Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster V Stade Rochelais. Champions Cup Final. Sat May 20, 16:45. Aviva Stadium, Dublin.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Leinster do not play old school french offload run it back from your line rugby.

I’m not sure what the exact name of it would be but the core components of leinster rugby (this year at least) seem to be kicking it long instead of contestable and in play, being highly competitive in those first few phases when the other team run it back, then attacking off a turnover in that zone, or attacking off a penalty gained in that zone. They have amazing strike plays off lineouts and they also are incredibly efficient and detailed around the line when trying to score tries. Its a game plan to forces the other team into a box and most teams either lose the kicking battle or get blasted when they run it back and get into bad situations.

In terms of gameplan, Connacht are usually very similar I’d say with worse players.

LaRochelle are a bad match up because they are capable of receiving a long kick and then just holding it for a long time. Their whole tactical philosophy is based around that. They don’t need to get into kick battles with leinster (which most teams lose) and they can play the game on their own terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I completely agree and I've made that point before regarding Ireland at World Cups. I believe a huge reason why we consistently fail is because Irish players have so little experience in having to play seriously tough matches for consecutive weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Good thing this group won a tour in NZ and a Grand Slam then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Yea. Leinster just murdered the Tigers and Toulouse. Not difficult opposition at all.

A 5 game tournament with 2 rest weeks. Hardly comparable to a world cup schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Said fans are never gonna win ultimately a bragging match if we've consistently been 2nd fiddle for 13 years , so why bother.. it's pathetic...we ve to sort our own house out..schadenfreude will get us nowhere.

And ya inappropriate choice of word on my part sorry.

There was 3 weeks between those games, in which all the first 23 were rested. Can't do that at a world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

well the tough games of the world cup are a 5 game tournament with 1 rest week with the changes now. we play south africa on 23rd sept and then scotland on 7th oct before knock outs the 3 weekends after that.

the changes made make it far more comparable as between the warm up games and the 2 opening pool games we ideally will be more than ready for the important games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

It's a weird one, the ruck was such a mess that tidy ball for a drop goal wasn't a given, on the flip side the same sort of mess was the reason for the red card that ended the game. Also a drop goal would have left time on the clock and any return back to the Leinster half probably meant la Rochelle getting some sort of chance to win it..they were that dominant at that point.

I am sure it was on their mind how could it not be.. but they found themselves in the position where they were close to the line and too wide for a drop goal. I dunno did la Rochelle give up the wide channels purposely..don't think so. That whole passage was so frantic it's hard to imagine settling the situation down for a drop at goal, players were out of position everywhere simply cause the ball was never secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

About a minute before they got close to the line, there was an opportunity for a drop goal, they were in centre of pitch around the 22, so there was definitely a chance had they been brave enough to take it on. There would have been a minute or two left to hold on, but better to be defending a lead with time almost up than chasing it, was always going to be extremely difficult to score a try at that stage, maybe they were hoping to get a penalty in a kick able position, but, again the referee is less likely to give it at that stage of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭trevezel

nothing better than statistics to analyse the game :

Leinster were destroyed by La Rochelle, when you spend your time tackling and tackling, you spoil your energy...and you lose

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Only watched the game now. Last year all over. Terrible game management and non forced errors constantly letting la rochelle into leinster half. From the moment Ryan went off Leinster just lost their composure. .

all the talk of lessons learnt and made the exact same errors all over again.

They had the chance way before that. Off the lineout, got to dead centre on the 22. Pick and go and then set up the kick. A 30m drop goal is very makeable and if you miss you get it back.

Yes, that was the moment right there. JGP or Byrne didn’t even seem to consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

And they watched it seven days earlier from the stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭trevezel

i think the guys were exhausted and lost their lucidity... only 3 points in the second half, i can't believe that but credit to La Rochelle, they deserve the win

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

A lot of Leinster fans should just suck it up and stop trying to divert the narrative away from the fact that they were justifiably beaten by Rochelle and Munster when the stakes were high.

You need to have bottle when the going gets tough, Leinster didn’t have it in both big games.

With the narrative diverted to criticism of both referees, throwing patronising comments etc.,

it’s easy to see why supporters of other Irish teams aren’t putting their arms around the shoulders of Leinster supporters atm following these defeats.

I feel for the Leinster players but some of their supporters just need to stop whining on this discussion page, maybe start an alternative discussion page for whining Leinster supporters?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Dont Be at It

It summed Byrne up to a tee. Not up to it. Surely that's the kind of moment a young out half dreams about getting. 2 minutes left... A point down... Deep in the 22....

Yeah,its huge pressure but you have to step up. Not as if if it was 40m out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

The game is far far far far more physical now. A high intensity match between 1 - 4 people go for HIA's and there's nearly at one concussions. That's insane. Munster had four players missing for the semi, some because of consussion.

We need to be careful in our cozy ivory towers. I think the tournament organisers need to consider the fixture congestion at the end of season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Which clearly shows Doris should've won a penalty. A **** carbon copy from last year when Al'alatoa was denied one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Doris was unlucky there but equally VdF could have been penalised for interfering with the clearout. Peyper was very poor yesterday but I don't think he favoured one team in particular. He rode La Rochelle in the first forty and Leinster in the second forty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

All the 4 munster players missing for the Leinster game were because of Concussion.

All of those were due to dangerous tackles

Leinster and Glasgow are the 2 dirtiest teams in the URC in the way they hit high, come in from the side, and fly off their feet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

You’ll find the stats don’t back that opinion up, both teams yellow and red cards are not in the top 2 for the league. Dangerous hits generally get dealt with / caught by TMO these days.

Take a look at the stats for yourself before making ill informed unsubstantiated claims.

https://www.unitedrugby.com/statistics/2022-23

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

10 HIAs by players playing Glasgow in their last 3 knockout games.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Doesn’t prove anything, plenty of HIAs are a consequence of accidental collisions like the James Ryan one for example.

If they were 10 dangerous tackles that caused them then there would be lot more than 1 red card against them in the stats.

Or are you inferring the officials don’t bring their red cards to Glasgow games?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Some interesting tidbits in this article and in the comments from overseas...

Interesting quote about the La Rochelle setup:

"There's also been a lot of fake news and sneering about La Rochelle's 'model'. In fact, their owner is a local entrepreneur who played for their juniors and has steered them back after they've been relegated a couple of times to the 2nd division - they were languishing there as recently as 10 years ago. Their region is not a rugby stronghold like the deeper southwest, but they now sell out almost all of their home matches."

Insight into the La Rochelle dressing-room:

"O’Gara knew Leinster badly wanted a record-equalling fifth title but, regardless of their home-field advantage, he had other ideas. In the buildup he told his players to imagine they were setting out to climb Everest. Who, he asked them, would they most want to conquer it for? A parent, a loved one? In the team room a mat was laid out on the floor where people could place photos of their personal inspiration. The result? A team that never flinched, even when the blue whirlwind was at full intensity in the opening 40 minutes"

"While Leo Cullen is waving goodbye to the estimable Stuart Lancaster and welcoming the current Springbok coach, Jacques Nienaber, to his coaching staff, there have been too many narrow losses in big games, particularly with O’Gara in the other coaching box, for anybody’s comfort. “You can have data for everything but you don’t have data for character,” O’Gara said afterwards."

I find that last quote interesting given the sometimes sneering comments about 'pashun' on here by a few people. Leinster will have their day again no doubt, they're too well setup now to not be at or near the top table with great regularity... but I'd say they would have killed for a Muldoon or POM (or a Sexton!) out there at times, Ryan was a huge loss of leadership (and grunt) and the implosion on the pitch was worrying with such a lead at home on such a stage. I still can't fathom how Ross Byrne doesn't even try and take a drop, especially given how they lost the previous week.

A horrible way to lose, commiserations to the decent Leinster posters on here - ye'll be back no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Advertisement