Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

If they want to develop it, why would you think they would be happy if any of it was CPOd? They have owned the site for about 2 decades and have done so with a "let it die" policy. One by one the shipyard cranes while operational were let fall into a state of disrepair until they reached a point where they had to be demolished on safety grounds. Another building suffered an electrical fault and was left burn to the ground. The fault was well flagged to the owners in advance. The pumps in the drydock are so old as to be antiques, and barely function. I'm sure when they eventually fail, the pump-house will be filled with concrete, and the drydock will suddenly be used to store building rubble...

Their current proposal is to clear it of all existing fabrication sheds to allow the site be used for assembly of offshore wind turbines. Prior to that they wanted to build houses on the whole place but the cleanup of the site made this uneconomical. This is the site as it currently stands.

This is their current "plan"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Back in the late 90s a friend of mine took on an old Irish Light Ship that had served off Wexford and had it encased in concrete at Kilmore Quay and opened as a museum and tea shop.

The interior maintenance that was required just to keep the hull from rusting through became quickly prohibitive and it was given up for scrap after a few short years.

Unless Eithne went to some State owned entity (like Asgard) with very deep pockets, I can't see her lasting as a floating museum ship of any sort for longer than five years. I did think previously that it would be ideal to berth permanently in Cork or at Cobh, but the reality is she's just not of a scale or significance maintaining.

A Naval museum is a noble aim, but it should be based on land at Cobh or as part of the Haulbowline regeneration, with access from the public part of the island.

Eithne should be scrapped with Ciara and Orla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I doubt the navy of DoD will want the eithne hanging around , with a begging bowl to save the ship going around every few years ,

Port of Cork seem to wisely stay away from these issues, so it'd likely be city council who'd sponsor it ,

I cant see it coming close to covering its maintenance costs - or even being the centre-piece of a marine display , or museum, its not aircraft carrier or battleship levels of huge, it hasnt got battle honours , and it doesnt have historical significance, other than being the last ship built in Verolme

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭sparky42

Agreed, I really think those suggesting saving her have zero actual knowledge of how costly such efforts are, it’s not a one off expense of putting her where ever, I mean even if you drydocked her totally she’s still going to have running costs far beyond what she’s likely to attract.

To most in the Navy, Eithne is a sad reminder of what could have been.

• Advertisement

Hard to argue with that. The original Bord Snip took care of any momentum of ambition in the mid 80s.

Still, hopefully we're in a new dawn of capability, all things considered, despite the current very serious manpower issues. Hopefully a new comprehensive package of remuneration and career opportunities is emerging and a whole new integrated active reserve component.

Hopefully.

Both Dublin Port and Cork County Council have withdrawn their interests in trying to sustain Eithne, perhaps someone has been pointing out the maths to them?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0518/1384328-le-eithne/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭roadmaster

When they say eithne was completly refurbed in 2017 what they acually mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

In preparation for a sinkex?

So not a full refurb.

Ciaras & Orlas 75mm that have being removed will they be kept for spare parts or sold on

So Sean, this is a ship, s.h.i.p. see?

76mm.

They are identical to that used on the P50s and P60s and can be swapped about when repairs or maintenance is required. They are maintenance intensive, and we already had a spare just for this. You can see them on their jig outside Ordnance stores. They look like some sort of mad coastal defence artillery.

What will become of the Unique in Irish service 57mm Bofors from P31 remains to be seen. The Last crewed main armament in service here.

They'll be kept in their entirety and rotated over the 6 vessels as required. The only thing better than having one spare is having three.

They should mount the 57mm on a plinth at HBL as a ceremonial gun for ships arriving, Fleet review etc, something like the 12 Pounders on the East Pier Battery in Dun Dun Laoghaire.

People of Cobh may take issue with that. The Main Gate is the place for it.

Reading the article below from a few days ago The navy doing i suppouse what you could call shift work could help numbers espcially when they set up a east coast base. Its good to see they are trying to do something different.

If they got there hands on some of the PRS apartment blocks in dublin to rent out at a cheaper rate it would also help get younger people to join. If you where single with no kids and where able to live in apartment subsidised it would help long term with your saving to buy a property

• Advertisement

Are the IPVs not going to be based out of Dublin?

On the wider accomadation issue for the overall Defence Forces Nationwide the government have said they are looking at the PRS model for housing

They've come to London. Would have gone yesterday if I'd known

Dun Laoghaire, rather than Dublin and so accommodation will need to be nearby, not just any old place anywhere in the wider City.

There are plans for an East Coast base. East Coast does not automatically mean dublin (though I know many in dublin believe nothing else exists outside the M50.) Wicklow, Arklow or Rosslare are equally viable, and probably far cheaper for find accommodation in. The M11 makes all of them readily accessable. If anything Dublin is the least suitable, being at the northern end of our territorial waters on the east coast, and having to contend with busy freight and passenger traffic to go anywhere.

They were literally at Canary wharf. Isn't that where you do most of your business these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Do the naval service work with the state research vessels , or irish lights vessel much ?

I've heard several times lately about the russian threats to cables and pipelines strategic to ireland lately ,

Usually these "threats" aren't in irish territorial waters , so we're not entitled to tell them to bugger off ..

And theyre often not militarized vessels either .. so shoot em ups unlikely..

I suppose what im asking is can the naval service request assistance, or use of state assets that'd be more suitable , for either operating underwater survey tools , or scanning pipelines ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Short answer, no. While the Irish Lights vessel may have crew that were formerly in the NS at one time, and it assisted in the recovery of the Coast Guard S92 that crashed in Blacksod bay, they don't operate together day to day at an official level.

If the NS wanted to use the State's research vessels, it would have to book time, and pay the bill, same as anyone else who uses it for their research.

And given how the research projects can be planned long term before the actual research, I’m not sure the NS could just have a “at need” call on them. To me if we want to take that threat serious and dedicate resources to it, would not a purchase like the new MROS RFA hull make more sense?

• Advertisement

Has the annoucement of the Naval mission to the Med helped slow the down the resignation letters?

Advertisement