Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The URC elimination has been massively compounded by today's result.

As I said last week, what could have been an irritation (had we won) is now a disaster.

Two trophyless years for the on-paper favourites (and I realise that doesn't guarantee anything) is really concerning. Three losses all year and two of those were critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Neither Leo nor Lancaster strike me as particularly inspirational leaders. Like imagine what ROG was like in that dressing room at half time, and now imagine what the Leinster dressing room was like with Leo and Lancaster. I'd wager you imagine two very different pictures, because I certainly do. The Leinster coaches are no doubt very good training field coaches, very calm, great organisers, but are they the sort of leaders who you'd run through a brick wall for in a cup final? They certainly don't seem that way to me. Whereas guys like Rog, Rassie and Farrell, even Rowntree would be. You just can't finesse your way through European Cup finals the same way you can for 90% of the season. And Leinster still don't seem to have realised that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Interesting that you say that and I agree, the TV went at ht went to dressing room, leinster players on own no coaches seen , total opposite for LAR found it very odd. It was like Leo said to players sort it out yourselves

To be fair, it was the last 30 seconds before they came back to the pitch. Likely they left to go back to their coaching box.

No way the coaching team weren't in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That was a high class test level game between the two best sides in Europe my a mile. Despite what some might say there really isn't much between the two sides. La Rochelle have beaten Leinster twice by taking the lead deep in the final ten minutes if the game.

The issue is really how Leinster deals with a power game and when the opposition keeps possession. They weren't able to figure it out against La Rochelle last year, against Munster last week and again today.

It's not the end of the world like the gloaters above say. It's a challenge to overcome and I hope we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

Totally agree about Leo's interview. Here we are again in the very same place year on year and he sounds like someone posting on boards. Bounce of a ball, small margins, today it didn't go our way, the lads are disappointed. Passive voice bs. As a supposed straight talker you'd expect to hear something about what we got wrong, and how we were tactically out maneuvered even with a great deal going our way early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

There's no doubt Leinster got their 2nd half tactics wrong. La Rochelle at one point in the second half had only made 39 tackles. Leinster made it easy for them by kicking (often very poorly) back to them.

Asking questions about the coaches and the team is not gloating. Not doing so is denial. This is the pick of Ireland's rugby players giving up an unassailable lead to get beaten in the same way by the same team again at home in a final.

Who said anything about not questioning the coaches? They deserve criticism and I referred to it in my post. I wasn't taking about you. TRC's victory lap is what I'm referring to. He only shows up when Leinster loses

Leinsters kicking game in the second half is something you something you'd not see in an under-12s game. It was hopeless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ridiculous take. Nobody was beating LaR. Best team in the tournament each of the last 3 seasons. Leinster weren't good enough. Lancaster can only do so much! Abject failure today. Criminal performances from JGP, Lowe and Jenkins. Not even going to mention Furlong who had no impact really. Awful team performance with no leadership and balls. You can't coach balls! Either they have them or don't.

Someone was asking how many La Rochelle players would get into the Leinster squad? The question should be would many Leinster lads get into their squad. For the 3rd year in a row.... not many.

Danty plated very well. His physical attributes are better than anyone we have on the island.

I wouldn't mind if Jenkins was leaving now. He's clearly nowhere good enough for this kind of match. Fcuk it, give Joe McCarthy and Deeny all the minutes we can. I can't see how they could be any worse than Jenkins.

Luke should have been brought on early. It was apparent that JGP was soiling himself as the match progressed.

Losing JR really fcuked us. Molony is a good player but he's not very capable against the big boys. Jenkins......

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Don’t have the answer, it fooking hurt yet again. I don’t know, never left the Aviva as quick. Absolutely sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

had 2 yrs to over come it , its a massive problem , same as when sarries came

My player ratings

Porter 7 decent game

Sheehan 9 amazing

Furlong 5 ( shadow of player he was ,hopefully a blip in form)

Molony 5 battled well but just an ok player being honest.

Ryan 8 until he went off was dominating.

Doris 6 quiet overall

VDF 9 really feel sorry for him , was immense.

Conan 8 shouldn't of been subbed.

JPG 7 was fine bad clearance when ref clearly said taken back in

Ross 4 ( no matter how much media try and build him up as the answer to the Sexton question, he just isnt)

Henshaw 6 great in defence

Ringrose 6 as above

JOB 6 scored try ,gave away stupid penalty for tackle in air

Lowe 4 very poor by his standards, awful kicks bar first one.

Keenan 7 ( great cover to prevent try after crazy offload by Sheenan)

Al Al zero for the penalty crazy

Baird 6

Ngatai 7

Jenkins 3

Coaches tactics 3 said it in match thread we needed to vary line out put up a jumper make them a bit of a battle. Subs also on way too late.

leinster players laughing in stands v munster says it all , cullen f cked up big time , his interview today was emm , emm , oh and emm

That's just bizarre.

But also something to be used as motivation next season.

• Advertisement

I think we showed too much respect to be honest, changing a game plan for them.

Definitely going to be remembered. Acting the dickhead even in victory. In the build up everyone was tripping over themselves to be complimentary to La Rochelle.

The media love in for ROG now will be unbearable, especially on off the ball, will have to stay clear of it for a couple of weeks

The amount of English fans tripping over themselves to gloat over the Leinster loss is bizarre. I'm convinced their media has built Leinster as a bogey man to deflect from their own serious structural failings. And there's probably some good old fashioned John Bull exceptionalism at play as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I think a few players needed a run last week. I still can't believe that Lowe took a full part in warm up last week. I would've thought that he needed a run out before tonight.

It's a poor reflection on the Leinster management that they finish another season empty handed. I think they showed a lack of respect to URC last week. Munster went full strength and came out on top. I'm sure there's a significant financial impact too as a result of these losses.

Despite the start today, it was always going to be difficult to beat La Rochelle. When Leinster were under pressure today their kicking to clear their lines was so poor. Couldn't believe when JGP was told that the ball had been carried back, that he kicked it straight out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Why did we not go for the corner on 47 mins?!

Did we learn nothing from last year?! We scored three points in the second half. Our two kicks out on the full and a couple of slices put us under so much unnecessary pressure.

We should also have had more patience at the end to get over.

I was wondering about this earlier, before the match opinions seemed to be 50/50 in a combined team. Afterwards who gets past their opposite number in LaR? Keenan, Sheehan, JOB(?), Henshaw over Danti is a tough call, Ryan, maybe Ringrose, not sure anyone else is even close. It's most often the way when you lose though. Not many Munster players would get into the Leinster team though after last weeks match a fair number of them would have strong claims.

• Advertisement

Sorry what?

He's clearly now sticking the boot in for no reason. As is his wont.

Advertisement