Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So... GameStop is f**ked

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Looks like they’re moving into GameStop’s old spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭barryribs

I could count on one hand the amount of times I've bought stuff there and I only buy physical releases. They had a good sale on 3ds games a few years back but that was about the best 'value' they ever offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The 3DS had such a narrow end-of-life window before the prices shot back up. It's more expensive to collect for than current consoles and that's more all the more painful by the fact that as recently as early 2020 they were practically giving away the big-hitters like DQ7 for absolute pennies in places like Argos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭barryribs

I picked up a load of these, I know I got pokemon sun, moon and ultramoon for 45 EUR and a good few others. I struggle with the size of the even the 3ds xl but will have to jump back into it, I have a load unplayed

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CopperFaceZachs

Saw this yesterday! They should just shift totally on selling online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Glaceon

HMV were two doors down, where Elverys is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Not sure where the excitement about HMV is coming from, quick look at the website and it's looking like they haven't advanced to the CD age yet and the shops are full of vinyls

Went into a Golden Discs a while back looking for a Blu ray of Dune and they literally had one single shelf of movies, rest of the shop was records. I imagine HMV will be a similar experience

If they do sell games it'll probably be just Atari and SNES classics, or PC games on floppy disks 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Went to my local one and they are selling the fittings now.

I bought slatted wall segments and rows of shelving. Should make for a lovely display

• Advertisement

Have bought more in Gamestop in the last 2 weeks than the last 10 years. Bray went 40% off on PS4, 5 and the XBox stuff, so cleaned up a bit. Switch stuff is still at 20% off, which brings newer stuff in line with what Smyths are charging for it anyways.

They'll probably be selling the tills next, hopefully they forget to take the money out first 😂

Not far off, they were selling off the big rolling screens when I was in there earlier. Would love if someone got it and used it for shmups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I know you were saying that kinda tongue-in-cheek but have you seen how much retro gaming is going for these days? :D

GameStop Liffey St have upped their discount again, so my wallet is counting the seconds until they shutter.

Think it was 50% off all games that aren’t Nintendo and even those are 30% off now I recall. Picked to absolute death, mind, but scoped a couple of gems still.

Slightly off topic, but I'm struggling to figure out how any of these brick and mortar game shops make money

I suppose since GameStop is closing the simple answer is that they don't

But here's an example that has me confused. My wife wanted to get a Switch game recently that was €60 in the Nintendo store. She ended up buying it from Smyth's for €35

I figured it would be a game card, but it was actually just a download key. So the whole act of getting a physical copy was in essence a less convenient method of buying the game digitally

But how did Smyth's make any money in that scenario? I get that the case didn't cost €35 to produce and distribute (albeit being an incredibly wasteful way to distribute a game) but that must be close to the price they bought the game from Nintendo at

I assume Nintendo is going to give the retailers a slight discount versus the price of the game in the store, otherwise all physical copies would cost more anyway

But I don't see any reason for them to give a huge discount to retailers. Particularly if they follow the same model as Steam and take around 30% of the sales revenue, which makes more expensive games more profitable, and they'd have to split that with the retailer for physical copies

Frankly there doesn't seem to be any inventive for Nintendo (or any other console developer) to sell physical copies of the digital store is way more profitable for them and eliminates lost revenue from trade ins

Anyway, the end result of my thinking is that it seems like Smyth's either sold that game at cost or at a loss. If that's the sales strategy then no wonder GameStop fell apart

The only profitable side of the business seemed to be trade ins and the merch, both of which were always unreliable markets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Just got Advance Wars for switch in Gamestop for €36 40%off switch games in certain stores until Monday.

Non ninty bargain got Xbox wireless headset for 60% off €36 in total feeling pretty chuffed with advance wars and the headset for less than the rrp of the headset.

Advertisement