Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...ah now, you might wanna be, if making such statements!

first link on the ould google device....

if you be having an ould dyslexia diagnoses, you d be now havin an ould 'learning disability', as i have myself, along with other family members, but undiagnosed, they would have been considered 'slow learners', and you d be surprised how negatively it effects ones life, the most common being being long term unemployment, dysfunctional behaviors, addictions, mental health issues, etc etc etc

unfortunately you ll find many, if not most such people, i.e. are actually largely undiagnosed, and largely completely unaware of their issues, and our educational system is horrendously dreadful at picking up such issues, and appropriately dealing with them.....

you ll actually find many other known disabilities/disorders, call them what you will, are largely undiagnosed, again, many long term unemployed, theres also evidence within our criminal justice system, i.e. prison system, then of course many are also employed, but struggle with their undiagnosed issues, which in turn can lead to all sorts of complex psychological issues, mental health issues, addiction problems, and blah, blah blah blah....

...oh and learning disabilities commonly dont be alone, as they d be commonly comorbid with other disorders, that can severely impact learning, such as asd, etc etc etc, again, as i have myself....

oh and you ll find many just continue to ignore these realities, and would rather sit on the internets, pointing fingers, judging such folks, and simply continue to just ridicule and shame them further....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I did not find the term "slow learners" in your link, I see the addition of specific learning disabilities which are strictly defined.

It includes dyslexia as you mention. I am not playing down the difficulties of those with disability, I never stated that. In fact I highlighted that I have met people with dyslexia who are not 'slow learners' in my opinion.

The term 'slow learner' is not well defined and is subjective and its honestly why Leo used it, politicians love such terms. It was not a direct attack on those with learning disabilities but rather a glib remark on the general intelligence of those who support his opposition. I think you have to be searching for offence to interpret it as Leo's ableism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Nice bit of revisionism there Kermit. I voted for FG in 2011 by the way. I believed their lies.

Sinn Fein had 4 seats in 2010. 4 seats. They were led by Adams and were a complete irrelevance with very little media coverage.

The IMF and EU were running the show in 2011 and it was during the election campaign that Leo that said "not another red cent" would be paid to the banks and the bondholders would need to take their losses.

Leo's exact words were:

“Anglo Irish Bank is not getting another cent of our money and any bank coming to us looking for more money is going to have to show how they’re going to impose losses on their junior bondholders, on their senior bondholders and their other creditors before they come looking to us for anymore money. Not another cent.”

Meanwhile self serving Gilmore was using the slogan "Labour's Way or Frankfurt's Way" and that he would renegotiate the recent EU-IMF deal. Utter bollocks from another dodgy politician.

But yeah Sinn Fein. Spare me. FG have been a shocking disaster since they assumed power in 2011.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭downtheroad

USC can't be avoided , its the best and fairest tax going. Unless you earn less than €13k a year you pay something towards USC.

Income tax can easily be avoided by various tax reliefs and credits. Its not paid by anybody in the country until you earn over €17,750, and even then can be avoided.

Changes to the income tax bands should be made rather than any change to USC. That would put more money back into your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

Did Coveney ever fill that makey uppy crony job that Zappone was destined to get as a reward for protecting the FG govt?

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I hate this kind of trawling for scandal bullshit.

None of those costs are particularly out of the ordinary and they are all tiny in the grand scheme of things. €110k for business class flights is utterly miniscule. Do we want everyone in the govt to fly Ryanair everywhere and our embassies to be based in hostels or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

You get the impression they have given up. They know they will be utterly destroyed at the next election. I'd keep an eye on their expenses before they leave office. They might do a Dara Murphy (FG) on it.

Stanton is past retirement age. There does seem to be a bit of a struggle to find FG candidates to replace the ones who are retiring. The councils used to be a natural spawning ground for TDs but with the end of the Dual Mandate (FF/Martin Cullen/2003, I think), that link was broken. Before that TDs could also be councillors. Then again, FF of that time probably didn't expect to be allied with FG and facing SF as the most popular Irish political party.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Labours way or frankfurter way was comedy... could you imagine Gilmore and an Irish government not having access to tens of billions to waste. To actually address the waste and welfare state here etc. Like varadkar said they would do. Lol! I'd have loved to have seen it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Gilmore really fu**Ed up everything Labour supposedly stood for. As I have said before I was a lifelong Labour supporter. He put an end to that. And then along comes dear Joan and Alan to put the icing on the cake. Sickening!

On another note, up in Dublin there apparently are serious water supply issues.

I straight away thought of that other arrogant bully from that era. Wonder where Phil is these days?

In the main, we vote these clowns in, we get what we deserve.

FG will struggle to keep their existing seats but brand new candidates will really have a hill to climb. I am pretty convinced FG will get around 20 seats next time out. Time will tell.

Ff now saying workers should receive less of a tax reduction on a euro basis than the workshy should receive in welfare increases...

If welfare is increased by e10 a week, with the bonus week, that e530 a year. Why should any worker not receive at least this in income tax reductions. Its a farce...

Fg with nothing to lose, should double down on insisting on decent tax reductions, effectively they are only in line with cost of living increases. Far too many spongers in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The end of the dual mandate means more councillors as potential TDs, not fewer.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Richard Bruton surely eyeing up retirement at this stage in Dublin Bay North. Catherine Noone as his running mate was a huge let down last time out. Naoise O Muiri FG councillor in Clontarf hardly has the profile to keep that seat? Denise Mitchell SF got the highest number of votes in the country last time out, so is a shoe in to bring home a running mate (they could run a wheelie bin with her and get it elected).

With current unemployment levels and the demand for staff in so many businesses, FG should be demanding cuts to jobseekers and reduced taxation for those who bother to get up early in the morning. Target the middle income voters, not the welfare gang who will vote SF anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

12,259 people are now in emergency homeless accommodation, a new record high. Almost 4,000 of them are children.

This government should be proud

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The public wanted an eviction ban. The public got what they wanted.

Populism always ends with bad results.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It is generally expected here in Mayo that Michael Ring will be stepping down. He had to have his arm twisted to run the last time and will be over 70 by the next election. Although I don't the likes him or Bruton sailing off into the sunset is a sign of any great malaise within FG...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

For 20+ years now every single intervention by successive governments in the property market has just made things worse.

Trying to control rents doesn't work, just drives properties out of the rental market and disincentivises would-be landlords.

Massively increased red tape and BER requirements etc. pushing the cost of construction through the stratosphere. Yes energy efficiency is a good thing but perfect is the enemy of good and we have a f*cking housing crisis. We need homes for people. We can pretty them up later. Where I live there are loads of 50+ year old homes being energy upgraded. These guys would be better used building new homes instead of cutting the gas bills of upper middle class pensioners.

Making it almost impossible, or under the "eviction ban" literally impossible, to evict tenants even if they pay no rent and wreck the place.

Ditto with strategic mortgage defaulters. They should get six months at the most then out on their ear and let an honest person have a home instead.

First time buyer grants which were just pocketed by developers

Mortgage interest tax relief which primarily benefited the most wealthy

Etc.

The best thing the government could do is just stop trying to interfere in the private rental market altogether. The only intervention they should be doing is building as many cost rental properties as possible but they're not doing that.

Who'd be a landlord under this government never mind the prospect of an SF one? But society needs private landlords.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Ye should listen to Playback this morning. Great coverage of FG's uncosted budget plans to cut taxes and their attempts to undermine FF's first budget. Some.classic stuff from idiots on both sides. Sarah McInerney skewered a FG minister who's name escaped me.

Uncosted when it comes to cutting income taxes. Its never questioned when its welfare hikes...

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭dasa29

Interesting to read that the shinners are up 3% while FFG are down by the same margin. I’m wondering would messrs Varadker & Martin be better off keeping their gobs shut instead of the talk about promising this & that in the next budget? Personally I find these ( so far ) empty promises off putting.

I also find it ironic that the greens are on the same % as Labour- really poor reflection.

RedC definitely pissed on FFG's cornflakes. The problem for FFG is that RedC has always been more favourable to FG and less so to FF. That collapse in FG support as seen in a an earlier B&A poll now seems to be moving through other pollsters. The other RedC poll should be far more worrying for FFG and even SF. There was a slight reorientation by SF a while ago in blaming the government for the immigration problem but the issue has the capability to fracture Irish politics.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

The issue isn't reducing tax for workers, its reducing tax for which workers. Someone earning €50k a year has far less pressing needs for money in their pocket than someone earning €25k a year. But Varadkar has a myopic focus on raising the entry point for the upper rate of marginal tax, which only benefits those earning significantly above the median income in the country.

80% of adults in Ireland earn less than €57k per year, for reference. The median household income, nevermind individual, is only about €45k. So raising the the top individual marginal tax entry point to €50k only benefits the already significantly higher income than average.

A much fairer approach would be to raise other tax entry points - instead of having USC of 2% kick in at €12k, and 4.5% at 23k, why not bring the entry point for both up to €30k? Someone on €50k (or €80k, or more) would still save 475e per year with that. But the very important difference is the workers earning less would still benefit, instead of getting nothing from an increase in the upper marginal tax rate.

It's both better morally, and much better electoral politics, to focus on putting money back in every worker's pocket rather than just a select few. FF's electoral instincts are correct on this.

Its also a very effective way to get people off the dole to boot - it makes entry level jobs pay more, and without costing employers a cent.

• Advertisement

Yep, loads of comments last week saying the tax cuts aren't agreed or discussed, but nobody coming out opposing Heather Humphreys guaranteeing that welfare will be increased in the budget.

Advertisement