Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct drill grass reseed

Options
  • 23-03-2023 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Im reseeding 40 acres for grazing in the next few weeks. It was sprayed off and is bare.

It has been chain harrowed.

Im hoping to direct drill it as i need a quick turnaround.

Can that be achieved and what have people experienced.

Ground im reseeding is tired, hungry permanent pasture. It will have 3k of slurry and 10/10/20 plus lime before sowing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭fulldnod

U need really growth weather to do it, if u don't get good weather all u will have is a field of weeds, I seen it both working well and terrible

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I reckon sow it twice, go across for the second run with a half rate of seed each time. It will take a long time for the rows to fill in. How far apart are the rows going to be on the drill you are thinking of using?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

Its an erth drill. I have used it before on a paddock that was tilled. The lines filled in, in a few months. Cross drilling is a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

Did it for years here with a moore, two runs half rate each run. Start one run on one headland and then other headland for second run if field is anyway square, so a diamond cross sow. Lime is very important with direct drilling so make sure get some on as it neutralises the dying grass, and go high seed rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

I know it’s a really tough year so far and fields are very poached. I’ve a good bit of stony ground if I ploughed it which I don’t want to. It’s it grass for 40 years plus. I was wondering if I grazed it tight and spread grass seeds and then roll, would it be a viable way of increasing density. I’ve been grazing it very hard for the last few years. I was wondering if I got a tine harrow with the seeder on top would it be a good job? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Yeah once you get a good bit of soil up for soil contact you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

I direct drilled 40 acres april 10th. It was post emergence sprayed a week ago. Start grazing soon.

Your better using the right machine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

If I wanted to stitch some new grass seed into old meadow, should we wait until after the second cut which would be after grass or could you stitch after the first cut for forage

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

After the second cut as you can keep it grazed then over the backend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Advertisement
Advertisement