Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I know it’s probably a stupid idea but surely something can be built to put around equipment to try help limit the damage from drones, like a cage for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They are use nets in some cases where there is foliage to cover them , but it looks like in most cases they are in open fields ,it wouldn't take much to rig semi rigid netting over a position fairly cheap too .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Some kind of cope cage perhaps?

The problem with these fixed nets and cages is it is immobile.

For AA and artillery that are often moved around its not the most practical to have nets and cages surrounding in every direction.

They could have nets etc in a few different locations like fixed emplacements for vehicles to drive into, but then those positions become very easy to look for and the locations of SPGs, HIMARs and mobile AA becomes predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well apparently Zelenskiy has indicated that Russian forces now control the remaining central part they were fighting over for ages. But have Ukrainians still got positions on the flanks? But maybe it's all down to language differences. Putin is certainly waving his arms in the air and praising Wagner.

Netting and improvised wire cages are used in some cases. Netting was already used for camoflauge, it was found in some cases to stop drones also, by causing them to detonate too soon, or maybe not at all depending on the fuze type. Lancets have been caught up in nets several times.

These are relatively new theats (low-weight loitering munitions, improvised quads dropping mortar rounds etc) so there is some experimentation to see how to defend against them them. You want something that can be deployed quickly.

The operators have a video feed, so if they see netting or a cage they will try to approach from a different angle.

• Advertisement

F16s for Romania ,

This is a pilots view who training on the F16

Even we struggle at this point, and we started enhancing and getting the F-16 like seven or eight years ago, and we’re still not yet there,” Beraczko said. “We are so close; we are wanting and willing to be there as personnel, as maintenance, as even a force.”

Romania joined the NATO Partnership for Peace in 1994 shortly after independence and became a full NATO member 10 years later. Each step was a shift to the Western way of warfare.

From trained pilots and maintainers to required infrastructure to a boneyard of spare aircraft, Romania has been working on its transition to the F-16 for nearly a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

No ...its based on the officers who actually assessed the Ukranian pilots ... not some old chap from the UK

Please do try and keep up.

Two Air Vice Marshalls aren't some chaps , get the feeling there experience in this absolutely trumps anyone's opinion on here by a long way

Vs a few days in a simulator

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 25,524 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The worst part of that was the grandmother saying "That's right then!" after hearing that they had gotten the order.

The banality of evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭macraignil

More details on the supply of F16s to Ukraine in the article linked below that I can't read. A reported translation says it details how 45 F16s will be sent to Ukraine from Denmark and Holland after upgrade work on them is completed in spite of claims by a poster here on boards that F16s going to Ukraine was never going to happen any time soon:

"Ukraine will receive a total of 45 F-16 fighters, which, after modernization, will be provided by the Netherlands and Denmark.

Soon, Ukraine will immediately receive four squadrons of F-16 fighters, which will be transferred to the Ukrainian Air Force by Holland and Denmark. This was announced on his page on the social network Twitter by an Israeli military expert who writes online under the nickname The Crisis Watch. According to incoming information, Ukraine will receive a total of 45 fighters , which will replace the MiG-29s lost in the first months of the war.

The expert stressed that before being sent to Ukraine, the fighters will undergo a deep modernization in Belgium, which will be carried out by the British aerospace company SABCA.

"I have been informed that 45 ex-Danish and Dutch F-16AM/BM Fighting Falcon fighters will be delivered to the Ukrainian Air Force as a replacement for the MiG-29s lost during the war with the Russian Federation. Aerospace company SABCA in Belgium will overhaul and modernize the aircraft before delivery" , - noted in the message.

At the same time, the speaker of the Armed Forces of the Ukrainian Armed Forces, Ignat, also made a statement about the number of F-16s that will be handed over to Ukraine. According to him, Ukraine will receive a large batch of aircraft.

"No one will transfer F-16s to Ukraine one by one. They will be transferred by units. An aviation unit is a squadron, in our version it is 12+ aircraft. Western partners have a squadron - this is more, there are up to 18 aircraft. Several dozen aircraft can be transferred to Ukraine to start with to solve current problems ," he said."

So not in the next few weeks or months,

Seems your article is very makey up as they go along ,none of the countries mentioned have said anything about sending their F16s ,

Which along with training, flight,and ground crews will take 12 +

Even Ukrainian news saying forces have withdrawan from what left of bakhmut now,

Fair balls to them for holding out for so long

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Don't think the Bakhmut story is over just quiet yet. Think the Ukrainans are about to play another card.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

The Draken re-furbs should be completed soon... possibly a deal to send them to Ukraine instead with a promise to back fill with further Dutch F-16's?

So that would be no Norwegian F16s aren't going to ukraine in the first batch as you said

Definitely not over,it's only temporarily occupied that won't last too long,

Regroup,recover, and reoccupy when the time is right

• Advertisement

I didn't realise the airforce officers involved assessing the actual pilots were posting on boards .... 😳 🤔

Now but yet they have documented what's going to happen,

Unlike Boardsie claims of a few weeks time

Never say never. They sold 12 to Draken, 32 to Romania, and still had about a dozen left (unclear whether there were 55 or 57 still in service at the time of retirement). Of the 55/57, 10 were dual seater trainers, but no idea where those went

What we will likely see is several countries supplying a few each, as was done with just about every other system. We're already seeing that in terms of the training.

Will they be using them in Ukraine next week or next month, nope, but they will end up using them there, its just a matter of when. My personal guess (as good as anyone elses) is that they will arrive on the ground, with fully trained crews and support infrastructure, next spring. It might be sooner, it might be later, nobody knows

Now, all that being said, in 14 years on Boards, I've never seen someone twist themselves into knots more than you have with this F-16 discussion. While its been entertaining to watch, its run its course now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

My hope is that the Wagners are being encourged to settle in, camp down and stay in Bakmut…while the area gets encircled and they are trapped there. Then they can enjoy ruling over the gutted hulk of a minor town, while they run low on supplies and finally are forced to surrender.

We share the same opinion so ,

As I said from the very start when we had posters telling us A-10 warthogs were arriving in a few months, didn't happen but I yet Said the exact same thing training and logistics would need to come first so something like 2 + years ,then we had the same posters telling us F18 hornets was a dome deal see you in a few months were just waiting for the announcement, didn't happen, again logistics and training and infrastructure comes first,

Now we're on to F16s there coming in a few months,

But what about training, logistics and infrastructure first and foremost will take about 2 years according to experts and pilots themselves,

It will be a multi year program,but I never said they weren't going to get them ever as I said since last year it won't happen overnight,

No idea where your getting this notion of twisting myself in knots, I've been saying exactly what I said for all of the other Nato/American aircraft that didn't happen,

But like others before make a claim,then stop posting about it then come back and say I'm gettin you...or something similar but yet never happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

I’m wondering if NATO are being a bit cheeky and have been playing a clever mis-information campagn for the benefit of the Russians. Like with the Leopard & Abrams tanks; they made it look like the Germans & US were reluctant to supply tanks, but I suspect they had always intended to supply them. They just played up a sort of diplomatic fiction to confuse the Kremlin…until it was too late.

Prehaps the same has happened with the F16? That it was always the plan give Ukraine these fighters, and NATO decided to create confusion on the Russian side, right up until it was too late and their airforce were facing Western air-tech with little warning.

I am not quoting boardsies.... I'm quoting the actual assesors ... try focus on that and then come back with a somewhat coherent reply

Then again it could be a ploy to bring Russia to their senses and end this nonsense but it could be 2025 +before we see any F16s in Ukraine,we know for whatever reason that the Russians didn't remove the Ukrainan airforce from day one ,but something like this could have them change tactic again and directly target the Ukrainian airforce on the ground, leaving the airforce in a bit of trouble.

But then comes Russian air defenses ,to operate the newer western munitions they will have to fly at altitudes , which puts them at risk from missles and possibly other systems,

Based off two lads spending a few days in a simulator ,

Training pilots in the real world takes longer as well as training the maintenance crews that's going to take a hell of a lot of time ,

Training and basic logistics isn't going to happen in 4 months .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think you could be right as there does seem to be a pattern of conflicting statements which could very well be designed to keep the moskovytes guessing as to what to expect on the battlefield and in the sky above Ukraine. It's funny how a persistent poster on this thread thinks they are such an expert judge on which of these conflicting statements are true and which are deliberate misinformation. Any one with a bit of sense would know in an active war there will be some level of skepticism required when looking at any reports dealing with the conflict.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement