Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

What a weird post. That’s not what I said. It’s just a reality of the current demographics. Over 90s represents the highest % of Protestants and lowest % of catholics. That shrinks year on year until catholics outnumber Protestants for the first time in the 35-39 age group. So it’s the different birthrate of the previous 90+ years that caused that. Condom use would have been much lower amongst catholic families for a lot of those preceding decades and poorer people usually had bigger families back in 50/60/70s etc. I doubt there’s any real difference nowadays in birthrates/family size but those from a catholic background have a larger share of the under 40 population so it’s hard to see much push back on that going forward. The unionist base shrinks year on year and will continue to do so, that was the point of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

If you are right, the the Unionist parties need to attract those Catholics as voters. Yet they are doing nothing to make themselves attractive to catholic, or neutral , voters. This time, by their own admission, they weren't even attracting their traditional voters who stayed away from the ballot.

Perhaps ,Downcow, you could suggest what the UUP or the DUP could do to improve how Catholics see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Time they got on with their white papers then. It’s not as if they haven’t been threatening it for 50 years

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

An Irish government has never threatened to do that downcow.

They seem to have no intention of seeking to woo anybody but Unionists going by this Unionist. He's looking for special electoral conditions for Unionist candidates bringing back memories of gerrymandering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Ian Paisley Jnr was on saying there needs to be one unionist party. No doubt he thinks it should be the DUP?? But what will this party view on protocol, gay marriage abortion, the irish language be? The reality is people there is a split in people from unionist backgrounds. Some are staunch some aren't so there will at least need to be two unionist parties in 2023. If there is only one staunch party like the DUP who say no to everthing then moderate unionist will end up not voting for them and the tolal unionist vote will fall.

What we are seeing with nationalism is that it has all or nearly all gone moderate so there only needs one party and SF are sweeping all that vote up. Untill unionism has the capability of going into the midle this wont happen. SF is looking to be the biggest party in NI for a long time to come as nationalism is unified whilst unionism is split.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Still think there are a fair number of catholics who would vote to remain within the UK if it came to the crunch .SF had a good election but I think by and large took the SDLP vote with a few exceptions .I certainly have met some Catholics up there thar are doing well but would not vote to join us .Also is most of the Alliance vote not really a Unionist vote just they are more inclusive about sharing power within the union .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is a pointless conversation to hold currently because nothing has been planned in terms if a transition period, medium or long term governance, role of the NI civil servants.

Until a plan is agreed, anyone who says they will or won't agree to a united Ireland is making a decision purely based on their own assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Very true just I heard a bit about border polls since yesterday and I think we a long way off that being successful yet .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The fraction of a vote only applies to a surplus in the first instance.

If a candidate gets 1.5 quotas, then the 0.5 quota is distributed to the second choice candidate for all votes cast for that candidate as one third of a vote. Once that transfer occurs, that fraction of a vote carries on.

The counting procedure I would envisage is as follows.

1. All ballots are tipped out in front of tellers (or observers) and sorted so that a clear sight of every ballot is allowed. The ballots are then stacked to be fed into a scanner where they are scanned any uncertain papers are viewed on a screen by a human. Any questions are brought to the attention of an observer and resolved. [Perhaps votes are not correctly numbered or the intention is unclear or illegible].
    2. The total votes cast, spoilt votes declared, and valid votes declared. Quota is then decided.
    3. At this point, no vote has been assigned to any candidate. Candidates or their representative agree votes cast is OK and accept that the count can proceed.
    4. Computer is fed the votes file and calculates the first preference votes for each candidates. If a candidate has reached the quota, they are elected, and surplus distributed to next preference. Otherwise, the lowest candidate is eliminated. Each round is declared, before moving to the next round, and so on until all seats are filled.
    5. There is no need to speed the process, as much as it is necessary to show it is fair and transparent.

The main requirement is that the paper ballots are accurately transferred to a computer file, with human assistance as necessary, and all candidates agree this is done in plain sight.

The key point is that the vote is checked that the paper ballot is exactly mirrored by the computer file. Once that is so, the algorithm in the program safely gives the results of the vote accurately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's very easy to get elected. 462 of those who stood got a seat, only 345 failed. Given the untold riches available to politicians, it surprises me how few go in for it.

Interesting analysis of the Alliance vote and where the middle ground vote is going.

Why Alliance’s best days may be behind them, and why this should worry unionism:

In 2019, the middle-ground bloc gained 21.15% of the vote in the European election, and 17.25% in the Westminster election. Both figures are higher than last Thursday’s local election figure. The graph, below, shows the bloc performances.

The beginning of the Alliance surge was at the expense of the other two blocs. Now the nationalist bloc increase is at the expense of both unionist and middle-ground blocs. The smoothed middle-ground bloc share is declining at its steepest rate since before the Belfast Agreement. This suggests that, yes, demographic change is increasing nationalism at the expense of unionism, but it also suggests that SF is winning over new voters who see that party (and its united Ireland agenda) – rather than Alliance or Greens – as the harbinger of a better, more tolerant Northern Ireland. This is a new dynamic in NI elections, but it corroborates the University of Liverpool opinion poll findings in 2022: 11% of 18-34 year-olds supported Alliance, compared to 19% of 35-59 year-olds and 17% of 60+ voters. It suggests that SF are being supremely successful at portraying themselves as a blank canvas for young voters to project their hopes on. Relentless positivity and on-message coherence is paying off big-time for SF candidates.

Why was the 2023 Local Election the Most Seismic NI Election Ever, and How Might Identity Politics Evolve? – Slugger O'Toole (sluggerotoole.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Hah, it's what you inferred - that demographics/ breeding more nationalists is the changing dynamic. The phrase of course originated across the water: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/close_one%27s_eyes_and_think_of_England and was particularly in use I think after WW1 and WW2 when menfolk were depleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Turnout was at 54% vs 2019 GE at 62% I think it's too early to make these assumptions for local elections which tend to be reactionary punishment votes for bigger parties, even in NI.

I think people are getting carried away. Yes there has been a great increase in catholic percentage population. But given everything, including brexit fiasco, surely republicans are depressed.

total voting for parties supporting United ireland in 1998 = 39.5%

so where are we after all the sf surges and all the pr hype. Yes you guessed it :

total voting for parties supporting United ireland in 2023 = 39.5%

i.e. lower percentage of Catholics vote for United ireland parties today than 25 years ago.

Carlsberg comes to mind

Yes. No one seems at all serious about a Ui. As you say not even a plan on the back of a cigarette packet has been produced.

just seen this (and many like it) comment on the thread about paddy Keilty taking over your chat show “Well you could be right on that one! So much for the differing parts of the island being on some sort of mindset towards a united Ireland.” Few seem to have even heard of this household name in our OWC

paddy of course is born and reared in the Uk and I see he has insisted he will be continuing to live in the Uk he loves, and just travelling in to your country to record the show. This might help some of you comprehend how far away a Ui is when a GAA loving young Irish catholic won’t even move to roi when offered a massive contract. We have grown apart but should work on a really good neighbourly friendship

According to the chart the Alliance vote is in decline since before 2020., Unionism since before 2016.

Not sure how long is needed to see a trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

The two posters in that thread who hadn't heard of him have been roundly corrected, as i'm sure you well know, so stop projecting that nonsense.

I and i'm sure many here couldn't give a rat's arse where someone chooses to live within these islands, many Irish people live in the UK and vice versa with British people in the South. The only people who think we've grown apart are those in the North who want to foster the idea that we are different, we're not.

If you think you're that different to us why would you even engage and post here? Do you think that your experience here re-enforces your belief that we're alien to you or is it more a case of endeavouring to justify it by creating a 'you and us' divide?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I'm sure once he gets a taste of the D4 lifestyle, his head will be turned from living up north where its colder, poorer and distinctly more insular. :)

In all seriousness, I think he lives near where he was born.

Plenty of us do that, even when offered the prospect of living someone ostensibly nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

He was born in co. Down and lives in London

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think there's more to it than that.

If you look at the raw vote figures, as opposed to percentages, an interesting picture emerges.

Increase in total vote compared to 2019:

Unionist parties: 5,256

Nationalist parties: 54,815

Other parties: 25,458

Independents: 5,057

No doubt if you analysed the independents you could assign their votes to the unionist/nationalist/other columns, but on the figures it's clear this isn't going to change the overall picture. The total unionist vote is static; unionist parties are just squabbling among themselves as to how to divide it. But the DUP is doing OK in that squabble; their share of the unionist first preference vote is up from 58.3% in 2019 to 60.5% today. So far as the DUP is concerned, the unionist vote is slightly less fragmented today than it was in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, yeah, but "largest party" doesn't necessarily mean much in a multi-party system. Ireland is not the UK. Being the largest party doesn't deliver you government.

SF is indeed the largest party in Ireland, but that's on the basis of securing 24.5% of the vote in the most recent general election in the south, and 30.9% of the vote in this year's local elections in the north. They are opposed by two out of three voters in the north, and by three out of four voters in the south. Which means their route to government lies through coalition. And SF's coalition-buildings skills remain to be tested.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

What has been demonstrated is the ability to coalesce the nationalist vote and to get it out.

I also think 'opposed' is the wrong word here Peregrinus.

I voted for x candidate for x reason, I don't think you can read into that vote that I did it because I oppose anybody in particular. Unless it's a two horse race.

Those votes are there to be won and surely it is clear that in the North there is a middle ground that can be won over.

Absolutely. It’s exactly the point I was making . Excellent PR. The bubble will burst if they get into power in roi as the PR mask will slip

You never explained what the significance in PR terms of the posters wearing different styles of jackets in two different colours was downcow?

Or why Unionism has been reduced to hoping someone else **** up in order for them to hold on. From a PR perspective that isn't a great look.

Actually Dublin is much closer to where he was brought up than where he is currently living. Paddy as a young person was a very strong republican (and I am not suggesting he was in any way supportive of the violence of the Ira). He was steeped in the local GAA and actually local unionists found his political approach quite divisive. A number of years living away from this island has opened his eyes and he has endeared himself to unionism on his return. He done a podcast I think called ‘postcard from the other side’ which was excellent and of course he openly challenged, on prime roi tv, the ‘up the ra’ chanting by the roi football team. That was courageous and spot on. I wish him well and might even tune in occasionally

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Because that's all this strain of unionism has left: division and "othering" of the Republic like it's the 1960s all over again, alongside some twaddle about this strawman GAA-loving Catholic. Which just reinforces this mythical version of the RoI that lives in their heads: Papists and GAA Tadhgs a far as the eye can see; an alien country to be wary and hostile towards, a version that's at odds with reality - especially around the noted porous border counties and anyone who has gone up and down the M1 without feeling like they're crossing timezones, to hear our resident "unionist".

Mind you, given the way the Republic has gone in the last 30 years, those bunkered unionists still have a convenient fantasy to clutch: from a country riven with Catholic dogma, it's now a godless place of baby-murders, brown people and sodomites. Which probably dovetails nicely into why the DUP and its ilk's vote is stagnating, if not starting to shrink. This constant anxiety that you're not loving the Union enough curries no favour with the young demographics who have only known the peace born from the GFA, and want solutions to real issues about housing, health and all the other actual problems every normal country needs to deal with. The people who happily drive up and down the M1 without experiencing any hassle or interest about their background.

If Unionism wants to be taken seriously, maybe it should starting taking its own "wee country" seriously and running it like one - not hold it hostage because of trumped-up reasons nobody else in politics believes or cares about.

My goodness. Someone accusing me of having a weird view of roi (with a load of mad up nonsense about me) then sets about presenting a 10x more weird view of OWC and unionism. Mmmmm!

• Advertisement

I am so glad you have all followed paddy. Have you watched him change from Shinner supporting republican to a well rounded young man who respects his neighbours, whatever their background. I genuinely believe his involvement in prime time tv will be excellent for educating open minded southern viewers. He will challenge the nonsense portrayed of OWC regularly by ‘guests’ on that show

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement