Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

Lowe definitely would have been sharper had he played last week. He was rusty. Not sure about Tadgh, is he walking wounded? I’m a bit surprised they didn’t stick frawley at ten in for the end. RB wasn’t great up until then and wasn’t leading or taking on responsibilities. May have been a mistake to leave Harry out. In the cold light if day this failure reflects poorly on the coaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

An awful lot of bitter non-Irish fans gloating on Twitter tonight. I've even seen some ex-pros get in on the action. It's so odd.

I get that you want to laud it over the side that regularly beats you, but it's hardly as if Leinster has done it in an inorganic way either. The entire set up went out of it's way to praise La Rochelle and were at pains to stress that it was a 50/50 fixture. But some mindsets are so fixed that despite what's laid in front of you you see the boogeyman you've invented in your own head.

I genuinely do think that there's a lot of begrudgery at play here. One organisation that actually has its **** together and is taking full advantage of it. Whilst the Welsh and English systems are so dysfunctional that they they need an external villain. Scotland is in a similar boat, but not as in the shite as the former.

On a side note, I walked by Shane Horgan and Joe Molloy on Grafton Street like 15 minutes ago. Shaggy looked devo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I believe it will be more difficult for teams to gain momentum by going through the phases, even if they are more powerful. It doesn't affect maul and scrum, obviously.

I think there should be a bigger role for Joe McCarthy moving forward. He's plenty powerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He should've benched today, Jenkins was useless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

I want to thank that post but you shortened "devastated" entirely unnecessarily!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I just cannot believe how badly Leinster have butchered this season.....

Home Playoff matches all the way in 2 competitions (that wont ever happen again)......and they finish empty handed....

Disrespecting the URC has cost them badly....

O'Gara has to be lined up now as the next Irish Head Coach....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

It was a ridiculous decision, on so many levels. If they had gone fully loaded against Munster, the outcome today may not have been different but would likely still have a trophy to play for next week.

I can't get my head around why you don't go fully loaded at this point in the season. It's cup rugby. There's no 2nd chances.

Hi, Rape of Lucretia!

Is that you whose been registering half a dozen new accounts to troll tonight's results?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Just watched the post match press conference of Leo and Ringrose.

Jesus if I was a leinster fan I'd be fuming at Leo's attitude of "ah sure just gotta stay at it".

Own it Leo. Be disappointed. Be crestfallen. Show the fans that it means something to you other than a paycheck.

That's a terrible press conference from a losing coach of a final. Laughing and giggling about "the finest of margins".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,916 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What? Whose better than them in the URC? And before you respond, one loss in a semi-final with the majority of the team being seconds doesn't make the team that defeated them better and they just about best the Leinster seconds.

Only one team better than them in the Champions Cup the last two years. They went into the Champions cup final as favourites, that doesn't happen unless you have shown yourself to be at the top of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

They played a pretty strong team against the bulls the year before.

ROG is one hell of a PR man. The EPCR confirmed that they arranged rooms for La Rochelle but the club turned them down. But he spins the narrative in his clubs favour. Very Mourinho esque. Wind your side up at a perceived injustice and go from there.

That's the luxury of winning I suppose. You can tell the story that suits and it'll be eaten up.

Had Leinster won they would have been at pains to insist their plans in the weeks leading to the final were correct. And they would have been believed too.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

ROG is certainly a fantastic coach. Clearly, he should be in the conversation post Faz.

What's hardest for me to take is that Leinster obviously learned from last seasons final, yet they still lost. In 2022 they took the points which were on offer rather than back themselves and go for the trys. They played a lot of rugby in front of the La Rochelle defence without getting them to commit and make decisions.

This time around Leinster were brave and took risks in their set piece attack. They scored trys, but also made La Rochelle commit in defence which led to Leinster penalties. It was a massive improvement over what happened last year. But we still lost.

Eventually you have to stop learning lessons and actually win the thing. I don't know how we do that now. We've many brilliant players that have excelled at test level, but have fallen short in Europe. The change in coaching set up may help. It will be good to have a fresh set of eyes analyse the squads deficiencies and see what can be improved.

Also, it would be nice to win a trophy just to shut the morons up. Awful lot of bile being posted online.

your Last line is totally obnoxious. Leinster literally have it all and blow it again. People pointing out those inadequacies are not morons, it’s the fine margins crowd who consistently misinterpret the evidence in front of them, led by Leo. We were unlucky today to lose Ryan, he might have managed those line outs and penalties better in the last quarter, but that’s an insufficient explanation for what went wrong. Leinster were out thought and out coached, we reacted appropriately to last year but LAR had moved on, unsurprisingly. Caught out by fighting the last war.

I'm not talking about people pointing about Leinster's inadequacies. I've done plenty of that this evening.

I've no idea where you even got that from.

You are just looking for something to complain about.

ROG is one hell of a coach. Give him his dues. Don't dislike him because he used to play with Munster. He's the coach of La Rochelle now, you haven't heard any suggestion that he wants to coach Munster have you?

He's worked hard to get to where he is now. He deserves all the credit he gets for that.

Leinster issues are psychological. Losing both tournaments last year had an affect on them. That's why you have sports psychologists. The issue is the sports psychologists who haven't sorted out the problem.

Personally I'd love to get that job. It'd take me two days max to sort them out. It's pretty easy.

You could see it today, they started great but then went into defend mode. When have you seen Leinster in defend mode this year? When they get a good lead they are looking for more. If they get to thirty points they are looking for forty and if they get there then fifty. And here we were today with them changing their normal game plan which worked incredibly well against Toulouse.

As I said that's on the sports psychologists. They don't just work with the players, they work with the coaches as well.

• Advertisement

O'Gara was clearly spinning a story about his side feeling slighted in the build up the game. He wrapped that up in Alldritt's fantasy about Ryan disrespecting him as well.

It's been confirmed that Leinster had nothing to do with any sort of arrangements for the La Rochelle side and the ECPR were handling all of that.

Leinster were outplayed by the better side. It was close, but they still lost. That doesn't excuse O'Gara's comments post game.

I'm absolutely bitter at how we lost the game and disappointed (maybe unreasonably so) with what has emerged after full time.

You need to win to be the best team. You didn’t win so you aren’t the best. Its pretty simple.

Interesting to think about how often ppl describe Leinster as the Irish team and it’s mostly true but you have to think Beirne POM and maybe vintage Hendo out there would have got Leinster over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

And Murray, Bealham etc. off the bench to close out the game not to mention the massive loss that is Sexton.

The disappointing thing about the loss for me is, JR goes off injured and everything falls to shyte. Seriously, what sort of pep talk was had at half time? By my count, JR had 4 or 5 good hits and after he left the field a resurgent opposition were met with what? There's no one available that can dust a ball carrier.

I think Ross Byrne fell short those last 10 or so minutes. He should have been directing better and taken the game by the scruff.

Regardless of Peyper or any other ref, Leinster had a shocking 30 or so minutes were they , excuse the similarities, played like Ulster! No offense to Ulster,that Leinster effort was what Ulster supporters have been screaming about for a while.

Next season can't come fast enough.

You see I'm not a Leinster so it's very clear to me what you are at because I don't have goggles on.

So good luck to you and I hope everybody sees this post and ignores you.

I’d say he has one eye on next year. LAR won’t be the underdog for any team then. Red hot favourites for the 3 in a row. He’ll want a chip on the shoulder no matter how it’s manufactured. He learned a lot in NZ and France but he learned that in Munster.

As for Leinster, is it the case that many of our first team players play their toughest matches of the season in green while for years the domestic derbies and pool stages of Europe are gimmes? When it comes to the very best opponents in knockouts they’re often the first real battles they’ve had. LAR on the other hand have a packed schedule of intense fixtures towards the end of their season, same with the likes of Saracen’s in the past. Leinster’s capitulation after JR left today was uncharacteristic but maybe not that surprising.

That made zero sense but good luck to you as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Not only should it be remembered but it should be copied.

Simple tactics by ROG to have his team believe that they are not respected, put some anger and fight into his players.

And it worked, have all the calculated tactical set plays and strategy you want but fire and passion goes a long way.

Advertisement