Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭howiya

What happened to the "new financial package to offset the effects of inflation" referred to the article. Was this introduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

The government acquiesced to the Greens and didn't give anything to households. Only businesses got additional benefits - business energy supports etc.

Which most people would agree is completely backwards, but thats what you get with two very pro-business parties (FF&FG) and one militantly environmentalist party that cares little for the damage it does to poorer households (the Greens). Business gets prioritised, households get ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Must be an election around the corner, MM spouting empty promises:

https://www.thejournal.ie/micheal-martin-tanaiste-40000-new-homes-a-year-thejournalie-6068761-May2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Lol, well he sure knows how to talk that.

Anyone hear O’Gorman on the radio with Mary Wilson this morning? She wiped the floor with him, it was cringeworthy listening to him.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

I think it's fairly obvious now that the man and his mouthings and activities are an embarrassment. Once FG digests their position post election, he's gone and I suspect he knows that already.

Would it be in FG's interest to push him out now? A new leader with a fresh focus? Very little else to do for a party in power for 13 years, that looks a spent force.

Just criticising SF isn't going to wash it as policy.

I cannot speak for FG, but if was up to me I would run him. He’s doing untold damage & surely FG have nothing to lose promoting ( I suspect ) Coveney.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭BrianD3

He's doing Sinn Fein's work for them with comments like that. Is it his strategy to sh*t the nest and leave a mess for someone else to clean up?

Invoking something that Seamus Mallon said 25 years ago for which he got criticised at the time - and those sort of comments are much less acceptable than they were back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

That's an absolutely disgusting comment from Varadkar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This government needs going fast

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

No no, not yet. They need to reap what they sowed further. Another 2 years just to sway all the blinkered.

When FG took over the power swap in 2011 the country was in a bad place. It's arguably much worse now despite all the promises. Housing disaster, Rental crisis, health system crumbling, longest waiting lists, worse trolley crisis, doctors and nurses emigrating, massive national debt, more corruption and cronyism, still no children's hospital or final cost, woeful handling of church abuse survivors (abuse heaped upon abuse), no long term plan for immigration, none of the promised reform delivered etc etc. All on FG.

We will have to endure another 2 years of the 3 unwise men who will then get cushy numbers elsewhere no doubt. So be it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Hes really just a genuinely bad politician. Saying something like that only appeals to hardcore FG voters who really dislike SF, whos vote he already has secured. For any SF voters, neutrals, or anyone with a disabled relative its a massive turn off.

Hes trying to apply the current US hyper-partisan political rhetoric to Irish politics, but that doesn't work when your committed support base is only around 15% of the electorate in a PRSTV system instead of 50% in a FPTP system. Its objectively stupid, somewhat ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Oh FFS. Bloody rubbish. Seamus Mallon accurately described the GFA as "Sunningdale for slow learners." It's got nothing to do with disability, rather ignorance - which is a choice. People like SF/IRA who took 30+ years to learn from their mistakes at the cost of thousands of innocent lives. If you want to be governed by those with blood still dripping from their hands then you go you.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Much worse than 2011 when there was massive unemployment?

Get a grip ffs. Yes there are problems but I'd rather have the problems of a rich country than a poor one. All of our problems stem from housing and yes the government is failing here but they can't force development in an area which is opposed. SF councillors are the ultimate NIMBYs ironically.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭antimatterx

He's some man for putting his foot in it.

I'm a FG member, I voted for Leo back in 2017, but he needs to go. He's not good at elections and he's turned out to be a prick.

FG need Paschal Donohoe as leader. Although I think he's off to Europe, so Simon Coveney is probably the next choice.

Relax there. All I've highlighted is that Leo has managed to offend people with another one of his remarks. I'm not offended by it but if you have an issue with people being offended by it take it up directly with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Worth recalling what SF's stance was in 2010. They wanted us to follow Greece - and further they wanted us to default. That was their policy.

Ask yourself, had this country done that, and became a pariah that couldn't be trusted with other people's money would this country be in the stable financial situation it is today?

The answer is no. It's highly likely we would still be locked out of the markets unable to borrow money and in a very grim place.

At least now we will have money to help fix problems.

Complaining about the current govt, and there is a lot to complain about, should not be license to let the opposition off the hook in my view.

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Is slow learning a disability now? Most slow learners that I've met did not have a disability

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...are you a trained professional such as an educational psychologist, and did you apply the appropriate tests in order to determine this 'informed opinion'?

• Advertisement

Iceland defaulted in 2011, due to being in a similar financial situation to Ireland, and had absolutely no problems remaining in the global financial system. They're not a pariah country and are perfectly financially stable today.

Ireland could, and should, have done the same - instead of wasting tens of billions of euros of taxpayer money to bail out foreign bond holders that money could have been used for lower taxes, better hospitals, more gardai etc for decades.

He managed to "offend" people perpetually looking to be offended.

As for your last sentence I did exactly that. Everything isn't about you you know.

This sort of sanctimonious shítposting is tedious in the extreme.

Well of course FF extremely foolishly guaranteed the banks. It was obvious even then that Anglo and Irish Nationwide were hopeless and should have been let go bang. What wasn't known was the size of the blank cheque FF were writing on our behalf. How anyone with at least half a brain has voted for them since that is a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

The country in certain areas certainly comes across as a poor one!

Fg need someone tenacious and a new face. Coveney, Donohoe etc are a joke. Usc abolished ... housing prioritised. Prudent financial management... investment in infrastructure.

Drop marginal rate of tax...

Increasing welfare by billions a year is seen as no problem, but eliminating usc is a problem? Spare me... as I read in an article earlier, with the oit of control increase in public spending, fg are having a laugh if they thing sf spending would be any or much worse...

Disability activists are people who are perpetually looking to be offended...

A strange view.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Prudent financial management

Very few votes for that in Ireland. What do you think was behind the last-minute SF surge at the last election. Could it have been government proposals to increase the pension age and other attempts at 'prudent financial management'?

Realistically fg wont get any vote surge, until income taxes are significantly decreased. They think increasing welfare is a vote winner, no welfare vote for them.... the grey vote though. I mean the unemployed and likely the huge number on disability allowance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I don't need to be an educational psychologist to know that slow learning is not a disability. It's not in the DSM or any other clinical reference that I am aware of.

Regarding, my statement on what I consider "slow learners" and their lack of a disability, I know that statistically a small proportion of people have a diagnosed learning disability and I've met a lot of slow learners from primary to grad school to private sector in multiple countries. I've met people who don't focus, don't care, lack confidence, stopped developing at a young age and couldn't catch up. I've also met people with a diagnosed learning disability such as dyslexia, who are not "slow learners". Honestly if Leo wanted to attack the disabled he would have referred to the disabled and not some colloquial term for dull people.

Advertisement