Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

The good thing is that they are wasting their ink telling farmers to spread. A lot of lads put out very little last year and got on as well (All be it the year was a good growing one) the same approach will be taken this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭older by the day

I could not see that happening either. I rear a few and some of my outlying yearlings pay but to be honest the yearling heifers on the slats don't cover themselves. Not down here anyway. It's definitely costs over 650 last year including calf price to rear a yearling to 300kg. That's only feed. Lucky to get 700 for a heifer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Jb1989

True.

But my reply was to someone saying that the suckler farmer needs to stop to lessen the head of animals in the country, thus increaseing the value of the remaining national herd, which will be predominantly dairy based.

Which I agree with, but there will be enough dairy bulls to keep the kill at the 30,000 plus, thus keeping a ceiling on prices.

Most dairy men don't want the hassle of rearing these calves, so that leaves Larry and Co to source a feed lot system to rear these calves, of course on a set budget.

Again my reply was to the reducing of suckler bred to lessen the national herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Then why did the processors pay through the nose for cattle this time last year. Ya you could expect AA or HE as DNA testing could show a serious discrepancy but they flat priced QA assured Friesian's and other cattle as well.

Very few Friesian's are killed as bulls, yes this year a good few lads went back to the U24&U16 young bulls. However the numbers are still only 30% of the bull era of 10 years ago.

As for feedlot's getting into calf production you do not understand the system. There may be limited excursions but they are multiple limiting factors.

Mainly nitrates, no grazing and costs of infrastructure

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The factories already have calf-rearing enterprises to get the calf to store or finish stage. I’m one of the thousands doing it for them!

They control beef price which sets the price for everything else back thru the supply line. As long as Teagasc and IFJ keep promoting dairy beef, then Larry and Co are not likely to change the system they have in place at the moment.

This is no conspiracy theory. It’s just how the beef sector is structured in Ireland. There’s no alternative routes to market. Alternative enterprises are mostly organics, rare breeds, minimum stocking rate with max payments, etc. These are viable part-time options in my book for work-life-cash balance.

The more-more-more model pushed by the “industry” suits the factory and supermarket more than the farmer. QA is then the factory/supermarket PR to take the bad look off the more-more-more feedlot system.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

So it’s the suckler man’s fault that prices are kept low for dairy bred stock (and all stock). Not to mention that for every suckler cow/farm that reduces it is absorbed by a dairy farm that moved to intensive production. Wager without looking that there has been more dairy cattle added in the last 10 years than sucklers have reduced.

Factories love one farmer blaming the other with poorly thought out theories.

And feedlots are going to buy caves and keep them 12-18 month rather than buy stores and finish in less than 3months. That brought the lols.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

This is an interesting area as to where to industry is going. The big push now is for qa for the life of the beast. Just look at SCEP and also the various club the factories have started in the past 3 years. Kepaks effort to have a closed loop on inputs and where stock come from, Larry's then with single move cattle killed under certain ages. All of these schemes have a common theme which is QA for life and a reduction of moves.

This reduction of moves and qa for life seems to be the direction that the want to go. The greenwashing element then will be taken care by BB for them. We must remember that it's not the the image of landcrusier speeding up and down the long feed passage of a feedlot that charlie and co take with them on the trade missions. It's the farmers here out in a field of grass and cattle gathered around.

Finally it's worth a Google of ABP new scheme in the UK ( game changer) They buy AA calves, send them to calf rearer, them a store rearer and finally a finisher. Each farmer paid for their work but don't own the stock. They are actively recruiting for each of the stages particular, calf suppliers and rearers. Sounds familiar to the chicken industry.

Expect it come to our shores soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I don’t think so.

We’re about a third of the way through the silage contracting season now, based on our average annual bale count, and more than three quarters of people we’ve baled for went back to almost their normal rate of fertiliser rather than the reduced rate of last year and bale count is up on all farms as a result.

Silage was very scarce around here in the spring with lads buying from 50 plus km’s away and having to pay big transport charges so costing €50-€60 per bale in their yards and some of it being poor quality. No matter what the price of fertiliser it was going to be cheaper than that.

10-12 bales per acre is nearly the norm this year whereas this time last year it was 6-8 bales. The heaviest we’ve seen was a 10 acre field a farmer bales himself with an F5500 McHale and we wrap for him. He had 200 bales on the 10 acres. He was one of the men that had to buy feed last spring and was adamant that wouldn’t happen him again.

I know it varies around the country. I’m in regular contact with a small contractor in Roscommon and he had the complete opposite story in the spring and said there was no shortage of feed around him with everyone having surplus. But in the midlands the fertiliser use would have seen a big increase on last years numbers.

A variation on contract-rearing dairy heifers. Interesting times

The factories as it stands can’t get enough feedlots to finish enough cattle to depress price. And a feedlot only holds cattle for a few short months.

Hard to see them finding enough calf rearers and store rearers (that would need to bring the cattle to 16-18 month) to get a production wheel rolling along the supply chain like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

I think the beef industry is going to see big changes in the next few years. There’s a generation of older farmers who are almost done farming and there isn’t the same commitment to it from the younger generation coming on…

Also the fact that productive farmers getting squeezed by lessening spf payment is going to lead to scaling back also, the cash flow just isn’t the same as it was. We as farmers are always frustrated with the beef factories but in reality it’s a subsided industry for a reason…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

+1

Yea, you can't just drop fertiliser input for one year and then claim there's no difference in crops,

Some organic farmers think the same until the second or third year organic when low fertility starts to bite.

I know one organic farmer that trades cattle slurry from a local farmer and pays for equivalent fertiliser for the local farmer.... greenwashing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

Sounds like the farmers you are baling for are over stocked and falling for the ifj/factory propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

If you can control 10-20% of stock, you are a lynch pin. Just look at the effects of the 22%of the kill coming from feedlots. The price of beef in the UK and Europe has powered on, where are we, going backwards

The feedlots effect more than the small scale finisher, it also effects the store man aswell being able to depress the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭older by the day

In middling land you have to open up the spinner from April to mid September. Winter can can vary from 3 months in good land to 7 months in middling land. Nothing worse than running short of silage. Money aside it's the feeling of uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

I'm well aware of all that as I am on heavy land myself but the last 10% of stock that some lads are running shouldn't be there at all. They really suck the good out of the returns.

Agreed too, it's no surprise the factories will take on the roll of calf to beef rearing. They'll pay what ever along the line to each rearer, but they'll have the upper control.

If the milkman doesnt want to rear the calf, and the beef man doesn't want to buy these so called poor calf then Larry will take it on, at least till a Bobby system is introduced, but that's a different debate.

Agree but they still don’t have control. If they did the price be on the floor now.

I think the idea of a production wheel from calf to finish controlled by factory is impossible here (nothing is impossible etc etc but it is close to it).

Consider a feedlot killing 5000 a year. 1250 every quater after holding 90 days. Prior to that you would need another massive holding sending 1250 stores aged 15months to 18month to the feed lot every quater. Prior to that it gets more complicated and for a single feedlot calf to store to manage effectively they would need to be running multiple bunches of different age cattle to maintain supply within each quater to ensure continued supply along the production chain. The scale is not imaginable in Ireland when every shed of capable size is already in the finishing game.

No, certainly not.

The drought last summer had a big effect here. I know it did in the south east too whereas along the western side of the country the effect was minimal.

Silage was being fed for 6-8 weeks during the summer here last year. When the rain eventually did come it was too late and grass never recovered. The wet autumn then had cattle in a month earlier than normal. That’s almost 3 months extra feeding. 4-5 months of winter feeding would be the norm here, that turned into 7-8 months last year.

If anything it was nearly the complete opposite to your comment was what happened. The higher stocked lads that put out their fertiliser in March/April and had their silage in the yard by this time last year were fairly ok as they had a bank of second cut and grazing grass built up before the drought hit. It was the lads forever giving out about teagasc that only decided to shake a handful of fertiliser in May for fear they’d have lost a euro or two’s worth of it in a shower in April that got caught as once they cut their silage in June/July there was no growth after that for the rest of the season really.

I haven’t bought the FJ any more than a handful of times in the last 5 years and I don’t have a teagasc advisor either so I’m not one for worrying about what they’d recommend. I go on my own knowledge and experience of my own farm and one thing for sure, like @wrangler alluded to above, you might get away for one year with cutting back on fertiliser, but by the second or third year the reserves in the land will be gone too and that’s where you’ll get into bother.

There’s no FJ or factory man putting a gun to anyone’s head and telling them what way to stock their farm. That’s all on the farmer himself. Whatever way a lad wants to stock his farm then he’ll have to grow the grass to suit. There’s no point thinking you can get away with no investment and then blame everyone else when you’re not making money from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

In the UK you have a lot bigger farms than in Ireland so hired labour is required. As well you have a lot less grass in the diet and more grain. Tfe physical cost of housing would be lower, but you have longer winters as grass will not be growing for 10-20 and maybe more days after we get growth.

Ya QA for life seems to be where we are going. Whether that is a good or bad thing it's hard to know. It will definitely cause a redefinition of the way feedlots work in Ireland.

If you are baling 10+ bales this early silage area was not grazed off. Quality is compromised it either than or there is a lot of water being baled.

At over 15 bales to the acre it's a mixture of poor quality feed and a lot of water being baled. Last time I got 12 bales to the acre it was water I was baling and it was the start of the first week in June.

Feedlots are depending on buying cheaper than they can be produced them to make a profit.

The so calked productive farmers were crippling the rest of us. Producing beef for Larry below the cost of production.

Because last year was so dry it hid the fertilizer issue especially on heavier land. As well during a dry summer residual N that is deep in the ground comes back to the surface.

That and they like baling water

There is a cost benefit figure, it's easy to control 15-20% at certain times of year. However it's dependent on someone else producing a store. If you have to carry from calves it's too expensive.

I would agree extra stock add cost that many lads do not realize between maybe having to buy silage, tent land or spread extra fertilizer, it amazing the way costs increase when you go above a certain stocking level.

Feedlots are used to target certain times of year. The December to early February shortage as many beef farmers are not inclined to house before mid to late October at the earliest and again from April to early summer when cattle come off grass in numbers. If the feed at other times it's generally at there own risk even if they probably get a favourable price.

So generally it two lots of 2.5k in your senario. Now add housing for that many calves, then facilities to overwinter them.the first winter. Finally you have to figure how you manage the 2.5k for April to early summer finish.

Along with that feedlots buy a lot of short term stock( requiring sub 50 days) to finish to reduce cost and increase margin

Slava Ukrainii

If you feed it it’ll grow.

One of my dairy farming customers had 9 bales per acre during the week after spreading no nitrogen, only what it got from slurry, and he uses 0-7-30. He’s focusing hard on using clover the past 4-5 years and reducing nitrogen by around 70%. He zero grazed that field already in March this year.

We’re in peak grass growing season, any field closed up since March and not yielding 9 ton plus of fresh yield per acre now is either poor ground or poorly fed ground. If you don’t have the grass growing now you won’t have it for the rest of the year either.

If you’re waiting until June to cut silage then unless it was grazed up to the end of April your quality is poor whether you have 3 or 23 bales per acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The sunrise w@nkers are back another 10 cent for next week who ever taught this would happen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Dropped a single heifer to liffey meats in bjd.not keeping track of prices as haven't hung anything since before Christmas. Its a long time since i seen as many cattle trailers dropping off stock. Assuming a pull??

Pulled 5 cents a fortnight ago and another 5 was due the week gone by. Went from 5.25 to 5.15 base. Must be another pull due maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

A few comments here about fertility being ran out of ground after 2 or 3 years on farms that reduce inputs or go organic. It's just at that point where the land is coming out of its withdrawal symptoms from acidic artificial fertiliser and the natural biological N and nutrient cycling mechanisms, which were damaged and inhibited are kicking in again.

The cost of those marginal watery bales is actually quite high.

I was listening to Tom Stack (who's from your part of the country is he?) on a recent Organic Matters podcast.

I'm not sure I could ever make the various potions he was on about but it was interesting all the same. He reckons he's getting around 20l/cow at the moment (no meal) and the aim is for cows to live til they're 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

Someone wants €25 a bale for Silage for mowing, baling , wrapping and drawing in for bales of silage does this seem reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Seems expensive to me. Are you supplying plastic?

It's going to be 8/9 per bale to bale and wrap. Plastic extra. Then depending on the draw it could be 5 per bale if it's a good distance. Mowing is around 25/acre and ya probably need raking at 10/acre too. Cost per bale of those will be based on the number of bales/acre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I'll probably be paying €18 per bale to mow, rake, bale, wrap, depends on the draw but if the draw is'nt massive that sounds dear to me.

Advertisement