Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Hurling Classics

• 21-05-2023 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Incredible stuff yet again in the Munster Hurling Championship this afternoon.

Clare pipping Cork by a last minute point in a thiller in Ennis.

Limerick & Tipp then in a titanice battle finishing all square in front of 40,000 in Thurles.

Savage viewing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭supernova5

yes absolutely incredible stuff, I think we all felt that today's double header could be something very special and boy it did not disappoint, gonna take a lie down now...

There's an incredible imbalance in the hurling.

Munster championship is compulsive viewing. I'd love Kilkenny to be involved in such battles every season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Limerick v Cork next Sunday will be a big one for third place by the looks of things - will GAAGO get to choose this game ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i highly doubt it , there is no way rte will get away with showing the waterford tipperary game ,

most likly it will be the limerick v cork game , with the wexford v kilkenny game on at 2 , wexford lose they could be facing joe mcdonagh country

i dont agree , limerick have massivly regressed since last year , clare slightly improved thanks to a few additions , cork the same , tipperary back to normal after a shocking season under colm bonner , waterford miles away again

dublin lost by 6 points to kilkenny last night , clare lost by double that last year to the same opposition , wexford have regressed from last year which makes the gap bigger

the all ireland 1/4 final at one side of the draw is looking like limerick or cork v the loser of kilkenny or galway , at the moment i would be backing the leinster team to advance to the all ireland semi final and very possibly an all leinster final between galway and kilkenny

the games today were exciting but were not of huge standard ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

The imbalance is that there are 5 teams in Munster, all of whom have either won or reached All Ireland finals in the last 25 years and thus can be considered serious challengers, but only 2 from Leinster (one of which are Galway, Connacht). 5 of the top 7 teams are in one group- that’s imbalanced. Galway and Kilkenny will qualify from Leinster at a canter every year. That can not be said of any team in Munster.

in the last 25 or so years both offaly and wexford won all irelands in leinster and one is currently in the joe mcdonagh the other looks like they are heading in that direction , how ever if there was a play off between the bottom two teams of either group waterford could be down there

you will see just how strong munster is at all ireland semi final stage , only limerick who have been a generational team over the last 6 years or so could separate the two and were pushed all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

The Leinster championship is a hurling project. It's taken on multiple teams from different provinces with a long term goal of improving those counties. It's a service for hurling for a greater long-term goal.

The Leinster championship had been in decline for a long time. Kilkenny have 74 titles. Dublin are the nearest with 24. And they won it in 2013 for the first time since 1961. 52 years.

It badly needed new ideas and a new approach.

Galway's underage set up, more than winning needed games. They're getting lots of games now. You need games for players to really learn and to learn about players. Not to mention to grow coaches and managers. It might take ten years but with their budget, population, and new underage guarantee of a lot of games, they'll be a big beast in Leinster. What that means for the rest of the teams I don't know, we'll have to wait and see. That said, a huge moment for Westmeath recently. There's an over focus on Wexford rather than celebrating Westmeath imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I don't think Limerick have regressed massively. I think, Limerick, like a lot of teams, are on the verge of catching fire. I can see them hitting form again. But I think most teams are at that point in the season where it's make or break, it might be a great goal in a game or a bandy point to get over the line, but a few teams will catch fire soon and leave the rest behind.

• Advertisement

Another great game today between Limerick & Cork - for Cork to score 1-30 & lose cant have happened too often.

40,800 Full House. Great Colour both Green of Limerick & Red of Cork.

really good game again cork being involved in 3 epics in there last 3 games and out of the championship in may , hard to take i am sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Funny how you regard Limerick-Cork as an "epic" here but on another thread find "the space given up to Limerick-Cork unforgivable". Does this depend on your audience?

Limerick V Clare Munster Final

Tipperary third.

Advertisement