Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,428 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Have SF clarified their position? I would have thought the move to direct exchequer funding would be the kind of radical, transformative change they would be looking to make in government...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'd doubt that. If SF do get in, it'll be payback time for them for the years of blatant bias RTE showed against SF - RTE know this and will go 'all in' against SF in the run up to the nest GE in a bid to stave off the wrath of a party with a score to settle

I dislike both RTE and SF, but I dislike the bias shown even more

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It really doesn't make any difference whether it's a licence fee or direct taxpayer funding. How much they get is a political decision either way. That's why the licence fee has been frozen for years, no party wants to be the one to give RTE an increase in funding.

Also, bias against SF 🤣 they haven't done nearly enough in calling those murderers to account.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

1. We get another VM only worse.
    2. Not going to happen as the number of households who genuinely don't require a licence is only going to increase. Can't really increase compliance without taking a very draconian approach which isn't a runner politically.
    3. Maybe. RTE2 and 2FM are useless anyway and would be missed by few. But the savings would be small.
    4. The Micheal Martin approach, he never approached any issue without commissioning and then ignoring a few reports...

The reform of the TV licence has been a contentious issue for successive governments who have failed to reform it. There has been no increase in the €160 fee since 2008.

Says it all. Nobody wants to touch this hot potato with a bargepole, to mix my metaphors 😉

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

I read in the Indo (Saturday 20 May) that Bakhurst has made a direct appeal to the Taoiseach and other senior government figures to let Revenue collect the licence fee. But the Department of Finance has pushed back on the Revenue option. The Government is due to make a decision on the licence fee in the coming weeks. A form of "universal levy" - applying to most households, regardless of whether they have a TV set - is expected to be introduced.

A second government report on TV licence reform has been on media minister Catherine Martin's desk since the end of March. The Government has committed to reforming the licence by the end of the third quarter of next year. A spokesperson said that it's a complex issue and that Ms Martin is considering the detail of that report before bringing it to Government in the future.

Forget the 3rd option. Why leave terrestrial-only viewers on the west coast from Mayo to Kerry with even less choice?!

There's a great selection of free to air satellite channels for anyone who wants them.

So SF would refuse to embrace direct exchequer funding purely because it's what RTE themselves seem to want?

Anyway seems like the current government is finally going to make a decision on RTE funding and I doubt SF would go changing that again in a couple of years...

For various reasons, many people cannot have satellite TV, i.e. cost, not allowed to have a dish either because the landlord doesn't want it or because the house is a listed building or a preservation order on nearby trees that block the line-of-sight that is necessary for reception of satellite signals.

Furthermore, there's no guarantee that most of those channels will stay unencrypted. The technology that is used for the Sky Glass TV service will probably make the dishes used to received satellite TV obsolete eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭RoTelly

These would just be options on a poll

1. I agree
    2. Change the rules in terms of who needs a licence to households, An Post never did a good job collecting the licence fee in any case, and it would be an over all reform of RTÉ
    3. Imported programmed (which mainly airs on RTÉ costs €25m while 2FM cost them €5m form the license fee, I'd the lost ad revenue would be minimal)
    4. Yeah seems to be what some posters want.

Why? There will be a change and the change ... oh wait your right there is no change Kevin Bakhurst is the new Dee Forbes and Suin Ni R is the new Moya D.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

@political analyst On the west coast? maybe along the east, but I'd say your safe in the West on those issues.

Choice wise you could always sell RTÉ 2 and 2FM and the new owners could keep the running.

______

Yesterday

I referred to terrestrial-only viewers on the west coast because they can't receive overspill of terrestrial signals from Northern Ireland or from Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Who would buy them? Cheaper to set up yourself and not inherit all the crap

They can get satellite, Soarview in no way serves this market in any case. RTÉ2's audience is on a massive downward spiral without sport its getting similar audiences to VMTV2

While I say RTÉ2 is on that downward spiral it still has some goodwill along with a set number of imported programmes, you'd not just be buying a channel that you could ultimately just play out The Chase on.

Either way RTÉ letting go with of RTÉ2 and 2fm would allow the focus and remove their burdens on the service.

______

Yesterday

For reasons I've already told you on this thread, some people can't have satellite dishes. The sports coverage (especially The Sunday Game) itself justifies RTÉ 2's existence, given that there was racing on RTÉ 1 yesterday afternoon. It can't be that difficult for RTÉ to run only 3 channels on TV - and I'm not counting the +1 channels. The RTÉ News channel is useful for coverage of sporting events that RTÉ has the rights to but is unable to show on 1 or 2, e.g. a match involving the Republic's under-21 (I think) team last Saturday.

Some but not many on the west coast or in rural areas. I am not suggested dropping RTÉ2.

RTÉ2 in no way justifies it existents as part of RTÉ with current audience levels. It has little to no PSB remit, its children's content has been vastly reduced while much of those imports are highly commercial in nature.

RTÉ2 could be sold along with some international sporting rights such as 6nations and Champions league that require only commentary and analysis, coupled with RTÉ's set of imported programmes. This would save RTÉ money in Sporting rights and in programming rights which they could spend on other things.

It seem terribly difficult for RTÉ to run four channels (you forget RTÉjr).

Was the Under-21s clashing with sport on RTÉ1?

As I say RTÉ 1, RTÉ NEWS and RTÉjr could take on much of the programmes you suggest, if it needs to broadcast clashing sports let them offer them up to Virgin Media or TG4.

Or invest in RTÉ2 properly.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

2FM is the only music station in the country that can't make a profit, definitely dump that. Maybe RTE2 was necessary when there was limited choice,who watches it now. TG4 is available if there's a clash with sport on 1.

We're five million souls,all we need is RTE1,TG4 and Radio1. The news is available on the Player if anyone is bothered. Don't think those +1 channels cost much to air anyway, they're mainly for scooping up more and revenue I'd say.

But TG4 became legally separate from RTÉ years ago. It's for that reason that, overnight, TG4 replaced its simulcast of Euronews with France 24.

This is true but there is nothing stopping RTÉ selling sporting rights to TG4, VMTV and a potential private RTÉ2 when it has clashing sports.

In actual fact RTÉ could put clashing sports on RTÉ1 +1, opting out of the +1 schedule for an hour or two.

BTW the suggested poll option are me reading the room.

1. Defund: Time to stop funding RTÉ, let it stand on its own 2 feet
    2. Reform: Time for An Post to collect it better and for RTÉ to make reforms internally (But keep as is)
    3. Reduce: the number of services provided by RTÉ to RTÉ 1, RTÉ Radio 1, RnaG and RTÉ News (along with online services such as the player)
    4. Wait: for another report that defines what we really want from Public Service Broadcastings

and how I would vote

1. I disagree complete
    2. My preferred option, but RTÉ (and An Post) would have to make massive reforms (I don't think how the license fee is collected is really an issue).
    3. A second option for me, this would be the nuclear option if 2 did not work.
    4. Absolutely not something must be done.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

RTE certainly do want direct exchequer funding because that way, people don't think about being ridden sideways once a year - It won't happen, The future of media commission already said as much - because of 'Perceived or actual bias' [by RTE to the govt of the day]

FFG already pay RTE millions in a under the counter sort of way with the govt sponsored adverts - 'How to wipe your arse properly' By the HSE, 'Visit the Chester Beatty Museum'...it's free in FFS, 'National concert hall'...all paid for by govt - ads that don't seem to run on any other station and now the new trick is to double up on those with the Irish versions. The next trick will be to have those ads in Albanian. Add to that, the direct sponsorship of a radio show (today with CB) by the state agency Solas

If it weren't for the 10's of millions paid by govt in this semi-covert support, RTE would have had to clean up their act. It stinks frankly.

I don't know what SF would do. They may well go down the retribution route I mentioned or, they too may form a cosy relationship with RTE in a mutual backscratching arrangement similar to the one that exists today.

On your point -

Anyway seems like the current government is finally going to make a decision on RTE funding and I doubt SF would go changing that again in a couple of years...

They'd [govt] be very brave to piss people off even more than they are now so I don't really see them doing anything anytime soon

The Board need a good kick up the arse, perhaps the CnaM might as their Authority / regulator consider investigating this or telling them to get down to business.

FFG already pay RTE millions in a under the counter sort of way with the govt sponsored adverts - 'How to wipe your arse properly' By the HSE, 'Visit the Chester Beatty Museum'...it's free in FFS, 'National concert hall'...all paid for by govt - ads that don't seem to run on any other station and now the new trick is to double up on those with the Irish versions. The next trick will be to have those ads in Albanian. Add to that, the direct sponsorship of a radio show (today with CB) by the state agency Solas

@Gen.Zhukov Not just these type of PSAs but also lots of programming from Screen Ireland funded Drama to SFI funded Lifestyle such as Hospital Live, from EPA's Eco Eye to Bord Bia's Cookery programmes, in one of their annual reports for independent production it showed that 50% of the funding for independent productions came from a range of outside sources. Couple with the fact that last year the government pick up the tab for the NSO.

______

Yesterday

The Irish language ads are a complete scam.

That's a ruling passed down from the Language Commissioner. I think 50% of all of those ads must now be in Irish. The problem that your seeing IMO is that the adds are far to wordy even in english and the Irish translations are just all over the place and really just an afterthough.

PSA ads in Ireland are dreadful to begin with with little to no creativity causing even less creativity in Irish.

We won't be getting another one of these anytime soon.

https://youtu.be/0EZvqTt9zoc

______

Yesterday

Summer Time is official.

RTÉ ONE's main daytime TV show take a 4 month break, to return in "September", Maura's went to a 3 day week due to the work life balance issue that seems to be really hard on RTÉ staff! 2 day a week's Sinéad  never really got that pressure, she's off to Brussels to be with her hubby, she only gets 4 months there, can you imagine the hardship!

But poor Aul Daithi he's got to do the Rose of Tralee, so he's prob busy preparing for the 2 day even in August and then sure its all go after that as he prepares for they return of Today on the 25th of Sept!

Soon the news crew will be off on their extended break, because its sleepy season in politics would and as the former head of news once tweeted in defence

______

Yesterday

It's embarrassing the national broadcaster can't do a full news bulletin during the holidays.

They'd [govt] be very brave to piss people off even more than they are now so I don't really see them doing anything anytime soon

Is there not massive pressure on them to come to some sort of decision at this stage, it's been long-fingered for so long.

The Government has committed to reforming the TV licence by the end of the third quarter of next year.

This seems to be the currently favored option

It is expected a form of “universal levy” will be introduced, which will apply to most households, regardless of whether they have a TV set.

But you know why they don't broadcast over the summer?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

I believe the excuse is the Dail isn't sitting.

Advertisement