Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i have nearly another 25 years to go to catch up with Nicholas😉

yeah its great to have them in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

huge effort from the Under 20s there just coming up short, they had more wides again than Cork just like when they met in Ennis

great game and a very tough one to lose, think that's 14 losses out of 18 Under 21/20 Munster final appearances

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Great game and second half performance by the Clare lads. Thought we would need a goal to win it but Cunningham got us out of jail. Should be another nailbiter next Sunday.

Only thing I would say is , a Munster final appearance at the start of the championship seemed very unlikely, came up against a brilliant cork team and went the full 12 rounds

Disappointed but some really good prospects in that side for the next few years, John coneeley was excellent tonight as was Smyth

• Advertisement

Ben Cunningham looks the real deal in fairness, that's a big physical cork team too something they have been missing over the last few years

Himself and Ben o Connor and midfielder O'Connell are serious players to be bringing through to senior at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Sadly Ben O 'Connor will be off playing Rugby with Munster Academy after the final

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

O Connor's lack of hurling recently was probably shown up tonight. Gone to rugby it seems anyway as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

Who was the Clare mentor sent off against Waterford? Hope wasn't Romer.🙈

It wasn't Niall that got sent off but he apparently lit the fire 🔥 at half time by asking Fitzgerald " have ye any American dollars in there" when passing the Waterford dressing room

I think it was a club mate of lohan that got sent off , he himself has been a very vocal figure for a number of years against the board and the Fitzgerald family, I won't mention his name as I could be wrong

But I doubt it he was saying his prayers either if he got sent off

• Advertisement

I heard that alright, he's not the first underage player ye have lost to Munster either,

With so many lads from cork on the Munster squad at the moment it must be a major distraction down there for under age coaching

disappointing day for the footballers , started off brightly but faded badly in the last 15 minutes

one major question i would have to ask is why the hell was a team out on the field for a full half hour before throw in going all out on drills , donegal didnt take to the field until 12 minutes before throw in and the difference at the end of the game was stark we were flat and leggy with 15 minutes remaining donegal pounced and out scored us 0-7 to 0-2 in that period

we also got a little lesson in defending , donegal set up the same as us , but everyone seems to know what to do , they kept keelan sexton scoreless for 69 minutes , sexton got the opener and no more after that , cleary was held to two frees , and nothing from play ,

a hugh mcfaddin point in the second half summed up the diffrence between the two sides , he had 6 clare players in his vicinity and still kicked a score from 25 yards out

i questioned oisin gallan in the league his second half performance today was top class , as was ciaran thompson who kicked 4 points as well but some excellent ones from range

pearse , darragh bohannon , and jamie malone driving forward were probably our best performers ,

great win for the minors in thurles , the sending off probably changed the game early on , we struggled for ages to make use of it , we never really got full control of the game until nearly the midway point of the second half

gunning was outstanding once again , driving forward from the back , young kilroy and james mescal were excellent , sean arthur and michael o'brien got some excellent scores also

galway look the real deal and young nilland and rabbite look the buisness , its going to be a huge ask in two weeks time

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

I am the biggest cheerleader for Colm Collins and Clare football but another pathetic performance for the second game on the trot. Donegal were lying down at the start waiting to be put out of their misery but Clare refused to put them away, kicking wides and missing goal chances. Donegal soon realised that they weren't up against much and even though they are in turmoil and missing a host of their best players, they decided to play a bit of ball and put away Clare handily enough. Clares attacking plan is Keelan Sexton and nothing else and opposition know this and get numbers around him and nullify him. It is obvious now that the selection of certain players is based on club bias from selectors. What has Ikem to do to get a run at half forward where he is the best operator in the county in the club championship. Why wasn't Cooney brought in, the attacking intent was awful. The worst part of this sorry saga is that they still have to fulfill 2 more fixtures in this competition. Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭fire_man

Wasn't Gavin Cooney injured for today's game.Forwards gone stale.Time for changes in management team and team.

Clare 2-22 Cork 3-18

Brian lohan used his " get out of jail card " in the park today , an exciting game no doubt but errors all over the place , we started slow and allowed corks running game to dictate things for the first 20 minutes , after that we got to grips with things mainly down to a series of excellent kelly scores

1- 4 he had on the board at half time , he only managed one more score in the second half from the well taken penalty , but very little of our inside line stood up after that to step in , a crazy decision by lohan to bring on ian galvin ahead of meehan or shannager resulted in complete breakdown in the attack ,

popular as galvin is , his form has been off for ages and we haven't seen the best of him since the group stage of the munster championship last year he struggled and gave away a few soft frees and was taken off again , but it wasnt just him not firing , we had 12 missed chances today between wides and balls dropped short from play by 9 different players , the biggest culprit was shane o donnell with 3 from play , tony had 4 wides 2 from play and mccarthy had 3 wides 1 from play , this is the area we need to improve on the most espically from our top players likes of McCarthy , Kelly and O'Donnell

contrast to tipperary against limerick 9 wides or balls dropped short and only 6 from play from 5 different players , thats the area we really need to improve on going into the munster final , we lost the all ireland semi last year for wayward shooting and poor inside forward play it will only be the same outcome against tipperary (i imagine) in 3 weeks time if we repeated that form

building up a 9 point lead and not kicking on is a slight worry but cork were always going to fight on ,

apart from maybe the first 15 minutes and maybe how we reacted to the penalty rebound our defensive structure was sound , john conlon was probably man of the match in my opinion with adam hogan or rory hayes , cathal molone was excellent once again in the middle 3rd wining endless amounts of dirty ball

0-4 from play from ryan for a wing back looks good , and he was excellent at times but he did have a few hairy moments , we can forgive him tonight for the efforts he put in in driving the team forward in the second half especially when our inside attack stalled completely

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

With the greatest respect your hurling knowledge is pretty poor. Get out of jail.....not sure what you were watching. Clare were the better team and deserved the win, Cork are no great shakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It was a sloppy enough display by Clare, lots of handling errors and could have ended up losing it.

But the result is great and we have an extra week's rest going into the Munster final ! You'd have to assume it'll be against Tipp.

Cleary's injury didn't look great, and he really is one of the players who is pretty much irreplaceable. Dislocated shoulder it seems.

Post edited by keeponhurling on

are you off your head , we were lucky , 9 points up and cruising then wide after wide , some incredibly poor , but for conlon and adam hogan we were in huge trouble nothing was sticking up front errors all over the middle 3rd , we woke up when cork got back level and just about got over the line

it was a super score by diarmuiid ryan , he scored a few nice ones in the second half but his own defending was terrible , same could be said for david mc , great going forward late on but all over the place positioning wise

if you are happy with the first 17 minutes of the second half today you must have been blinded by one of them smoke bombs .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

We stopped moving the ball through Mid-field in that time and resorted to long balls that were swept away by an effective set of backs. While the middle diamond did massive work, we failed to use that space in the 3 quarter to open up Cork. Our half-back lines drove balls into Duggan who while effective, cannot be expected to win it all. Rogers, who isn't slow, was beaten for speed all day. Cork had the same problem in their full forward line.

Cork were always going to have a strong period and after the penalty, the fear for me was energy would drop and Cork would surge. They did, and we were lucky to have the quick wit of a few players to peg a few scores on after Corks goals. All Corks goals came from breaking through the half-back line. Only 1 real chance came from a high ball. we were lucky to survive that. The free follow-up for Cork to score on the penalty should never have happened.

Great to see Kelly taking the ball in the air and winning his own battles. He is in his golden years now, we need to appreciate it. Hopefully, McCarthy can get back to full fitness, he was definitely off a bit yesterday. Hogan is getting better and physically lasted the pace yesterday. He should have been off earler against Limerick.

Most of our problems came from our own dropping of balls, or miss places long passes to the full forward line. Lot of work to be done in three weeks to address the problems. Unlikely Cleary will be back in time so David Mc, will have to go in full back. His pace is useful but he is a loss elsewhere.

There are cracks in our backline structure that are showing. Conlon did really well in the latter stages but when Cork broke through you have to have the Centre back covering that space. Likely to be Tipp in the final so lessons need to be learned. I also think Tipp are going to run out of setup tricks like naming squads alphabetically or pulling the half-forward line way out and we get to a shoot-out. Bonnar Maher on Conlon or McInerney would be ok.

• Advertisement

Watching it back today, the first 2 cork goals really were amateur. A litany of unforced mistakes. Even for the 3rd goal, although Horgan did well, it was too easy.

This after conceding 5 goals v Tipp, we can't keep writing these off as mistakes.

You said Clare got out of jail which is nonsense. Clare were the better team over the 70 minutes albeit let Cork back in to the match which we always seem to do.

As for your comments on Diarmaid Ryan, again nonsense.

Of course we got out of jail, we threw away a huge lead and hanging on for a draw in injury time

What's nonsense is your interpretation of cork being a nothing team and us being the superior when we could have lost it in the last few minutes

To be fair you don't come across as the type of person that should be passing judgement on others,

You seriously need to take a look back at the game again because your interpretation is nothing but clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I assume the Gaelic grounds would be the odds on favourite to host the Munster final?

It would make far more sense for both counties but I imagine cork will be looking for it

Great stadium but built in a cul-de-sac which makes it probably the worst situated stadium in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 15,690 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There are some concerts on in Musgrave Park in Cork the same day. I wonder will that have a contributing factor in the decision?

Clare v Tipp would be in the Gaelic Grounds

Clare v Limerick would be in Semple Stadium

Clare v Cork would be in Semple Stadium

"Diarmaid Ryan's defending was terrible" and I'm the clueless one, sure thing. I'll leave it at that.

you were happy with the declan dalton goal so i take it , and barrett totally got the better of him late in the game , he got caught badly in possession trying to play a ball along the ground when he had time to pick it up and clear it led to another cork point, there was also a shane kingston point which was set up by barrett who had left him for dead

hes a good player but needs to badly improve on them scores for tipperary , there was loads of errors like that all over the place , that performance will get us no where in the munster final , we are incredibly lucky we are still in the championship

• Advertisement

if its tipperary it should be on in limerick , i think there is only something like 1 or 2000 difference in the capacity , corks stadium is excellent but in a terrible location plus its much further away for the bulk of the two teams support

Advertisement