Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 PGA Championship thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

Great Win for Koepka. Especially after the disappointment in the Masters.

True resilience. Delighted for him

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Not really talk Brooks wants back - as he is now actaully fit and can play. He knows LIV is a nonsense. I'd hope - this will actually encourage him to come back to real golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I doubt it, he never really cared about regular tour events anyway, why would he now?

Has his exemptions topped up now for another 5 years, so I'd say he's happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭patob

Lukewarm applause from galleries. Apart from Liv I am not a fan, showed major disrespect to rules officials at Ryder cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

"A nonsense"

Yet 3 players in the top 9.

Not a Liv fan but there top guys are still every bit as competitive. The likes of Westwood & Poulter wouldn't win a major no matter what, and it's purely the easy money for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Totally agree. The guy thought he had a career ending injury, he did what he thought was the right thing for his health and family. If you'd have offered "this" Brooks Liv there is no way he ever takes it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Also Mr Block, take a bow. What a ride. That Ace. Just incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The up and down on 18 was incredible too, don't think enough was made of that. Great story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

A win for the bad boys?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I think this win will force the PGA tour to sit down with LIV and sort something out. Crazy the monopoly that the pga tour has over world golf.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭SlowChris

A bit cringey the commentators talking about Block's 125 dollar per 45 minutes lessons as if he's slumming it.

Works out at 165 per hour.

30 hours a week gives 5k per week, or 250k a year.

He's already loaded and a millionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I turned off the golf after a couple of holes, couldn't watch somebody off that other tour win.

First time ever I didn't watch full coverage of the final round of a major.

I admire people with conviction no matter what...

But this is a bit extreme..

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Yeah agreed, majors aren't about whatever tour you're playing on. Brooks was excellent yesterday and truly deserved it, that duel with Hovland was class I'm sure will give him confidence for the future. That win yesterday was about history, only the 20th golfer to ever win 5 ahead of the adored Rory. Was great viewing, pity about the 16th but thought the setup served its role and the best player won.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The Majors are not associated with any Tour, so whether entrants are PGA, DP, Asian, LIV or Japan tour members, it's all irrelevant.

Just the best golfers out there for the W.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

These players disgust me. We can't chat about why here but that's the reason I couldn't watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Except he's a head professional, not a teaching professional, he might 5-10 lessons a week for 30 weeks in the year, maybe bolstering his income by at most $30-40,000. He might be on a decent salary from the club but he is also living in a high cost area, I would be very surprised if he was a liquid millionaire, adding up his assets in home, retirement fund etc he would be doing ok but he wouldn't be rolling in it.

Luckily for him though, the Americans like to see success and if he was driving a nice car they would be thinking he's working hard, he deserves it. Whereas elsewhere, there is an attitude the pro must be ripping us off, he's driving a nice car, despite the fact it was a 2 year old second hand model when he bought it and works 80 hours a week in the summer time.

There is an impending doom coming in the golf industry, clubs are really going to struggle in the future to get staff, certainly in the professional and the greenkeeping ranks, in fact it's happening already. The idea that clubs can pay a pittance and expect the pro to work from dawn to dusk is a one that staff are rejecting.

The more I get to know about golf - it has got to be the most glamorous on the face of it - but behind it , it is poorly paid.

He has gone real mainstream

The claim now - he is the cure to wokeness - lol

He's a nice guy and it came across on camera. He's an ordinary guy doing big things so everybody loves him.

I enjoyed watching him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

What an absurd narrative. Good for Block though, seems a decent skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

The last point is worth noting here. Subs, gear, lessons and everything golf-related can only go in one direction - unfortunately, it's upwards. Inflation, cost of living, insurance etc take your pick. Only if playing numbers dip significantly will prices go back down. We're so lucky in Ireland that you've a course nearly 30 mins away in most places. Not to mention how affordable a green fee is in general. With the exception of the jacked up yank targeting courses obviously.

I remember our AGM and some clowns were trying to angle every question on the staff's salaries indirectly or directly. It couldn't be given out publicly for obvious HR/GDPR reasons. The same for certain figures or department spends would allow you to infer it. They had another round in the chamber of "Why are we paying these high salaries/expenses, it's too much". "It's a cost of living crisis (that only applies to me and my sub)". The staff in the club can feck off though right? Nonsense and the noise merchants are as you'd imagine not feeling the pinch.

The short version is that if you want a well-maintained course, simply pay the staff. Also, give them the right equipment and environment in which they can excel. We'd no kitchen and bar manager at one point because they got better gigs. I understand that a sub is a big commitment for most of us but you can't expect to pay peanuts and have the red carpet rolled out.

I think it's a generic Irish thing of expecting everything but not actually wanting to pay what it costs never mind begrudgery. Particularly when it comes to taxes/politics or look at civil servant Mick over there in his new Audi and we all taxpayers funding his car. Other countries have a mentality of more services = more costs (taxes). Cuts mean some of those under-resourced services are going in the wrong direction. Same applies to our clubs and annual subs.

As for Block unless he's other income streams there's no chance he's printing money. He might make a few million now from Taylormade and other sponsorship opportunities as a result of his recent exposure. Hopefully, he has a good agent and advisors to strike while the iron is hot. He might be forgotten in two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No real surprise to see Block struggling in Rd 1 yesterday, last place by 4 shots at +11.

A whirlwind week for him for sure.

I know he had to run with it ...but he would have been better off going on the lash in the club and with family for a week and take another invite down the road..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Or sit it out and wait for LIV to call :)

He was an emotional wreck in his post round interview, a crazy week for him, it was fairly inevitable that it would have to come crashing down again soon.

I think he has another exemption or two, he might as well grab them all while he can. Hard to turn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

He still had this nicely saved par to remember despite the poor score

Advertisement