Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster V Stade Rochelais. Champions Cup Final. Sat May 20, 16:45. Aviva Stadium, Dublin.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has Ross Byrne ever hit a drop kick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭theVersatile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I hope Leinster lick ther wounds , learn , but dont just tear up the template its been successfull and attractive at a time when rugby popularity is waning, I grew up watching Champagne French rugby , that Leinster try to play , its ironic that this winning French team are playing the colliion brute game , that is killing the game for me and many others .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭standardg60

Absolute class from Skelton there, solely focussed on Ryan's welfare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,181 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

100%. I noticed it at the time. He probably saw the prop kneeing him in the head. Fair play to Skelton.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Hard luck leinster , and let's be honest this does not look good for Ireland in the world cup

La rochelle just gave our world cup rivals the blueprint

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Not sure. We said this after last years final and then Ireland went and won a series in NZ and a Grand Slam. I think it's fair to say the Irish coaches are far superior to the Leinster coaches. Also, I don't think there's an international pack with the size and power as La Rochelle. Test teams can't open a chequebook and put together a squad of guys like Atonio, Skelton, Botia, Aldritt and Danty. That squad has been carefully assembled over years with players being selectively signed. Test rugby isn't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Byrne bottled it, his refusal to take the 3 points towards the end will define him unfortunately.

I find it hard to credit La Rochelle, their game plan is little more than giant men running very hard at the opposition. Yes it’s effective but let’s stop pretending ROG is some sort of tactical genius, it’s South Africa 2019 style rugby, brutally simplistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think not kicking the long pen was a mistake. if you miss it you get the ball back. It was on the 10 meter line which i’d expect is within range. That should have been kicked.

After that, off that lineout the ball went into midfield, which is perfect… I expected a few phases and a drop goal. Then it starts sliding out to the channel and i’m wondering what the hell JGP is doing. They are 1 point down. There is no universe where going for a try there is a higher percentage than either that penalty or a central drop goal.

I’m not blaming one guy, who knows who made the decisions but it was worrying with ireland in mind because everyone who could have made them will probably be playing for ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Played out concern trolling is the order of the day I see.

There are many things one can fault Leinster for today. But dealing in hypotheticals for how one might play for a different side, under a different coaching team, is taking the piss.

Mistakes were made. How they deal with it his a question for Leinster. But not one for Farrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Parkender

Aaa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

France and South Africa can easily field teams as big as that La Rochelle team ...you know SA will revert to type come world cup and I wouldn't be surprised just with the nature of world cups and how they've been won in the past that the french will rely on similar more than the past few years have suggested. It's how top14s are won and that will stand to them

Ireland have no choice but to stick to what they're at but know that things like quick ball, possession, parity at set piece and all the intricacies of their play wont come as easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think playing LaRochelle’s game plan isn’t as easy as it looks. Munster have been attempting to transition to it and they looked terrible for most of the season.

I think France could put together a game plan like this that works against us. I think South Africa will spend the camp drilling down on being a fantastic kick pressure team.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Over the last 6 seasons the only teams to beat Leinster in Europe are La Rochelle, La Rochelle, La Rochelle, Saracens, Saracens, and Toulouse!

Three seasons in a row La Rochelle have beaten us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

• Subscribers Posts: 41,524 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The cheque book wins. Quelle surprise

great game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Absolute bollocks, there was 1 team that tried to play rugby for 60 minutes today and it wasn't Leinster

France and South Africa can easily field teams as big as that La Rochelle team

No international side can field a pack with Atonio and Skelton in it, who IMO are the best TH and lock in the world respectively. France have Willemse, who is good but not near as good as Skelton. SA also have big locks but none who are as good as Skelton. The Bok props are good for scrummaging but not much else. They don't offer anywhere near the carrying threat that Atonio does.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Test teams can't open a chequebook and put together a squad of guys like Atonio, Skelton, Botia, Aldritt and Danty.

Whatever about the rest, this is a grossly unfair characterisation of La Rochelle with with regards Atonio and Botia imo, two guys who famously played with LAR in Pro D2, a decade ago.

LAR deserve credit for developing them into the players they are today, who can now command a big salary.

But there’s no way they were when they started there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Easily? I don’t think they can forwards as big and effective that easily. And if they can that is two teams in the world.

Blaming Byrne when he should have been Ireland and Leinster's number 1 long ago instead of driving on with an ageing, injury prone, Sexton.

I've said for ages that our insistence on Sexton being the man will hurt us.

It will hurt us again at the World Cup. Byrne hasn't gotten the time and respect he deserves.

Sexton was nominated for World Player of the Year again just last year.

There isn’t a team in the world who would have backed an alternative when they had a player of that calibre, in spite of his age.

LAR deserve credit for developing them into the players they are today

I don't believe I ever argued otherwise. But I strongly suspect the fact that Atonio is a 6'6, 150kg behemoth was a big reason why they signed him in the first place. And the fact that Skelton is a 6'8, 140kg monster is a big reason why they signed him. They've also went out and signed the best 12 in the world. International teams can't do that. There isn't a test team with the same concentration of size and power. Not even France or SA. That why I don't believe that Leinster's latest capitulation necessarily spells doom for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Not only those two players but ROG has taken players like Rhule, Dulin, Bourgarit, Lleyds, Dillane who have international level experience but not wanted at that level now by their country. He has taken some diamonds from the rough and polished them up no end.

Money aside the leinster team has how many current first choice starting internationals compared to the LAR side???

And they are also playing with a belief that french teams dont have. 17 points down away from home french teams fold up the tent, but not this side and credit where credit is due on that front.

Ross Byrne is 28. We've wasted his development years while trying to keep Sexton afloat.

Sexton, if he makes it to the World Cup, will be in the top 3 oldest players to ever compete at the tournament.

Fly-half, the most important position on the field and we'll be relying on an injury prone 38 year old.

A thorough embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

There is an excellent out half with very high potential playing for Munster. What was wrong this season is that Byrne was backed as No.2 off kicking a penalty and nothing else. Byrne is good but he will never be international class. Sexton is still better than him. While a sceptic about the hype, Harry is better than his brother - and god knows why he was not on the bench yesterday.

There’s a clear insinuation when saying “taking out the chequebook” that you’re spending big money on the finished product.

That wasn’t at all the case with regards Atonio and Botia.

I'm not a particularly massive fan of Byrne, my wider point is that we should have been developing our #1 fly-half long before now, whoever that may be.

Byrne was deemed THE guy and he has played second fiddle to Sexton for years. Even the notion that Sexton announced that the World Cup would be his last hurrah is madness. A 38 year old assuming he'll be in the squad...

It's why we win **** all, every other country on the planet build towards World Cups. Our excuse is "the Six Nations keep the lights on". Utter bollocks. We're far too emotionally connected to our players. "He's been a great player", "I met him in Centra, top fella".

We'll do **** all in this World Cup too.

(Apologies for deviating away from your fair point)

• Advertisement

There’s a clear insinuation when saying “taking out the chequebook” that you’re spending big money on the finished product.

If you say so

Advertisement