom of the page to see it. Remember all prices are excluding vat so you multiple on 5.25%, to compare Irish prices.

Generally Brazil is at 3.9/kg exc vat, US 4.9 exc vat. You can ad 20 and 25c/ kg to them to get the Irish equivalent.

Interestingly the two big EU countries that were traditionally bottom of the pile, The Netherlands is 60c/ kg ahead of us for young bulls( comparing to our R3 steer price) and Poland is ahead as well. Irish processors are working at a serious margin at present IMO.

Long term I think it may be hard to sustain above 5/ kg. But countries like Australia and the US are going on and out if drought every 3-5 years. It takes them 1-2 years to recover from a drought. Brazil will probably have to stop destroying rain forrest to create new pasture.

I would not be making stupid decisions on it but beef will probably vary from 4.5-5.5 base, however in the short term grain flooding out of Ukraine/ Russia may effect it for 1-2 years when the war ends. However again this is now morea risk for milk than beef.

@j1989 Feedlots have no interest in raising calves. They would incur the full cost of bringing the animals to finish. It would also have nitrates implications for them. They need cheaply produced stores to make a profit. It not something that is compatible with feedlot production.

If you look it generally feedlots are reducing the length of time they try to have cattle. They want a more forward store every year. Many now only buy QA stores as they want the option of slaughter after the minimum number of days they have to keep to get QA and other bonuses

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I thought most feedlots are linked with factories and so QA doesn’t make a huge difference coz they’ve their own price anyway?

Re cutting back numbers: did ye not read the IFJ this week??? You’re supposed to keep spreading more of that fertiliser to get more silage in the yard to feed more cattle over winter. More more more!!!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭amacca

Ah....the Irish (everyone except the majority of farmers) Farmers Pravda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭hopeso

Yes, they are generally linked to the factory, but the markets the factory supply want QA beef, so it amounts to the same thing really. They need QA beef.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭kk.man

Their customers in the most require qa. The option is there for the supermarket to trace the animal based on the herd number.

I can see why factories might prefer QA beef since it gives them a nice story to tell to their customers.

But if QA really mattered, they’d pay a real premium for it and they’d refuse to take non-QA cattle rather than just using it as an excuse to pay the farmer less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Love the conspiracy theories. Maybe they don’t want fodder crisis 2024 and all that comes with it. The best growth of year is gone. If theirs bad first crops. Need to fire out manure to get the feed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I don't think it's conspiracy theories. Fair enough on winter fodder, that's understandable. But a couple of weeks ago reps from the fertiliser industry had articles out about the importance of spreading it, a few days after their profits were announced. And then this week the CSO show that sales plummetted in the last 6 months. Then lo and behold, the IFJ (and I'm sure other outlets) are back out telling ya to spread it quick. Not so much conspiracy theories, but vested interests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I was talking to one of the bigger factory agents who is brutal negative 99.9% of the time I talk to him but he said this stunt of pulling prices isn't going to work because the cattle aren't there and the price should go up over the next while. Literally God was a boy the last time he talked up the trade.

Factories require QA beef for supermarkets and restaurants. They cannot pass non QA beef off as QA. They have allowed feedlots to reduce the final farm age to either 30 or 50 days it may even be lower. But the 80 days on QA farms is a QA condition that they cannot get around

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

If the cattle are not there then there is no point increasing prices at this stage with the grass cattle on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

There's no grass cattle to come down here for a good while, done f all of a thrive so far this year on grass.

• Advertisement

I’d suggest QA is not as black n’white as the discussion here suggests. Neither do I think there’s whole scale corruption selling non-QA as QA. It’s probably more like “grass fed” where there’s certain tolerances involved

Advertisement