Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Leo Varadkar have any empathy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

definitely a misanthrope, imo, is Leo

he couldn't care less, which is no harm i suppose; but the bigger issue here is his choice of words, and how any of his crew thought the language used in that post of his was acceptable is a mystery to me

strange behaviour (in these times) to use "Slow Learner/s" in any kind of comparison one would have thought... 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Leo Varadkar. Woke as fúck and as selfish as they come. Says alot considering I am talking about a Politician.

He scraped by the last GE and still had the brass neck to negotiate his way into the top job, but only after a cool down period with Micky M.

I've never voted SF. I used to vote FG.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

A long time ago I thought Leo was a breath of fresh air, but I’ve grown up and learned what an utterly self-serving individual he is. He couldn’t care less about those in society compromised by any form of disability, and any #wokeness he practices is merely to further his own cause. He couldn’t care less about anyone else. I have no time whatsoever for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Embarrassing thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

He has a point.

Sinn Fein are reliant on the ignorance of their voters.

A quick anecdote.

I was talking politics with a former co-worker who proudly proclaimed himself an SF voter. I, in my naivety, asked why. His reply: "they'll get the foreigners out of Ireland".

I had not the heart to tell him.

There's your Sinn Fein vote.

Post edited by DeadHand on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

What I don't get is that he knew it might cause offence and went ahead and said it. If something can have double meaning, you don't say it. He has no cop on and I will be so glad when he is gone from politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Sounds to me just a paraphrase/repeat of famous Seamus Mallow quote that GFA was "Sunningdale for slow learners".

I've never heard that 'slow learners' was considered a slur until now.

Usually what happens in political correctness is that some "controversial" term becomes un-accepted and replaced with a neutral term. Over time the new neutral term becomes seen as an unacceptable slur as well and then a newer new term is adopted. This process repeats itself continually.

This is my first time defending LV on boards

I have never heard the Seamus Mallon quote but I do know that it can be seen as a slur. If there is any chance it can be seen as a slur etc don't say it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Based on the stuff SF have said this year alone, I myself would describe them as Venezuelan style hyper-populist bullshit. Do I also lack empathy or is it the slow learners thing that have people upset with him today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Is slow learner a term that been outlawed these days?

It is best that the OP never attends a J B Keane play and hears about the handicaps and cripples

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

I thought the video of him kissing that young man which the media decided en masse not to make any comment on last year, might be the end of him but apparently everyone has to have a private life, so he got another free pass. Would he have if he was heterosexual? I really don't think so.

I'm not FG, but what do FG voters think of him? Do you want him to lead your party in the next election? No, I think if he has any empathy, it is very little, and it ends at his door.

Post edited by Guildenstern on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Id agree that Varadkar is the very worst kind of politician and about as connected to the people as Charles is in the uk but sf is a organized crime gang pretending to be a political party

we can do with out more of either in this country but i have very little faith that one of both will get flushed like the turds they are anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Varadkar is a pure politician. Self serving, teflon, cynical, as corrupt as you'll legally get away with and all the other lovely traits. Like the rest of them really. But trying to hang him over 'slow learner' is a bit ridiculous IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

FG lot are like the tories, power at all costs.

the fact that these very public comments came from a man with well over a decade as a qualified medical practitioner shows a real true barometer of the man’s disgusting ignorance and arrogance ….

he’d have no issue next week strolling around a primary care centre talking to psychologists, patients, families and so on. His ‘concerned’ schtick to the fore, it’s nothing more…He just doesn’t give a shît and he seems in recent times less the PR Leo and more the Leo most savvy people could always see through.. When he’s under pressure and feeling it, the mask slips, a lot more regularly now 😏

he’s been found out… yet again….people of Dublin West need to sort themselves out and ninja Leo to the kerb… ridiculous having an individual of such grim standards and personal and professional weaknesses supposedly working ‘for’ the country and its citizens. Ridiculous gaffe after gaffe now..

here is Leo visiting Headway, a service for people with acquired brain injuries, the usual fake smile and empty platitudes no doubt… it’s about a 90 second walk from the gates of Leinster House……

”like politics for slow learners”.

just not good enough…. Dublin west, sort yourselves out and get rid….

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Leo is plain rice, the fervour people on opposite ends of the political spectrum work themselves into about him is a bit crazy. There are many reasons to attack FG for various things but this is quite the manufactured outrage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

First thing I thought of was the Mallon quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't like Varadker but why the **** am I supposed to care about the phrase "slow learners"?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

Even in the world of politics, he comes across as exceptionally insincere compared to others. I get no sense of warmth from him at all. I’m sure he has other attributes as he has done well career-wise tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,252 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Leo loves to blame and talk about SF, well his wording here backfired, now time for sleepy Eamon to lead the country

I always got the impression that Leo thinks he is better and above everyone

Coveney should have been given FG leadership

Post edited by JP Liz V1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Varadkars point obviously struck home.

The OP failing to see the irony in their own post.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Because the only thing that some people love more than complaining about the over-sensitive, is being overly-sensitive to perceived attacks on their favoured position. That's about the whole of it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just leaving this here...

Ms McDonald said she had asked Mr Stanley to take a week’s break because she “was concerned for his welfare and wanted him to have some breathing space”.

She said there was no equivalence between Mr Stanley’s first tweet and the controversy where Leo Varadkar leaked a document to a friend.

In the first online message that caused controversy, the Laois-Offaly TD tweeted in reference to the Kilmichael Ambush in 1920 and the Narrow Water Massacre in Warrenpoint, Co Down in 1979, claiming they were “the 2 IRA operations that taught the elite of d British army and the establishment the cost of occupying Ireland. Pity for everyone they were such slow learners”.

Ms McDonald said Mr Stanley had apologised for this but she said the actual problem was the “tone”.

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭NiceFella

So you met one chap that was a fool and Varadkar is vindicated as saying the whole of SF vote are dumb. My god.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭NiceFella

I've seen leo out and about lots of times over the years. He takes a lot of abuse from people unfairly most if the time. I think, because of this he has very little regard for ordinary people which is not a good for the great many of us. So it's hard to know what drives him. He definitely loves attention that's for sure, and is intelligent. But it's the wrong reasons and I think leo is probably in the wrong career for himself and for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well FG attacks on SF are background noise at this stage so he's trying to make a splash, get this one noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Dreadful Taoiseach, even worse person, most awful leader the country has ever had ( Martin was the second worst)

As bad as FG and Leo Varadkar may be, Sinn Fein would be a whole lot worse for this country.

That said, Varadkar is the Irish equivalent of Trudeau. Both love the limelight, the constant attention, and have egos larger than the Milky Way.

Once that level of narcissism sets in, there's no way back.

Varadkar is now your standard plastic politician who will float from day to day, achieving very little if anything at all - meanwhile he acts as a General Manager of the country whilst the EU controls the country's overall direction - and when he retires, the media will from time to time, fawn over him as a somehow leading light in how the country developed. A deluded perspective perhaps, but they'll do it. There's something of an aura around a "former prime minister / Taoiseach" that the media obsess about; turning them into something that approximates an untouchable god.

The rest of us will forget him, though. Why? Because he's forgettable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

I personally think he’s a self entitled twat.

Post edited by Archduke Franz Ferdinand on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement