Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to Advertising on the site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

r/Ireland is infinitely better than this shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ Cup

The advertisement is covering the other advertisement..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BackAgainMaybe

Everytime I log on to boards for the first time in a while, that first pop up always opens the advert when you click the 'X'... Every time when it's the first time. (on android)

Scammy as feck and I'm sure it's designed that way.

Every other time after that in that session it doesn't open the advert when you click the X.

I've been on boards for years, I was a mod for while, I closed my account a few years ago.

I came back to help someone on a random post.

I probably won't be around much longer if the ads stay the same.

By trying to save the site, you are actually killing it off. It's a shame to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Thanks - it does seems to help a little on Safari on IOS - catches a few more than AddBlocker Pro

- adverts still there but don't keep popping up covering half of screen like a 1990s visit to geocities

..But doesn't appear to do anything at all for Chrome on IOS :( I've always preferred Chrome over Safari

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭usernameunknown

Deleting the account. It’s unusable with adverts popping up constantly from the bottom of the screen into view. I have noticed for a while now that even when you disable cookies and trackers that free now still shows up and for a while even when you clicked disable button and then tried to click accept selection or whatever it says the button below to accept all is actually clicked. Dodgy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

So is this how it all ends?

Over fcking ads...

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

This new site is crap, but the constant ads are making user experience even worse, which is an impressive feat. The ads on the lower third of my iPhone screen every time I click on a page is driving me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seriously folks. Just download Brave and use it just for Boards.

It's fixed everything for me (android). I even have a shortcut to boards on home screen. One click and I'm in with no adds.

Honestly, I don't want boards to die.

Just do this, it only takes a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Seriously folks. Just download Brave and use it just for Boards.

This worked a charm. Would also recommend.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

The adverts on the bottom of the site are making it impossible to navigate even blocking usability - on android phone. Its BS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

That won't save boards though - the site needs a critical mass of users to survive. Brave might make the user experience more tolerable, but many more are not willing or able to go to the effort of installing a browser just to mask the incompetence of those who run this place and will just leave the site. It might look ok for you but with fewer and fewer posters the site will continue its downward spiral. Even writing this post I am thinking fcuk this as an ad keeps popping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If that's the only solution then boards is dead. If your business model is either forcing people to use ad blocking browsers or simply stop using the site, then how can the business keep going?

It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

My entire screen taken up with ads. Click on the 'x' and im brought to the advetisers website.

Came in to look at the football and United forum. Couldnt be arsed now. Interface and usability is horrible

If Boards shut down id be a little sad but no one to lame but themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Perhaps it won't save boards.

But, if people wish to stay on Boards for now, rather than complain about the ads, just download the browser. It is an option, rather than just leaving or enduring the ads. It seems rather stubborn not to.

It doesn't take away from the fact that Boards seems to be in self destruct mode. It can't be easy for what staff remain to be dealing with this shltshow!

If people just did this simple step, it might stem the hemorrhaging of users that appears to be going on. Perhaps a stopgap while boards rethinks stuff and comes up with a survival plan.

It isn't difficult or very time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'm forcing myself to wait until tomorrow to see if there's a response before I do anything.

It's getting worse now as and ad tries to pop up every few seconds as I'm typing and covers the comment box so I either have to scroll or type blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,832 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks for the Brave recommendation. No ads and a proper dark mode!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I made the move to brave it's a world of difference. Dark mode and no ads here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The cynic in me is beginning to suspect this is deliberate in order to artificially inflate their click-through rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Moving to brave means email notifications wont work - as they launch the default browser.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

How so?

Default browser remain and can be used or...

Settings>>Apps>> select Choose default apps (android, similar for apple)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I'm angry, but same time i am somewhat thankful

This is the only site that require heavy DIY customization to make it usable/readable. Thanks to boards.ie ( some users here in particular ) i learned "how-to" and now can apply it here and elsewhere.

Still remember how it looked before it went to sh1t...

vs vanilla now... what a waste and pain on eye

vs my custom

Desk, FF, no ad's

Feel for mobile users...

I'd say better to complain and point out how incompetent this is. Clearly someone has approved this and thought it was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's the same question I ask every time there is a significant change to the site that goes tits up...

How did nobody test it first?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Used to be super easy to use. Functional, easy on the eye, easy to dip in and out. But management made a complete and utter balls of the 'update' or 'upgrade' and it's frankly a horrible looking and horribly to use piece of crap.

It's felt for a long while now that the end of boards is nigh, and shite like the new ads are the final nails in the coffin. My only hope is that they at least offer the site and its archive up for sale to someone or an organisation who can rescue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I know I'm not the only dev on here and I've asked myself that question countless time since the upgrade. I think the answer is that they don't have a test site at all. All changes go straight to prod. And it shows.

Even still - it has been pointed out a few times in this thread how unusable this is, going back weeks. And they still can't fix it. That is equally worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No, I get that. I was just responding to the lack of testing. The last response by Mike was last Wednesday. Even if they don't have an update it wouldn't kill them to let users know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd love to know what the financial picture is tbh.

Everything under taken over the last two years has been a cost cutting excercise.

Apart from a few comments in this thread there's been radio silence from boards. I'm not blaming the employee themselves - feels like a very thankless task. But all the while people are queueing up here talking about how broken the site is from a user's perspective, along with screenshots showing how utterly comically bad the UX is at the moment.

It makes me wonder is boards actually done? Is the financial picture so grave that keeping these crap and irritating ads going is worth more than having a userbase in a meaningful sense.

I'm certainly no expert on development but I have worked a bit in IT and in my experience even minor changes to sites are supposed to be QA'ed before they go live. Something that is such a pile of crap as this current ad set up here would never be allowed fly . It's truly a bizarre set-up, unless it's actually intentional. There's no way anyone in their right mind could have okayed this. And considering it seems to be taking so long to be rectified, it makes me think that boards isn't a big priority for whoever they've outsourced the work too - which makes me wonder again about the financial situation of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

Yeah, the radio silence is the most worrying bit. I agree on the financials. This has all the appearance of something that could fold at any moment, and God knows I've seen enough of those to recognize the signs even in totally different fields.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I love Boards and hope it survives as the little parts of the world I enjoy have some good discussions here (gaming, rugby, gigs) and have had for years, but the reality is that there a few core posters in most of the threads that I use that keep the threads going these days and if they're driven away by this godawful UI, these threads will dry up and die.

The fact that there are critical issues with this site that sit unfixed for days with complete radio silence is utterly bewildering and bizarre and would genuinely have you asking where the good governance is anymore. I've no doubt that the employees are doing their best but there is some serious sailing close to the sun that Boards (as an entity) is doing that if the site goes under, it will not be a surprise.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement