Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

Indeed, ireland is not so different, and if we are unable to learn from the absolute destruction the UK has made of itself over recent decades, shame on us; don't want to pick on absolute shitholes like Burnley, Bradford, Rotherham, Peterborough, Darlington, Oldham or any number of small cities and towns over there, but that is not a future I would like for this country.

And there are a great many absolute shitholes in Germany as well, all with one thing in common.

There is a difference between people from the EU availing of freedom of movement to take up employment (and not sit on the dole claiming housing benefits) and all others - and there is a legal path for the others who want to come here for employment.

Having said that, employers are abusing the system (50 coming from Philippines for NCT). We don't need non-EU workers for Supermacs or to stack shelves in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I honestly think there is a misunderstanding by many willfully or otherwise of what the asulym system is for.

Anyone can see this lad should clearly be refused, yet he's the media poster child.

Donnolly⁩s comments and multiple comments by journal "journalists" also make me think this.... It's a very very strange situation

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Whoever in the research team of Katie Hannons show decided to bring him and the South African lad on to try and show how hard migrants are having it here made a bad choice because instead of changing peoples mind about the issue its just annoyed them even more.

Probably not the result Katie and her lib friends in the D4 media wanted.

I understand it's as complex as building a viable human colony on Mars.

Fakaftakopf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So having a large ethnic minority population by itself makes a town a sheethole? Is that you Donald?

Really? Like the Irish in the 80s and 90s going illegally to the USA and Australia. Economic migrants. Our politicians lobbied relentlessly to legalise them-Donnelly and Morrison visa programs.

Yes, I want people coming in here to be vetted. I want them educated firmly in the rules and customs of the country. But they are not a group of rapists or sex fiends. Untold damage has been done to the image of this state and the parish of Kilmaley.

Without a shadow of a doubt there is an element of unbridled racism there; I talked to the protestors and newspaper reports of comments by locals there clearly evidenced this.

The other big problems are the lack of joined up thinking between government departments, and the demand that all accommodation be up to modern and contemporary standards. All that is required is a warm dry place to sleep and eat, cooking facilities and a shower/toilet block, and secutiry guards.

How you can condone a tractor driving up to one of the bungalows at night with full beams in the windows, and entering a bus, head-counting and videotaping these people is beyond me.

It is illegal, intimidatatory and vigilantism, and the assholes who did this need to be named, shamed and made to apologize.

Are there no part time jobs that could be offered locally to some of these migrants with helping out on the land?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

You can add Luton to that list as well as parts of London. Seen both change markedly. Not afraid of being called out as a racist for highlighting this either.

I'd challenge anyone here to visit these places and not assume our towns and cities will become the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

As an immigrant yourself, were your neighbours wary about you moving into their midst?

• Advertisement

You have a point but does it not depend on the government taking a firm line on education of migrants?

Mandatory civics classes with a focus on history and the constitution. Tough prison sentences on anyone engaging in criminality. No citizenship until excellent competence in English and passing of a detailed exam in Irish history, and no bringing of extended family to the country.

The actions in Inch are sinister and illegal.

We Irish are better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Yes. I was bullied mercilessly at school for around a year after we arrived. My eldest brother was too. It’s only to be expected when children who look and sound very different are just dropped into a school like that. I don’t believe it would happen now.

The neighbours were…unfriendly. Not a problem really. We’d come from a place where it was culturally inappropriate to be familiar with your neighbour unless you were friendly with them otherwise or they were family.

Sorry for your experiences.

Have you now adapted to Irish norms and made friendships with people, despite not knowing them>

If your happy for your very elderly granny living alone quite independently and peacefully to be suddenly blessed with a crowd of young men with nothing to do all day plonked right on her doorstep then…good for you! You just tell her that she has absolutely nothing to be worried about. These young non working migrant men never cause any trouble in any community they ever migrate too….

There’s absolutely no reason for anyone to be “sorry” for anything. It’s perfectly natural for long long established homogenous communities to be hostile to interlopers being foisted on them. There would still be an issue with us being “blow ins” and not really from around here. But that’s because that’s what we are. It’s the same all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

Our social services structure is absymal. The UK are decades ahead of us and have been unable to control ghettoisation in many areas.

I would be astounded if we were able to manage this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

Untold damage has been done to the image of this state after last weeks protests - hilarious! Bad week for the refugee industry eh - thoughts and prayers for them.

I posted a link from sweden last week and they are getting a good glimpse nowadays of the untold damage they did in 2015 by taking in so many refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"I have found @BlueSkyDreams to be reasonable to see another opinion and agree that regular people who are concerned about large numbers of refugees need to distance themselves from the extreme views and actions of right wing activists , to be listened to and believed"

But don't you see that part of the current problem is that it's the state and mainstream media who are lumping together "regular people who are concerned about large numbers of refugees" with "right wing activists". They are creating this connection. And possibly it will be self fulfilling if they are not careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Our government and its mandarins couldn't even manage to build a hospital never mind oversee the migration and integration of hundreds of thousands of people.

They just outsource the problem to the paid shills i.e the NGO sector and tell everyone else to suck it up.

That ain't gonna wash as access to services become more restricted and these protests are only gonna increase despite the allegations of racism and far-right which only entrenches and isolates protesters further.

The government have an option to call a halt to this (just like Denmark) but are ploughing on regardless.

This isn't gonna end well and we see further erosion of social cohesion as communities feel betrayed and abandoned.

Yes, Luton - visited 40 years ago as a young lad as I had family who emigrated there, but now an awful spot with massive issues, look at the recent riots in Leicester as well; meanwhile, I get called Donald (trump or duck, not sure) for pointing out the issues our neighbours have with this topic; the idea that Ireland can manage integration better than any other country is fantasy and it should not be right to denigrate and insult those who have their doubts about what is happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I agree and that's what I'm repeatedly seeing and hearing these days. When the Irish middle & rural classes are being affected, the government may wake up and it'll be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Would Luton or any other UK city have these problems if the "blow ins" were economically integrated to the same standards as the locals? That is achieved by equal education opportunities and equal access to the same jobs. For me, that's always the key. Difficult to achieve and often takes decades but it solves a lot of problems.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

Let’s flood the entire country (no town will miss out) with loads of economic / benefits migrants with no jobs for them and hope for the best. Almost all men , and from cultures which have been proven to be at odds with ours and who don’t mix. What could possibly go wrong ???

we have the stupidest politicians of any country in europe hands down I still have to pinch myself when I wake up that this isn’t all a bad dream

Because we have done such a great job of integrating our own domestic population over the last 50 years of economic growth since joining the EU, clearly we have no socially deprived areas and all our kids leave school with a decent education and are able to take up the employment opportunities offered by our strong economy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

How many EU citizens are on social welfare in this country?

Asylum seekers and refugees both have a right to work here, so no need for you to assume they are sitting back on the dole.

EU citizens are allowed to work here but have no right to remain here on benefit if not in employment;

Neither "asylum seekers" or "refugees" should have the right to work here, we are just encouraging economic migrants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

The Irish that went to America made their own way, got jobs and paid rent.

These lads are being handed accomodation, daily living expenses and full board.

Apples and Oranges.

I know plenty of Irish people who would love one of those houses in Magowna but these people have been parachuted into them.

You are talking absolute horseSh1t with you claim of untold damage to the state over Magowna. Show us where it has received international media coverage.

Well of course they should have the right to work, or maybe you would prefer that they can only get benefits, because it allows you to argue they should not be here?

I'm well aware of the rights of EU workers, how many EU citizens in benefits in this country?

How many Irish citizens are or have been on British social welfare for the last 60 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

What's your point?

Perfectly entitled to live, work and claim welfare there the same as British people who choose to live here.

Advertisement