Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster V Stade Rochelais. Champions Cup Final. Sat May 20, 16:45. Aviva Stadium, Dublin.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

They do. They gave some coverage to all the finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Interesting. Could have been a red card against LAR. Not sure if they would have stood.

Virtually identical incident to the one he did himself down the field about 7 minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

You have details and clarity coming out your ears about penalties leinster should have gotten but cant remember the obvious stuff that leinster got away with.

Jack nowell isnt a great winger by any stretch, hes good but hes not anywhere near contention if the lions were picking a starting team. He probably wouldnt make the bench, but watch him improve in that environment.

Finn Russell was on the market, big player big price tag but they didnt sign him. Same with Kolbe leaving TL. There are a world of massive players out there to be signed and LAR could attract them but they dont, they recruit shrewdly and work on what they get.

There was good reason people wrote off skelton his fitness was an issue but ROG has got him playing 80 minutes now. Thats coaching pure and simple. He was a lot fitter than Jenkins.

This chequebook thing makes it sound like LAR are the Man City of Rugby or a modern day Toulon when they midtable budget wise and top of the table performance wise.

• Advertisement

No, just I'm in the business of actually trying to back up statements I make with evidence, rather just just engaging in pointless whataboutery.

But the team should have had the smarts to milk it. Made the ref have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Missed that myself, but how was that not picked up by the TMO? Clear as day on that last replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Muldoon wouldn't be near that Leinster team.. he might have been a leader but, he isn't close to the level of any of the lads that played this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

The problem is that you fail to realise is that his utter prickishness is what makes him a great coach.

He's manufacturing this fauz outrage to motivate his players, and it's absolute genius tbh. While Leo is non-chantly talking about how disappointed theyvare and that's the kust how things go, ROG is already planting seeds into his players inds for next year and even the next few games.

ROG isn't stupid, he knows Leinster will be their main ERC rivals for the next couple of years. If they meet next year you can guarantee he'll be reminding everyone and his players how they were slighted and looked down at the final in the Aviva.

It's a masterclass in player management.

• Advertisement

It's on the TMO to see it. The likelihood is that Ala'alatoa's clear out on Colombe wouldn't have been spotted either if he hadn't knocked him out, it was him going down that caused Peyper to whistle play dead.

I dunno; whatever you say in the privacy of the dressing room to rile up your team is fair enough, but he made those stupid, incorrect and unfair comments about Ryan after they've won the game, and they're out there celebrating on the field.

If he'd had an ounce of class about him, he'd be praising his players, praising the opposition, talking about the game, the atmosphere, how great it would be to bring the trophy back to the harbour etc, but instead he's airing false grievances. If he's really thinking the long game ahead of next season, then that is truly mental, but from where I'm sitting he looks like a classless dickhead.

Peyper is night and day, from minute to minute and he is usually all over the shop. In saying that, are we clambering about the referee....again. It's 3 years in a row. They physically got on top! Again. 3 years consecutively. There's no rights to anything in today's game! LaR dominated the physicality and the territory, possession etc. Leinster didn't contest line outs? Couldn't exit and could get possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Whatever about ROG, the LAR Blazers sound like an awful bunch of pricks.

Like, demanding a function room large enough for 300 people and then blaming Leinster when they don't get it? That's bad enough, but these are the same people who threatened action against Ulster if their "official delegation" of 400 people wasn't allowed into the behind-closed-doors match a few months ago.

People keep responding to what I've said here saying "LAR dominated possession, territory etc" - but the very point of my post is that this is precisely how they dominated possession and territory.

Leinster stifled them multiple times, and legitimately turned them over 3 times, with two others that egregiously weren't blown and the players didn't ultimately get the ball (JGP told to release, Doris penalised).

If those 5 penalties are given, then the territory and possession stats will look materially different.

We were more than up for them physically yesterday multiple times. All of Henshaw, Ringrose, Ryan, Doris, Sheehan, VDF had massive hits on them, or massive gainline success when we were in possession.

In the 55th minute BT had a stat that La Rochelle had had 12 negative yardage carries at that point in the game. We were successfully repelling them, but you have to get the break from the referee at that point too to lift the pressure.

What stupid, incorrect and unfair comments did he make about James Ryan?

jgp dived on a player on the ground. Around the time james ryan got hurt.

Ringrose was clearly, blatantly and right in front of the ref in at the side the time ngati got a turnover.

aalatola should have been Yc for the scrum and constant infringing by team in red-zone before the sub hooker did get binned.

Your criticising the ref for what he didnt give leinster, but the simple fact is that he didnt give LAR plenty as well.

His utter nonsense about Ryan "disrespecting" Gregory Aldritt -

O’Gara further stoked the fires when adding: “Yeah, I got word of it down on the pitch. Obviously, I have a close relationship with my captain – a bizarre action when they were going for the toss. Normally you engage eyes and no eyes were engaged. Greg was disappointed and let down.”

Ludicrous and stupid. Did not reflect well on LAR, their captain or ROG.

• firstly he did not make eye contact at the coin toss.
    • then it seems he stared at him. After the photo was produced showing eye contact.
    • then it seems he was kept waiting for the coin toss.

Bit he didn't say Ryan "disrespected" Aldritt. He basically re told the story his captain told him. No what Aldritt issue was I've no idea, but neve the less, ROG has to back his captain there as any head coach would.

Also in your previous post you yalk as if ROG never praised his players after the match etc and solely spent his time in post match interviews airing false grievances. That claim is about as bizarre as Aldritts tbh.

• Advertisement

The JGP one I don't remember. The Ringrose one he gets to his feet and exits the ruck, doesn't interfere with the clearout on Ngatai at all, and equally Ngatai is on the ball long before there is an issue here.

On Ala'alatoa - it made no odds. Kelleher essentially got the yellow that he should have gotten.

The decisions I'm highlighting are clearly different - he was ultra quick to give LAR advantage when on the Leinster line, but blatantly ignored multiple obvious penalties a few mins later when Leinster are down there. He was never going to award the penalty to decide the game.

There's a clear post highlighting up above that immediately after their third try Ala'alatoa suffers an identical clear out to the one he gets a red for shortly afterwards.

If he correctly blows the penalty after the Henshaw, Sheehan or Ngatai penalties, it's a different game, and he 100% got the Doris call wrong, and that directly decided the game.

You're not comparing like for like here.

No, he puts his own spin on it - he called it a "bizarre action", reiterates what supposedly happened even though he wasn't there, and says "Greg was disappointed and let down". He then carries on with the other completely incorrect nonsense about the post match function accommodation etc.

So, he is 100% also accusing James Ryan of disrespecting his player, not relaying a story.

And, I never suggested he didn't also praise his players etc, but why TF he's choosing to pedal this other small time nonsense anyway after they've just won a European Cup is classless.

FTD it's fairly obvious to me that they were fit, more physical and a better structured team. On any weekend people can complain about calls going against them. Regardless of missed calls etc, they made hay with mauls, they had a better scrum and they controlled the ball.

We can't blame the referee everytime we play them. At this stage, the decisions of Leo are baffling to me. JGP should have been yanked early, Molony should have been yanked instead of Conan.

Another point of interest, how is it Leinster can steamroll the Tigers? Absolutely hammer Toulouse and look so ordinary against LaR? The issues raised when playing LaR, are becoming moot. It's been the same drumbeat and really the question is where does Leo go from here. His squad is world class and here we are again. What does he do differently next time? He can talk small margins etc but, here he is talking about small margins, again!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This thread could run forever and still go absolutely nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It seems we choose not to play the same way against La Rochelle as we do against everyone else.

Maybe! But it's likely that LaR are are capable of beating up our plans and have the answers to out plans. We've yet to get on top of them physically.

On the ref, it is an important clarification on availing vs being biased.

• is he a good ref? No
    • was he biased? No. Missed lots for both teams.
    • Was he a ref that suited Leinster? No
    • Could another ref made a difference? Maybe

Absolutely spot on. Was at the game Saturday was lucky most of the guys around us were decent supporters who loved the game.we were also surrounded by Rochelle supporters who were passionate and great fun to be around. But there was also a lot of gobshites roaring abuse and what shocked me most was Munster supporters there cheering on Rochelle and delighted to see Leinster loose which really surprised me as I can't understand why all Irish supporters wouldn't support another Irish province in a final.dissapointing to see but i know I myself would like to see a Munster win this weekend even though I'm first a Leinster supporter.it can only be good for the Irish game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭trevezel

any comment about Sexton's behaviour with the referee ?

at half time, what is he doing in the tunnel ?

at the end of the game, he kept shouting after him, maybe a bit offended ?

Advertisement