Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Do you have visibility of how much electricity your Heat pump used over the last 12 months (or more)?

Do you the the option to charge the battery from the grid in the settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭pollocks

I have no idea how much it has consumed tbh Its in since 2006! All I know is that we used nearly 9000 night units last year. That was heat pump and washing machine / dishwasher running on night saver. we will be shifting those appliances to day/solar and continue to run the heat pump as is.

Its the sofar hybrid inverter and sofar battery and yes the option to charge over night is there although ill have to check out exactly how to do it when the time comes.

That’s an average of 24kwh units per night; that’s huge. Dishwasher and Washing machine maybe accounting for 3-5 kWh of that depending if your doing more than one cycle. So the other 19-20 kWh per night is heat pump?

Id try to get a handle on how much power the heat pump is consuming before making any decisions about solar / battery. Any menu on the heating controls that can export energy usage?

If that’s true; you’d wanna be careful moving to a smart meter as you will get a much shorter night time rate window. And you clearly have a lot of usage at night (over and beyond the stuff you’re gonna switch to daytime).

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

24khw night time usage would be about right and even more in a cold snap. You’re generating hot water as well as space heating.

it may very well be better to retain your day/night rate meter. Maximise your self usage now and bank your calculated fit for winter usage. You have to export a lot of units to build up a few hundred euro and that can be wiped out with one bill in winter if you end up on a higher night rate on a smart meter. Just an opinion based on my own experience.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,705 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

For me the D/N meter is still the best option. I've worked out the average bill to be ~€60 per month so that's what I've got the level pay set at to build up enough credit to last through winter

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

I think my worst day last winter was 30kWh for everything except the cars. So 24kWh just for the hest pump overnight does seem a bit steep, although in the realm of possibility (pollocks might live in a bigger house than me for example)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

try Resistive heating a tank over winter!! easy 30kwh a night and that just got the house started on the cold days.Stove took over the rest of the day.

These days.. a little boost at night from the solar heated tank is just lovely.

Was still half the price of oil though.

I agree; that’s why I flagged it initially. My house is currently very poorly insulated; and on the coldest days in Dec / Jan just gone I was using 10L of heating oil (I have a way of measuring this) That’s about 85kwh of heat needed. And with a heat pump getting a COP of 3-4 (say 3.5 to keep things fair) that’s 24.2 kWh of electricity needed to generate that heat. And that’s for a full 24 hours. Maybe it’s a massive poorly insulated house; maybe the money would be better spent on insulation.

Sorry I should clarify a bit. I use my heat pump to heat at night rate only and allow the heat dissipate throughout the day.

yes you use more units heating the mass to a temp to of 1-2 degrees more than if it were controlled completely by stats and using some day rate but you pay out less overall. This may change when the heating controlled allow integration with the solar

therefore when I say 27kw is ok I mean for your total heatpump usage for a day. When I reread I could see my brain got a head of my thumbs.

perhaps your saying 27kw is excessive if you have more heat pump units used up through the day also. I was referrring to total usage but at night.

Ah okay, I was trying to do the same trick last winter by heating up the downstairs to a high temp at night and setting it back to 19C during the day

Tbh, I'm not 100% convinced it worked as well as I'd hoped, I did see a greater percentage of night rate usage but my overall usage went up as well. So I think in the end it probably saved around 10% of my daytime usage max

• Advertisement

I still think an average of 27kwh per night (which is actually covering the full day) is still a lot (because I need less; and my houses insulation is a joke). The best efficiency with heat pumps is achieved when they are run “low and slow”; your doing the exact opposite :)

considering this is an average; I’m assuming winter days are much higher; and summer days could be almost 0?

We are getting off topic here (that’s not unusual) I’d love to know what your BER and M2 and do you have rads or underfloor; are all your rooms zoned?

im very interested as I know I’ll want a heat pump once I get my insulation sorted. It’s just I also know my current solar / battery setup isn’t gonna be able to keep up if I do.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Do you know what you need to heat your house? Could give an indication of what you could be using if you dropped a heatpump in now.

Although I'd choose giving up some efficiency for a cheaper electric rate, if you could get a cop of 3 on night rate vs a cop of 4 on day.

No the 27kwh would be November to March only. Very limited space heating outside of this.

while your correct in the low and slow statement a well heated slab keeps temp for us at 22 degrees in living area 20 in the kids bedrooms and 18 in our own with night units only. I’ve tried it both ways over a number of years and yes low and slow uses less kwh over a winter but costs more with a day/night meter because of the differential in unit cost.

load shifting and the solar will probably reduce usage further as it’ll allow me give a one hour boost mid afternoon next winter so that’ll be my next experiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

18kwh yesterday and similar last few days. 3kwp sw and 1kwp ne. chugging along nicely. The ne is doing 4kwh a day on average

Installer forecast 2300 a year for the 3kwp, looks like that will be achieved at least a month ahead of schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Mr Q

41.7kWh for me yesterday, the first day of the year to break 40.

4kW East and 4kW West.

Also broke the 2000kWh for the year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭silver_sky

21kWh today on a 4.5kWp SW system. Looks like i'll hit 1.5MWh for the year to date before the week is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

27kWh today for me in Cobh - 12 panels on a 3.3kW inverter. It got to 29.84kW a few days ago where there was less high cloud - so close to the 30.

Battery full and a very warm bathroom as we use every electron of excess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

In other words no one has a F clue 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

I’ve been getting about 30kWh per day the last few days, it’s a bit disappointing for a 8.1 Kwp system but because of a hill (and some trees) behind the house I miss a bit in the morning. Still waiting to break 40kwh in a day

it's a east west system 50%, 50%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Stinker today with 15kWh.

Firecast let me down big time. Was supposed to be OK so I trickled a bit of juice into the car this morning.

Now I'm at 50% and will be a squeeze to make it til morning without import.

• Advertisement

I'll have to join the monthly updates soon but did a meter reading today to see how things are going for May

Day import: 19kWh

Night import: 106kWh

Cost of electricity: €22 (at Flogas BWG rates)

Same month last year before getting solar

Day: 427kWh (95% reduction)

Night: 383kWh (72% reduction)

Cost of electricity: €143 (at Energia 41% discount rate before October 2022 price increases, 85% reduction)

Yeah this is awesome, best investment ever 😁

Very bad the last few days and missing the forecast by a lot. 7kWh today (vs 14kWh forecasted) and 12kWh yesterday (vs 20kWh forecasted).

Quite a lot of cloud cover. Peak today was just over 1kW, on a 4.5kW system.

Yesterday in tullamore (7.47 SE) 20kwh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The sun has just made a much needed appearance in Fingal. Was in danger of having to break my off-grid month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Looks like a good week ahead though.....30Kwh forecasted for today, 33 Kwh tomorrow and 32Kwh on Weds.....at the moment. These things change of course.

Bright sunshine for the rest of the week in Dublin with Friday looking like the best of it.

Yesterday was a washout. Forecast to hit over 50 two days in a row in tullamore this week:

Not sure how 0kWh from the grid is possible. Are you exporting a small bit 24/7?

Outside of EV & Night rate I'm at about 8kWh so far for the month. Overall 88% is at the EV rate on my Energia plan.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Reaction time import excepted. Inverter has been in Self-use or feed-in priority mode all month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,083 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Same here, almost 100% off grid except for balancing/reaction time, and then some night rate when I have to do two 0-100% car charges two nights in a row. Otherwise even the car charging is off grid.

Advertisement