Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster V Stade Rochelais. Champions Cup Final. Sat May 20, 16:45. Aviva Stadium, Dublin.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Given the questionable residency rules and how ireland have benefited from it id argue that test teams can open the cheque book.

JGP, jared payne,Bundee Ali, Hansen, bealham, lowe etc.

Ironic to accuse rochelle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

There's nothing questionable about the residency rules, they're the rules as set by WR and Irish teams have followed them. Big difference in a player who was discarded by a country getting a contract and a team buying in active internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭Gusser09

If the provinces didnt have the money to pay them then they wouldnt be playing for Ireland. Wrc do set the rules. Questionable though for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Not questionable at all though. You cant just limit qualification to birth/parents alone and btw several of examples you had - Hansen, Bealham qualified because parents or grandparents are irish born

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Haha rivalry has and always will be part of sport. New age shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

As an outsider....

Leinster have it too easy. They have the pick of most players coming into the system, are able to afford the best lads coming into the system, access to the best coaches coming into the system. Add to that, a domestic League that is in no way taxing, an easy schedule, that protects and cossets them. Plus a fawning media and marketing hat makes adequate performance seem like magnificent achievement.

That's fine to a point, but come the big games they will come up against a battle hardened French or English outfit used to playing tight, need to win games, and it's alien to them.

It'll happen to the international team in November too, wait and see. The much vaunted IRFU player protection system is too easy on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Sport is funny.

Had Peyper blown for penalty in the last few minutes (god knows he had 4 or 5 opportunities), we'd be hailing a five-start Leinster edging out a thriller after a fantastic comeback by La Rochelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Agreed, you swear with some people it was the Belgrade derby or something. Ive always found elements of th rivalry to be pathetic given I remember when the provinces or rugby generally didn't matter at all it's not that long ago and so many play together in green.

Its cringeworthy see some fellow Munster fans bathed in Leinster misery considering they've been their bitch for 13 years while there's still so much in Munsters house still to get in order. To truly get to get back to the same plane bragging wise, the calibre and volume of their own produced players needs to improve.

Signings, hand me downs from Leinster and the odd late bloomer won't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Where can I get the stats for this game?

I tried ESPN, but when you click rugby, then statistics you end up going arpound in circles.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭hawley

I wanted Leinster to win. Furlong looked like he was blowing after half an hour. Surprised that he's not back at full fitness yet. He was way off the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

In fairness I think their system earns the pick of the players bit...although much of that credit should go to those paying the school fees.

When they won the first 3, keys signings were a big part of the success ...when Toulon and Sarries came round it looked like they were really up against it ever winning it again, they have gotten back to a situation that they should have won 2 more.

Foreign signings used be key to keep the show on the road while Irish players were gone, now they barely need them in the urc...might have come in handy yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Yesterday they had Gibson Park, Lowe, Ngatai, Jenkins, Ala'alatoa. that 5 foreign signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

So you struggle to understand why some Munster fans might feel like that and yet in the next paragraph you describe Munster as being Leinster's "bitch". Yes, it really is a head scratcher...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: Tone down the "they've been their bitch" rhetoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Leinster were entirely bossed and bullied the entire 2nd half.....

La Rochelle would have been robbed if Peyper blew for a penalty towards the end....

Peyper actually had a good game....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

What are ya **** on Connacht for? We have nothing to do with this!

Sincerely

Connacht fans

(This was in response to a Leinster fan, saying Munster were worse than Connacht...... Which I failed to quote properly!)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Signings and Leinster hand me downs is a bit rich. Leinster have more NIQs in the squad than Munster. Actually looking at the Leinster 15 that finished the game, three New Zealanders, an Australian, a South African. So much for 'production line' which is merely a myth concocted by the D4 media brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Neither of those two points are correct. La Rochelle would no more have been robbed that Leinster were last year. Peyper most assuredly did not have a good game. He was predictably shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Sorry, correction. Three new Zealanders and a South African. Allatoa didn't finish the game for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Been a while since I've seen the D4 meeja lie put forward.

Glad to see it's not dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭amacca

I like the sport but I'm no expert...I was at the quarter and semi finals and tbh I thought Leinster won very easy in both games....it appeared to me they destroyed both teams they were up against and cruised to victory.

That can't be good prep for a final where its more of a level playing field...it rarely results in success in other sports I watch for the team that coasts there, the winning finalist is usually battle hardened by the time they get to the final and if they are not they only win if they are very superior to the opposition.

Couple that with streaking into an early lead and putting scores up easily like previous games might mean it's hard to get into the mindset you need to be in when you are really under the cosh, like they were in the second half where they got dominated ...not something they are used to dealing with so therefore something its hard to react to and fight against, Id wager the elation of those 3 early scores and the gradual tightening of the screw and momentum shift that came afterwards would be hard for any team that didn't have to fight and claw their way there to adjust to and overcome.

Just my thesis.....tear it apart at your convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

I think yesterday proved conclusively that Jenkins is no Brad Thorne. Leinster need to cut him loose, open the chequebook and get a seriously heavyweight top class SR. Unfortunately, skillful player that he is, Moloney simply lacks the raw power needed at the top levels. They could do with a proper outhalf too while they're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Leinster bottled it yesterday, they had the opportunity to go for drop goal towards the end, but, hadn't the courage to go for it. Going for a try at that late stage was madness, had they taken a drop goal, they would have only had to hold out for a minute or too. La Rochelle deserved it showed huge character to come back for a poor start and completely dominated the second half. I think Cullen has taken this Leinster team as far as he can, has been a great servant for Leinster and Irish rugby but, Leinster need a change of coach to get them over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Whatever about the drop goal why didn't Ross Byrne take the sideline penalty kick at goal with just a few minutes left? It was within the La Rochelle half and surely someone with a reputation as a placekicking sharpshooter should have a relatively high historical kicking percentage from such positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

He missed two conversions albeit from difficult positions perhaps he wasnt feeling confident. I cant see why leinster didnt want to run with the ball at all in the second half, were they just knackered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

LOL. Do you think anyone on the planet needed to see proof that Jenkins is no Brad Thorne?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Starts off immediately with a dig.

Brendan Gallagher has an axe to grind and isn't worth listening to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Yea, if taking out the chequebook just means spending alot currently on players then that is also the irfu/leinster.

Advertisement