Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭amacca

Any opinions on approx 3kw of panels (a little over)

Hybrid inverter

2.4kw battery

+ fitting, ancillary bits, etc

I have an oil boiler, for heating the house and power showers so it won't be heating water.

Coming in around 9,500 euros, thoughts? If I could afford it would it be a good move to go for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

Much better value out there, keep looking. Put that quote in to this calculator http://davidhunt.ie/solar/

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭amacca

Cheers, I'm very much a novice so wasn't sure. What would the main reputable companies working at this be?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭TerraSolis

Well - I did it. I harvested the data for all the quotes back to (and including the whole month of) February which had sufficiently clear info to yield the total price excl. grant, kWp capacity, battery capacity and if an EV charger or hot water diverter was included.

The results are surprisingly conclusive. The VAT cut IS being passed through.

I'll do a clearer type up and more detailed analysis if anyone is interested. On the off chance they aren't, I'm not spending any more time on this unless requested 😅

Post edited by TerraSolis on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

What's the latest rule of thumb?

5.5kw system in particular.

and same question for battery rule of thumb

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 12 staff1986

Hi all,

Got a quote for following:

16No. Jinko 420w tiger series totaling 6.72kW

Growatt min tl-ex 5kWh

Combined cost €9,900 before grant

I am ground mounting with screw in ground mounts at additional €2,400 ex VAT

No additional equipment

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks for your help

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭on_the_roots

Potential changes from a NC7 application would be in the private property or anything on ESB side?

I have a brand new house, fuse board with capacity for up to 80A, I don't think I would need anything if I go for a 10kw inverter, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Most 10kw inverters are 3 phase; do you 3 or single? You would be better off going with 2 x 6kw units.

If you’re only asking for 10kW it’s prob not going to cause a huge upgrade from ESB. But it all depends on how your local connection to the transformer is setup; and how many other properties it is serving and if any of them already have solar.

Single phase.

A couple of other estates nearby with those houses that have 3x or 4x panels to meet BEER ratings. As this is a new area I think it should have a well planned ESB infrastructure, but who knows...

I'm still evaluating the worthiness of going ~10kw total output via an uncertain NC7 or stay humble on ~6kw with NC6.

• Advertisement

If you have the space and the budget and the demand I’d go for it. I assume you’re running a heat pump? Have you been through a winter with it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭deezell

I love the idea of people sitting in their faux A rated new homes while their heatpumps devour €€ and kwh at multiples of the cost of the gas used to generate it (near 80% heat loss from gas turbine generation to the doorstep, and our daytime energy is still over 90% fossil). Meantime the measly 4 panels on the roof produce SFA energy in the grey winter afternoon, and the modestly insulated house has an A rating because of the roof ornaments, a pretend sealed air ventilation system, and a few internal door springs. My sons A rated house is burning gas as fast as his previous 80s rental, over €220 a month, though the rate is now only 14c/kw. I had to fabricate rockwool tubes to fill the massive 6" open wall vents in all the rooms to restrict the gale that whistled through the house everytime you opened an internal door, with their constant spring loaded banging shut. Virtually every owner has defeated these anyway as the noise and impracticality of the springs makes living a nightmare. Children literally can't move through the house without assistance. When I replaced his cheap mechanical wall stats with smart ones, the draught whistled in through the mounting plate hole in the wall plasterboard. I shudder to think what a Heatpump would gorge at peak rates when you actually need a bit of heat. What Green fantasist dreamed up this latest wool over the eyes conjob. The entire estate are freezing. A rated my A**e. At least they were spared heatpumps. Gas is clean, burn it in the home at 97% efficiency, round the clock same price. Preserve me from eco charlatans and their faked figures. BEER rating is right, it was always cheaper to stay warm by going to the pub.

Total annual consumption is ~6500kwh. No EV, 5B house, Samsung heat pump active 24/7 coming up any time the temperature drops 0.5ºC below target.

During Dec/Jan total consumption is ~900kwh/month with heating + water corresponding to ~550kwh of it. Spring/Summer months have total of ~300kwh/month on average (with only water heating on).

For those who think heat pump is to save money with heating, forget it. This is just a different type of energy on the end to be converted in heat (electricity instead of direct gas/oil/coal burning). The real gain is at the big picture as the country gradually increases its share of electricity generation from renewable sources.

Another advantage is not having an additional standing charge to be paid for gas accounts, which saves around €300.00/year on current prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭deezell

I'm at 280kwh/month all year round, heating/hw is oil and woodstove winter, oil in summer. Even with the stove I'd burn 240 litres a month in deep winter, that's 8l/day or around 80kwh of heat daily, which is light enough in a biggish bungalow, and there's almost none consumed between 10pm and 8am except on the coldest nights, as the residual house temperature of 21° maintains to about 17-18° overnight. All internal walls being concrete acts like a heat storage sink. The point being if I replaced oil with a heatpump, all my heating would be daytime, flat rate of 42c/kwh. Even if the heatpump Perla Polite Soapsuds or trebled the output, I'd be looking at 14-21c/kwh, compared to the oil at 8c at the moment, and during freezing weather when you'd use 40% more, the heatpump is unlikely to produce only the smallest cop factor.

Daytime rates are extortionate at the moment, and make no sense when you see rates well below 20c/kwh elsewhere in Europe. You're doing well to get away with 20kwh/day in winter by whatever multiplier your heaypump manages. 20kwh alone would barely heat two room of an average house for 10 hours, so I'd assume you're well insulated, sealed and draught resistant, which is critical to prevent a heatpump emptying your bank account.

Do not fit a heatpump in an older house, especially a rural single story detached. Spend the €20k on insulation, double glazing, sealed ventilation, even if you only get some of those half done, you'll have some savings to go to the next stage. Solar direct to HW for the brightest months should make sense, and did when you could mount a pair of thermal solar panels plumbed to your HW cylinder for a grand, but that day is gone, and it's hard to even find someone doing thermal anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

That seems like very high usage. The heating is obviously dependant on many variables but 300 p/m for water only? How many kWh does the 300 produce?

I would be questioning the performance to your installer. It may just need settings tweaked by someone that knows what their at. I personally had issues at the start cause I let temperatures drop too much. It had to work too hard to get back up which is what heat pump don't like doing. Better to get it to temp and keep it there. Unless your house is badly insulated, then of course prob shouldn't have a heat pump.

Family of 6 here. . 3 young kids so only 3 showering daily, but still it's only approx 65kwh p/m for water. House is 6 bed 200sqm recently renovated underfoor heating throughout.

Not sure if you got my previous comment. I said average 300Kwh/month, not €300.00/month during Spring/Summer. 🙂

House with 3 adults + 1 kid, everyone taking 2 showers/day and 2x of us WFH.

Other things to consider:

• There is a ventilation system that runs 24/7 consuming ~200mA constantly;
    • The heat pump, for some reason which I still didn't figure out, consumes ~500mA when idle. Yes, you read it right, when just sitting there producing zero heating,
    • I have also a surveillance system running 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Yes I understood your usage was 300kwh. But I thought that was for hot water only. . but that is total energy usage of whole house in spring/summer?? Maybe that's where I misunderstood

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Anyone had solar panels installed recently and seeing a delay with ESB Networks processing the paperwork so you start getting paid for units going back to the grid or in our case FIT).

My energy supplier, Flogas are blaming ESB Networks saying they have a roughly 6 week back log?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

5500e for 5.5kw

2700 for 5kw battery

ok?

😎

Get in touch with ESBN by phone or email networkservicesbureau@esb.ie or esbnetworks@esb.ie and make sure they received your NC6 form, if they have it there should be no delay on the FIT payment afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Ginger83

My system was installed end of February. I asked ESBN on April 4th about NC6 and they said that they were up to date with applications but had not received mine. It went out of my head but I followed up with the installer on May 16th and they said that they submitted my NC6 on May 8th but that ESBN had told them they were only as far as April 26th with applications.

Hope this helps.

I would follow up with ESB again to confirm that your application has indeed been received.

The installer did not submit the NC6 form 20 working days in advance of the install (which they are obliged to do). Technically you shouldn’t have the inverter hooked up to the grid until the 5th June if the NC6 was only submitted on the 8th May.

I would advise people here to get their installers to CC them on all communication to ESB networks; if doing it via email. Or get the installer to fill out the form and then post it yourself via registered post. Seems too common for installers to “forget” to send them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Ginger83

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Thanks, my installer has been a nightmare so I'm fully expecting them to have forgotten to send it in.

Useless shower of you know whats, wish we'd never gone with them.

Will call ESBN tomorrow.

Have you a link to the "20 working days in advance of the install (which they are obliged to do)" I can't find anything about it. It would be handy for people to know if that is the case.

Had a read of that but it say's "If ESB Networks determines that for a given Type-Test /Confirmation of Table 3 Settings certificates, further clarification or information is required, then ESB Networks shall: 1. Instruct the customer within 20 working days from receipt of both the Type-Test certification & Confirmation of Table 3 Settings, to refrain from installation or suspend installation and commissioning if already begun." Nothing I can see about giving ESBN 20 days notice with the NC6 prior to install.

The process is:

1. Send NC6.
    2. Wait 20 working days.
    3. If no correspondence received from ESBN proceed with install.

If you want to query it I’d say contact ESBN and they will clarify it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Ask installer for a copy of the confirmation email from ESB. Then you know it's submitted and you have the email trail. I did that when there was a delay from installer.

• Advertisement

Not trying to argue just trying to clarify your statement that you need to give ESBN 20 days notice before installation by submitting the NC6. I can't see that anywhere on the links. Lets just leave it and not derail the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement