Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster V Stade Rochelais. Champions Cup Final. Sat May 20, 16:45. Aviva Stadium, Dublin.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Go on then... List them... And then list the ones that went LARs way...

I think a few phases before that he seems to release the ball in a panic. Certainly seemed like his head wasn't confident or he was waiting for the 'perfect' position or something....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Better side won. Leinster were awful. Lowe should have stayed with the baby! He was brutal. JGP, awful just so poor. Jenkins was a spectator, a cheerleader. The backs were poor. Furlong was poor. He's been poor for a while. Is he in his twilight?

Congratulations to R.O.G and LaR. Best team and the best head coach. They absolutely battered the shyte out of the Ireland pack. They made it look easy.

That beating gmhurts worse than last seasons. LaR should have won by 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Shocking for a 10 at that stage of the game. It doesn't bode well for Ireland in WC, I can't see Sexton lasting the tournament at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Ngatai carry that brought him to the line was excellent, but I feel like he could have and should have drawn and released rather than kept going. There was a try opportunity there.

But even after that there were still opportunities to score a drop goal. From having the ball on the line Leinster trucked up a few more rucks to a more central position and the kick was on. But they didn't take it. The Alaalatoa red card was caused because they went for further ruck set ups rather than dropping deep and making the kick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭ironingbored

There were several penalty infringements in that last passage of play (not rolling away, Skelton from the side, replacement hooked hands on the ground) but Leinster have only themselves to blame. Had Peyper reffed the breakdown properly at the end no red card and RB needs to give he option of the drop goal. Learned nothing from last year. Last penalty go to the corner FFS.

Laughable Munster fans sh1t stirring. Munster will never, ever contest a HC final again, Wind yer necks in.

Just like Saracens and Toulon before them, La Rochelle will have their mini dominance but once they lose a few players they'll be fighting for the Challenge Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭ironingbored

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Honestly, the ref was a non factor today.

Leinster were just absolutely blown away in the second half. La Rochelle have forwards who weigh as much as a Dublin Bus and they decided to make use of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭overshoot

Think Ryan was a huge loss to Leinster today, the forward battle may have already been swinging but it was very much La Rochelle after that. Slightly surprised Furlong went after just 5 minutes second half too or had I missed an injury?

Leinster certainly got into the right area of the pitch for the drop goal but they never looked to manufacture it. In fairness they did get a run at the French line so might have seemed the right thing to do, but in a one point final, last minutes, cant help think Sexton would have gone for the kick.

Epic game though, proper edge of seat at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭uptherebels

and?

you not being able to count is your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

ROG plays media interviews so well, he gives enough to get everyone on board. It's fascinating to watch, and as much as he drives me nuts he's really engaging, and genuine. Fair dues to him, he's done incredibly well, and from a leadership point of view i can see how he builds a really bought in team culture, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Ryan's injury is a real worry cos it didn't like a big knock. He's had some amount of them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There plenty of time for analysis. Congratulations to ROG and LaR. They started the game so poorly, tactically played directly into Leinsters hands, but adjusted and from 20 mins on, LaR were the superior team

Not a non-factor, the knock on that wasn't, not looking at one of the LaR players who injured Ryan (can't recall who it was), the Doris penalisation were some key decisions.

Would LAR still have won... Maybe... But he was definitely a factor.

Many things can be true at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

La Rochelle looked more dangerous with ball for nearly all that game, Leinster weren't dominating even when it was 17-0. Went deep into the play book early, first try trick play off a lineout, 50:22 play lead to the 2nd. Even with LaR's first meaningful attack Leinster were into heroic or do or die rush up defending rather than dealing with it in a structured way.

Its really bothersome watching the bulk of the Ireland team made look like boys in that 2nd half..2 years in a row now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

"Small margins" "They were unlucky" blah blah blah. How many years now have Leinster fallen to pieces when it mattered? They got bullied off the park yet again. La Rochelle are the best team in Europe by a considerable margin.

Ross Byrne's game management was utterly appalling. Kicked away every possession Leinster got in the 2nd half, and didn't have the balls to step up and take the drop goal at the end. Then he got another chance when LAR didn't find touch and he shirked the responsibility yet again. Been saying it for years, he's not up to this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Rely on Leinster players. One born in Munster on Ireland.

if he had reffed the breakdown properly, LaR would have had another try or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

When Ryan went off, any hope of competing at the lineout went with him. We didn't put any pressure on them at all, even though they basically threw to Skelton seemingly everytime. The worst part of losing again, is that's two years in a row we didn't play our game at all. Would not be shocked at all if Toulouse go and beat the brake off of La Rochelle, playing the sort of high tempo game we beat them with.

• Advertisement

The Ryan thing was a complete nothing burger. A rugby incident.

Ryan fell into someones knee, nothing more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

TRC will you ever for once in your life give it a rest?

We all know you're delighted to say I told you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Wexford Tyro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

God but I don't envy Ala'alatoa right now. One of the most ridiculous penalties I've seen. Saying that, given the leniency with which the breakdown was reffed all game, it's no surprise that someone ended up getting smashed. Peyper was far too willing throughout the match to turn a blind eye and it definitely emboldened players.

good of you to make a claim, shown its wrong then pivot to another claim to try and save face.

but hey cry a little harder.

@FrankFurillo @Ragwort and Stones

both threadbanned. Do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Yeah and even with the penalty they had before hand, you could see him testing the wind a lot of times and you could tell he wasn't confident

Now that was a tough penalty to take off the tee anyways if he did choose it (I'd say even Sexton would've gone for the corner in that scenario) but you could see thoughts of doubt creeping in at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

As a Munster man I was ambivalent about this. As Leinster have nearly the entire Ireland team, I wanted them to do well but I also wanted to see Rog do well. I am more worried now about the WC. In particular, I think Furlong is over the hill and Byrne is not good enough. Also Ryan has had an awful lot of head injuries. I just hope he comes through ok. My other takeaway is that, While Rog is behind Sexton as Ireland's greatest OH, he is clearly the best coach Ireland has ever produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I think caught it on a hip, unfortunate head placement on his part.

• Advertisement

Live, it looked like it was but I'll look again. No complaints on the other two though? But Peyper was atrocious. Wasn't the sole reason we lost mind...

Advertisement