Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylor vs Cameron

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes. Saw those odds mentioned. Insane. Cully has beaten nobody. And every time he steps up (if he continues on) he will get banjoed. There is no fixing some things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭hawaii501

He didnt just lose, he was pucked around for all of rd 3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,091 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Ah God help her and may the Lord forgive her opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cully had no business in there. Mauled.

Wonder whats next for Katie. Shes 37 in a few weeks. Rematch and retirement?

I mentioned already, rematch in my view would likely see another loss. She and her team hardly want that on home soil.

Serrano a tough rematch as well, but she has better chance (size and style wise) to beat Serrano. Cameron be a tougher ask.

• Advertisement

Yeah think she loses again but she can't not do it? Have to try avenge those defeats. One more and done either way I reckon. The undefeated record was huge for Katie so not sure what the motivation to keep fighting would be now.

Her entrance was weird. Red flags all oer the place there.

Awful night for Irish boxing anyway. Both in terms of the fighters and the promotional side of it.

Yes, I get the desire to avenge, but sometimes the manner of a defeat is telling.

Katie fought superbly, but she was clearly dominated I felt. Avenging that may be a step too far, and a bit of a silly step.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

She’s not retiring

Her motivation is her love of fighting, even aside from the money

She’s obsessed with boxing and isn’t going away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dasdog

Had it much closer myself but I was at the back with tinted glasses on surrounded by what reminded me of a West Dublin nightclub in 1993. Young wans knew every song. If Real2Real "I like to move it, move it" came on they would have known every word. Disappointing but enjoyable.

Security was a token gesture. I set off the metal detector with a hip flask of rum stuffed down my jocks and was ushered through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Seadin

Katie isn't beating Cameron. I don't know what Katie can do if a rematch occurs? Camerons too strong for Katie no matter if Katie comes back fighting for a win she isn't going to beat Cameron. Sometimes that's just life. Katie was close but still was second best all night. Only way I see Katie winning is putting in massive pace and try and batter Cameron's face early like the later rounds and not give up. She can't start slow or it's curtains.

I think Katie is technically a better boxer than Cameron but she doesn't have the power pace and strength to match Cameron right now.

• Advertisement

Well its about damage aswell. 23 fights in 7 years takes its toll. I thought it was obvious last night that shes lost a touch of speed. Not sure what she can achieve continuing aged 37. Can't beat the clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

I agree 100%.

She's obsessed with boxing and the idea of retiring probably won't even enter her head.

i've often said that I don't know what she'll do with herself once her career does end. What does she focus on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I’m kinda saying it from first hand info in fairness, so it isn’t just my opinion admittedly - but it’s definitely the case she isn’t going anywhere. She loves it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

There judge who give it 95/95 should have serious questions asked of them, Taylor didn't win 5 rounds,3, maybe 4(at a push),97/93 was what most people had it. I think Katie should go back to soccer at make a late burst for the world cup squad (joke)

Ah ok. Just hope she doesn't hang around too long.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that she will retire. Folks suggesting that maybe she should. I know she loves the sport, and very unlikely she retires on a loss.

Anyway, probably 2-3 fights left and after these is where she will be thinking of calling it a day. Yea, she loves boxing, but so do plenty others who end up calling it a day. Be no different for Katie. Life goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

I clearly don't know **** about boxing I had Cameron winning 8 or 9 rounds. Couldn't believe a judge gave it a draw

Some rds close, but I agree, Cameron got minimum 6, and could have gotten 8

Yeah I thought Katie boxed brilliant last night but Cameron was bigger and stronger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

His opponent while far from a world beater is clearly not a mug. He went the distance with Sandor Martin in his last fight and has 30 wins by KO, obviously a lot of those were against rubbish but not like all Cully victims were that much better.

Hearn totally underestimated him as he would not have got the fight if they felt he had a chance v Cully who probably was buying his own hype and took the eye of the ball.

Cully is young, but that was a proper beating and he looked so open, not sure how he comes back from that unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The depressing thing if we get the rematch I will obviously cheer her on, but even if she wins I will worry like many that she will think

"I may as well fight another elite opponent and make more money", this will all catch up on her sadly.

Katie does not have Tyson Fury money obviously , but she should be comfortable enough and she does not come across as someone who would be dumb with money. Heck if she wanted a payday I would nearly prefer her to take some gimmick fight with some UFC/Bellator fight which would have much less risk.

I’d be very confident that money, although nice to her, is not her driving factor. She would be very comfortable financially at this point. She just loves and lives competitive boxing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,994 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Very different from mens boxing, it seems to be a case of just standing there with both punching their faces off, maybe it's because women don't have the KO power, so they can do that. But isn't boxing about stick and move, hit and not get hit, that is the art of boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,994 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If bout was judged on faces, Cameron loses, she took a lot of blows,so badly beaten,, Kaite not a mark, but lost her hair band, so weird.

Boxing is not about any one particular thing. Ideally hit and don’t get hit would be brilliant for everyone, but of course, it can’t be like that.

Katie is a boxer/mover, but again, there are times when you also have to think hard about what you need to do to win. And boxers have to be able to adapt and do a bit of everything to win. Sometimes that includes getting out of your comfort zone and digging deep and taking risks and taking punishment.

I hear it a lot: boxer should not have done this, that or the other and should have stuck to their plan n all that. Boxing doesn’t always allow you to stick to your plans.

There have been many times where Katie has went to war and slugged it out, and these decisions were reasons why she actually won; as the trying to be cute and slick and hit and don’t get hit wasn’t really working. Also, other times she had no choice but to go to war, as some of her opponents did not allow her just stick and move…

Her biggest win V Serrano was actually won in the trenches. Yes, her movement and sticking and not getting tagged worked, but she also had to, and needed to go to war.

Yep:

A punch or two can badly mark a face. Seen many fights where a clear winner was bruised and marked and the loser not. Lot of this is just down to physiology. Some boxers mark up very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I think the 10 x 2 minute rounds has a lot to do with this.

• Advertisement

2 or 3 mins the women just don’t generate near the power in their punches..

Advertisement