Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster V Stade Rochelais. Champions Cup Final. Sat May 20, 16:45. Aviva Stadium, Dublin.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Another ref will always make a difference, no doubt about it. Rugby is an incredibly complex game to referee. If we’re going to continue with an on-field official making the big decisions as quickly as possible we have to accept controversial calls as a necessary feature of that. And I have to remind myself that I naturally pay more attention to reffing decisions that go against my team because I am biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Munster supporters were supporting the Munster lads more than anything else. I saw a decent number up from Nenagh wearing Nenagh jerseys supporting Donnacha Ryan for example. saw a few outside ground from Tralee doing same for Ultan Dillane. they were only there to support them and would have been there regardless of the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

We wore our Munster Jerseys for the game. Went to enjoy the game. Didn’t actively support either team during the day. But the constant snide remarks the whole way to the ground was tiresome. “Didn’t know Munster were playing today”

guy behind us constantly taking about “Munster Pricks”

another guy walks past us after the game and calls us “c**ts” under his breath.

and every other Munster fan we knew and met up there had similar experiences.

reminded us why we stopped going to games in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,250 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Plot twist. The translator got it wrong and it was clarified later on that Alldritt actually said Ryan eyeballed him rather than avoided eye contact. So it sounds like Alldritt and ROG aren't on the same page.

He's just running with the story and backing up his player regardless. It's absolutely nothing but he's not shy about firing a comment and that will always get under the skin of those who let it/aren't fans. On the other hand, his fans absolutely love it. There's a bit of an Eddie Jones vibe about how he creates narratives and thinks about the game and I mean that as a massive compliment. Lots of people strongly disliked EJ but he was brilliant at getting under the skin of others and engaging in a bit of verbal niggle to his own benefit.

I'm reminded of The Last Dance when MJ was reported to have been disrespected by LaBradford Smith who told Jordan "Nice game" after scoring 37 points on him. Jordan used it as motivation to destroy him the next time. But it was completely made up by Jordan just to create a narrative.

Whatever it takes for someone to get themselves motivated, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Maybe we should wait until we know happened before commenting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The JGP one is at 28:50 on the match clock.

Ringrose at 63:18. Gets up from tackling and clearly takes botia out of it before he can ruck ngati who then gets a turnover. Its blatant, obvious and right in front of the ref.

If you cant acknowledge that both of these should have been LAR penalties then your just completely biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Regardless of who you were shouting for on the day that kind of behaviour is ridiculous. You're entitled to cheer for whatever team you like or wear your club's colours without being subjected to abuse.

No club or province has a right to the support of another's fans. Rivalries exist in sport. If some Munster supporters cheered on La Rochelle because they dislike Leinster or because they were supporting O'Gara or because they like their crest they are completely entitled to do so. The bitching over it is so bloody stupid.

….with back to back European trophies and a league title to play for

Also i wonder will you hold johnny sextons behaviour to such high standards? I very much doubt it

Just looked at them there - the JGP one is the biggest nothing - burger I've ever seen - as opposed to "jumping on a player on the ground" like you've suggested, the reality is the player dives on the ball, and JGP slides to the ground alongside him, while keeping his feet, and he is entitled to do. It's 100% not a penalty at all.

On the Ringrose incident, he really clearly gets nudged in the back from a La Rochelle player (Kerr-Barlow) which causes him to stumble over the ruck. It has absolutely nothing to do with the contest on the ground between Botia and Ngatai, which should have resulted in a Leinster penalty instead of just a turnover.

And, fwiw, I'm not claiming Peyper didn't miss things throughout the game that were favourable to Leinster, but claiming these nothing incidents are the equivalent to refusing to give Leinster crucial penalties following turnovers in their own 22, or missing an incident identical to the one you red card a player for a few mins later, or refusing to give Leinster a penalty for numerous repeated infringements on the LAR tryline is not remotely an equivalence.

That settles that so.

You cant see anything only blue. Two clear as day penalties and your jumping through hoops in some poor effort to mitigate them into something else.

best of luck to you.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's just stupid behavior from whoever them gobshites are who done that. As I say I would genuinely be delighted to see Munster win this weekend.im a Leinster supporter but mostly a rugby supporter I've absolutely nothing against any team I often go to Connaught matches just to watch and would love to go thomond to watch a munster game. I just couldn't understand the lads who felt the need to go out of there way to tell Leinster supporters that they are munster fans and start gloating after the match. Even the Rochelle supporters didn't do that 🤣🤣

We don't know what Johnny did, there has only been some nonsense headlines, but we definitively know what O'Gara did. If it comes out that Sexton was in the wrong, then I'll rightly criticise him for that too.

O'Gara is simultaneously an incredible coach with a great record and an insufferable and classless individual. O'Gara is also the one who has been suspended multiple times for making comments towards match officials, so bit rich to be coming out with that.

Okay - go on then - does Ringrose or does he not get nudged in the back by Kerr-Barlow, changing his trajectory and sending him into the ruck? There is absolutely no way Ringrose could be penalised for that incident when it's clear as day Kerr Barlow hits him.

JGP is on his feet contesting for the ball in the incident you're claiming he dived on a player on the ground in.

This isn't jumping through hoops, they're fairly pathetic examples on your part of the supposedly "numerous" incidents Leinster got away with yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I think it is officially a “storm in teacup” reading Thornley today.

But why did they feel the need to stop ROG talking to the ref than actually focusing on talking to their own team on second half strategy?

Reportedly, ROG spoke with Barnes last year at half time and they wanted to prevent the same thing happening again.

SOB is not part of the match day coaching team. He wouldn't be speaking to the team at half time.

I suspect it's a lot of absolutely nothing that a few overly eager journalists wanted to create a big story about.

Because he did the exact same thing a year previously where he tried to bully Wayne Barnes at half time in Marseille.

It's also, of course, more than possible for them to both those things at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Nope, contact skills coach. He works with them during the week. Might be involved in the warm up, I suppose. But when it comes to the overall plan and team talks etc., he's not in that group. He doesn't even travel with the team to away games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,264 ✭✭✭✭phog

Jaysus, the emotive language being used in relation to ROG, did he piss in someone's breakfast. I suppose it's brilliant to have something to get off your chest after your team lost two weeks running, blame the ref, blame the ref, blame the ref and have a cut off the coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭scott1974

Nothing will come of it, a bit of handbags at best.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/2023/05/21/epcr-likely-to-investigate-allegations-of-tunnel-row-involving-ronan-ogara-and-johnny-sexton/

• Advertisement

Heaven forbid there is any criticism of poor old Munster lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Only time that has ever happened with me with the jersey thing at a Heineken Cup final is with Leinster fans. I was at my first of ten or so in the early 2000s and have always worn my Munster jersey. Would see fans with Wasps/Toulon/their own club/wherever jersey on and the only time I've ever had hassle was from Leinster fans the couple times I was there when they won - comments, squaring up to me in the street after winning it. Made me wonder if they mouthed off to Wasps fans too that day about wearing their jersey.

Incidentally I was in a butchers last week just before the URC semi and the butcher and another customer (both in the 60s, died in the wool fans) were both saying how they don't go to Munster matches in Dublin any more 'cos of that sort of stuff. I'd associate it more with soccer fans in the UK. I haven't been up in five or six years to the Horseyhouse or Landsdowne and have no real desire to to be honest. I'm not alone in that amongst supporters down this way.

All that being said, I'm sure it goes both ways with Munster fans goading too. There's idiots following every club, I've seen and heard embarrassing things on the terrace amongst our own over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Thats really disappointing.

Was there and saw plenty of jerseys from connacht, leicster, gloucster, tolouse, claremont etc etc.

Kinda meant to be a festival of rugby vibe where you wear your club

I'm already planning on getting tickets for next years final and if leinster don't make it i'll still be wearing a leinster jersey. Would anticipate a bit of gentle ribbing (like the "didn't know they were playing") but not actual nasty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

we'd the same, three of us, aside form the snide comments, we'd a fella belt down the stairs grab us by the collars and call us "disgraces to irish rugby"

we've downs this fixture for years, never seen the like before

There's criticism and then there's ott borderline abuse, ref being called a cheat, using terms like prickish behaviour because knowing calling a coach a prick would be against the forum charter.

Look, I really don't mind if that's the level of acceptance here but I know I'd be very disappointed with my kids if I heard it from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭scott1974

One time I went to match in a jersey and someone shot me and kidnapped my child ..

That's pathetic behavior. A shame to hear that. Turning into soccer fans kind of stuff

Calling prickish behaviour prickish behaviour shouldn't be seen as controversial, but if it's too sensitive for you and your poor kids, feel free to head on back to the Munster thread.

There's class and there's sour grapes.

ROG has class and so too do my kids, thankfully.

• Advertisement

It's nothing to do with sour grapes - the way he's behaved is an embarrassment to him and La Rochelle, and detracts from his incredible achievements as a coach.

Why Munster fans feel the need to defend him is beyond me - there isn't some slight at Munster here, it's people rightfully pointing out that how he behaved after this is classless.

Advertisement