Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the uneven distribution of farms to children still common place?

Options
13»

Comments

Nope, as far as I know she didn't anyway, she adored her nieces and nephews, treated them like her own.

I had a look on the property price register there out of curiosity, and the house was sold for a very good price about a year after she died.

Probably made enough to go a long way towards her nieces and nephews college fees, or deposits for their own homes. She would have been delighted with that.

Her relationship with the sister who wanted the house sold from under her was never the same again, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭older by the day

Sher if he was being milked a few times a week in his old age, how bad.

Not talking about this case but it's often the neighbors are better to the person than relations. Cooking dinners, giving them lifts and helping (running) the farm for them. It's only when they are on the way out that the relatives take interest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Yeah I'm sure you are right. I remember a family years ago,3 brothers and 2 sisters. The mother had passed and the father had Parkinsons. All of the children were settled with their own homes and businesses except one guy and the home place was earmarked for him. Come the day of the will and they all find out the home place is already in one of the sisters name.

It's hard to know what goes on but I know the father had a live in carer which would have cost someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭green daries

Ohhh sooo many including myself could write a chapter in that book whelan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note; White Clover your post was deleted, personal abuse, have a read of the charter.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I grew up on a small farm, I have one brother and although we both helped out when when we were growing up I hated farming and he did most of the work on it so when the old man passed on he got the farm and a few bob was left to me in the will.

It would make no sense dividing up 40 acres of land when he did all the hard work on it by himself since he was 15

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

But is the trick to try and rear your children to be independent and able to look after themselves.and be financially independent.if they have their own thing going on will they be less invested in the assets of the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

From the older farmers, this is not 'an outdated view point' but how they actually see it.

Generally oldest son gets farm, period, whether right or wrong it's what they normally do.

A lot of more modern Farmers don't have the same fixed viewpoint & usually are much fairer in how they see the farm/assets passing on.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

The issue is 90% Irish farms are too small for modern commercial farming. If you start splitting them up the farm is non viable. Also in my own case 2 siblings left with a six figure each out of farm. BUT there was no money in the farm or cash so getting them sorted which was done through borrowing money crippled me and and the farm; and unlike seems alot of families I actually love them and they are very good to me. Sister has family, I have none and brother same so in around about way my sister will inherit in the end. Can see alot of farns getting sold in the future as no one will take them on. I probably should have just sold here in alot of ways farms are poisoned chalices and mill stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭green daries

It's unfortunate but it is true In many cases that farms would be much better off sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Havenowt

I will be in a similar position, 70 acre farm, 50 around House and yard. Old lad in mid 70's still tipping away. I doing most of the heavy manual jobs.

I hold a full time job, I have 3 siblings, 2 sisters and a brother living in the USA for the last 15 yrs. There was some mention of me taking over and me giving sibling money (10-15K each). My brother said he doesnt want anything only stay in the home house when he come home with family for visits.

I have a nice house and have a wife who doesnt want to leave it as the home house would never feel like its her house. This leaves the house that i cant really sell plus its in the middle of the yard. I'll have to get 30-40k together. Not the easist thing to do no adays.

Thoughts are part time farm or just rent the land out for 5-10 yrs with no use of the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭amacca

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Advertisement