Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Cracking match between two good teams. I thought La Rochelle deserved it. They fought back from conceding two early tries and dominated the breakdown, keeping Leinster under constant pressure.

Ross Byrne's two kicks from wide out hitting the post was the difference in the end but no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

It doesn't help when your coach is one of the "small margins" "got unlucky" head in the sanders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

All the more reason to play them the week before the final so?

I'll probably stay off here and avoid any coverage for a while, so hurling some thoughts into the void (based on being at the ground, I will never watch any of that again):

Overall I think the better team won. Leinster were under relentless pressure for nearly the entire second half. I don't know what the hell happened to our exits but they were a total disaster and it's a bit of a miracle we kept them out for so long.

Ryan going off was a disaster. He's the most physical player in the pack by a mile.

The two conversions missed were obviously crucial, and Leinster still had every chance to win until the red card.

That's two finals lost in two seasons by an aggregate score of 4 points. That's the margin between being the best team in the history of the comp, and chokers or whatever the narrative will be this week. Less than one try, over two seasons.

That's two finals lost in two seasons by an aggregate score of 4 points. That's the margin between being the best team in the history of the comp, and chokers or whatever the narrative will be this week. Less than one try, over two seasons.

The only thing that kept that game tight yesterday was La Rochelle's wastefulness. For 60 minutes there was only one team in that game. That's what pisses me off the most about Leo coming out and saying "it was so close". When in reality, Leinster were comprehensively outplayed for the vast majority of that game. If we'd managed to snatch it at the end it would have been a robbery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Would it have been robbery after the start Leinster had. Scoring three tries is not robbery. Perhaps they could have got another one in that period. That incorrect knock on against JGP took momentum away in that opening period as well as some sloppiness from Leinster close to the line.

La Rochelle were dominant for the majority of the game. So yes. The better team would have lost if Leinster scored at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

It does raise questions about the whole approach. We take it for granted that ‘managing minutes’ in the way the IRFU has been doing is a positive, and certainly in the case of sexton it’s probably extended his career, but has it delivered success? Farrell probably loves it because he can be sure many of his players only play a small number of club matches so are less likely to be injured or flogged. At the same time given how far ahead Leinster are I’m not sure where genuinely competitive matches are to be found outside the knockouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

So after the emotional crushing yesterday and trying to console a heartbroken 8 year old, I’m trying to see were do Leinster go from here?

Ryan going off was a killer blow not only in the physical stakes but leadership too. Very disappointed with the remaining leaders in the team yesterday.

Jenkins was terrible, it was said last year and the previous years we needed a monster second row and they still do. Jenkins isn’t the answer, how long is his deal. Is there any hope of getting someone after the World Cup?

Worried about tighthead now as Furlong looks wrecked all the time now.

Then on the 10 spot which is a massive concern. Ross Byrne is a decent URC player but will never be able to steer that team to a final win. Prendergast has to be given game now but also be allowed to develop, work on his game and build muscle.

I hadn't seen what happened to Ryan, puts in this huge hit (saw that obviously) but then looks like he takes an accidental knee from the La Rochelle player who takes the offload?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If Leinster are to win these finals again and beat a La Rochelle, they need to find some way some way of disrupting the oppositions possession. Their strategy in defence has always been to commit the bare minimum of players to the ruck so they can have as many as possible in the defensive line. Then they go through the next defensive phase and repeat until the attacking side makes a mistake.

Leinster defensed brilliantly for much of that game, but you can't keep constantly making hits and expect to keep La Rochelle out indefinitely. They're too good at playing error free, possession based rugby. I don't know if that means flooding the breakdown with more players to attempt a counter ruck, or giving your players more license to go for the turnover.

And you simply have to contest the lineout. Leinster opted to keep everyone on the ground to set their maul defense immediately, but it didn't work. La Rochelle made huge metres almost every time. Once or twice Leinster held them up, but in general it was free possession and territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Serious doubt over ALA'ALATOA's future with the club. He has to go, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Why? Because he's guilty of desperation to protect possession and with it Leinster's chances of getting a score? These things can happen.

I do wonder if Healy would be a better option if he switched fulltime to tighthead. Does he have another year in him?

Alaalatoa's clear out was deservedly punished with a red card. But it's not something to hold over his head as a sackable offence.

I do think questions need to be asked of our second rows bar Ryan. He was the only lock who looked a match to what Ka Rochelle were bringing. He was incredible for the time he was on the pitch.

Molony tried hard, but he's simply not at the level required in the physicality stakes. Jenkins started the season well and had some impressive showings early on, but he was very poor yesterday. First thing I saw he do was get caught too close to a ruck and leave space wider. Never made a proper dent in defence either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

What a ludicrous statement. Should POM have been banished for the red against Wales last year?

It was a clearout like multiple similar ones you see in every game nowadays. Just a reflection of where the game is now.

You are right. Very fine margin between a great clear-out and a yellow/red card offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Ridiculous post. It was a red card but if you were to have that attitude for all players then you wouldnt be able to contract any person to play. It was a mis executed clear out that got a deserved punishment but questioning his future with the province as a result. no.

It's a shame that Joe McCarthy was injured for so long this season. I think he has the athletic profile and technique required to excel at the top end of the game. Probably wouldn't have taken part in yesterday's final, but we need to have him as a central part of our plans going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭LostArt

I'd question his future because I don't think he's a particularly good scrummager rather than the red card

Might have been a mistake not including him. He looked very good coming on against Munster last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Some strange takes going on here.

Blaming the lack of a sports psychologist when they went and got the one who worked with the all conquering Dublin side. It comes down to the players as much as what someone is doing to prepare them.

The idea Leo doesn't care because of his interviews is another strange take, he carries these losses deeper than any fans.

Hard to condense why we lost into any simple narrative.

Don't want to blame an individual but I thought Gibson park made a number of key errors at key times.

Lancaster time here is inevitably coloured by that result. I hope similar to england and the way he laid foundations for Eddie Jones to be successful are repeated for Leinster under neienabar

I think URC doesn't start until after the World Cup, but I imagine that none of our players coming back from France will play the opening 3 or 4 league fixtures. That's an opportunity to field younger players for the first test to see if they're ready.

In such circumstances we simply have to give as many opportunities to our props to develop depth there. Furlong's injury issues are mounting and whilst Porter is a world class player, it's ludicrous that he plays 65+ minutes every game. I hope the rumours of Jack Boyle leaving aren't true. If he's as good as some think he'll be then we'll need him sooner rather than later.

Also, Jamie Osborne and Joe McCarthy are the future of Leinster. Both are in their early 20's and already fabulously skilled. Injury curtailed their involvement this season and probably means they won't be involved in the World Cup squad. They need to play as much as possible next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

That's Lancaster's strength - building a squad that has depth and quality. I'd say he leaves them more primed for success than Josef Schmidt left Leinster.

It's just very curious how his England and Leinster teams have continually just missed out on 6N and European Cup glory (2018 aside). There's a sports science study in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

We nearly won the game at the end there if we had cooler heads. And if we did there'd be no end to the praise for how well these players have done over the past 12 months and how great their winning mentality is.

If Ireland win the world cup people will refer to this game, and if we lose the world cup people will refer to this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Agree. I hope that H Bryne and Prendergast are given a lot of time next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ross Molony is fantastic and a competitor. The fact is, he's undersized to be competing against the biggest teams. Especially with Ryan going off. Molony is similar in size to Alan O'Connor. He's about 108 kg's.

The pool of locks at Leinster is good. There's athletic lighter locks that are great at the URC level. Ryan Baied is a very good athlete. Hes just not a complete lock and he's not powerful. Jenkins rode in the passenger seat yesterday. Shockingly poor. Joe McCarthy is a lad that could get to the type of player we need. 119 kgs and athletic with power. I'd be putting him into the spotlight and see where he goes. Deeny to me is a younger, slightly bigger Molony. He's about a stone heavier and is listed at 1:99 meters. The more experience he gets the better he'll be.

Not saying that these lads be thrown in the deep end. But after this week's match, Jenkins shouldn't be in the squad weekly. He needs to earn his place and yesterday he was awful.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea, it was a total accident. He tackled a player, and fell into the knee of the LAR player who caught the ball.

Ross Byrne taking a lot of heat! Deservedly so. But he did a lot of defending in this match and was probably gee eyed tired. His body was probably running on fumes the last 10 minutes. He should have called for the dg.

He's a very good player and is rightly in the national set up. I doubt he's going to be the future 10. I reckon he's a good shout for the 22 shirt. In a couple of years I think Crowley will be our 10. Possibly HB will be involved too.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If Lancaster’s time is coloured I think you have to say the same about Cullen.

1 European cup in his time. Is this a good return, given the squad available?

The league, pre-SA teams, was a joke. A cake walk. Since the SA teams arrived, Leinster haven’t won it ( though admittedly, only 2 seasons).

The team selection last week cost Leinster their best chance at a trophy this year.

Leinster panic in high pressure games when things don’t go perfectly to plan. Like yesterday was immense pressure from LAR, but there were also key unforced errors. These same players don’t do this when they are playing in a green jersey.

I think there is an argument that Cullen may have taken Leinster as far as he can. Obviously he has transformed the club from the MOC days.

On the other hand, the Nienaber arrival may provide the missing piece of the jigsaw.

• Advertisement

Leinster were physically beaten up. You can't say it any other way. What's worrying is Furlong . He's not been himself. It would be catastrophic for Ireland if he doesn't get back to his game.

Leinster came up against a better team. We were outplayed and it's very simple to see that without JR the pack was struggling. There's always next year!

Advertisement