Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Obviously it would be players the IRFU wanted developed, so if available from another province an approach should be made.

And because we will have 2 senior tight head props turning 36 next season. James French should get as much game time as possible and then Munster will have a gap to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I would expect the other three provinces to always have less than Leinster in the academy.

I could see an argument for Oji and Edogbo coming in, especially if edogbo is changing positions as rumoured.

The third one… I’d talk to charlie Sheridan in Leinster honestly. He’s been amazing in AIL and he doesn’t seem to be totally on the leinster radar. Kiely also has been good in AIL albeit in a lower division i think. Or, Costello?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

In TH we will have Ryan, Archer and Salanoa next season as senior players. Gives us some breathing room to allow academy players to develop and provide some depth for the URC

We should have all 3 available during the international windows too, although Salanoa is a possible bolter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Right boys, our provincial session is your hands. Do us proud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I'll just leave this here, gave me a chuckle! Nice to see ROG cement his place as a top coach, happy as well for the other Irish involved in the La Rochelle setup.

On to the other final now... no matter the result this has been a very successful season all things considered, especially where we were after 8 or 9 games. Lot of young players got game-time, Rowntree and co. are putting their stamp on the team (Leamy especially, what a defence). I think it'll be a big ask but as long as we put in a decent performance I'm happy, anything else after that is a bonus. Silverware would be incredible.

Will RG be back? I'd love to see Edogbo get a bench slot, I've a feeling he's going to be a big player for us next season if he can stay fit.

Munsters season has already been a success. We've achieved all our pre-season objectives. Getting this far in year 1 of a new coaching team after the transformation they achieved this season is a win

That said, going to Capetown again and managing to beat the reigning champions on their home turf in a Championship final...

It would be epic

That was really special for RoG after his mother had a brain injury this year and is still recovering from it

I wonder were the Foleys there as guests of the ERC, Leinster, IRFU or LAR. They obviously had access to the field.

As an aside, I remember Guy Noves being held to the ground and I think arrested for entering the playing field to celebrate with his team after Toulouse winning a final in Edinburgh. He had an access pass but gave it to someone else to use and the stewards/police must have thought he was a member of the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Guests of EPCR. They were presenting Anthony Foley trophy after the game

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

So how do we beat Stormers?

Fekitoa and Frisch back together in midfield will make a massive difference. But perhaps best not to get too enthusiastic on the blitz, as Libbok will be more than happy to exploit any gaps or creases you give him.

RG will hopefully be back so the pack can go full monster mode, i.e., back 5 of Kleyn, RG, Beirne, POM and Coombes. Should do the trick at shoring up the lineout and maul; scrum will always be a worry but hopefully Archer's decent recent form will continue.

9 is an interesting call. It'll be interesting to see if Casey's superb performance in the Aviva will be rewarded, or whether the steady hand and superior defense of Murray will be favoured.

Then do you put Nash back in, who has been superb this year, or does Earls keep his place?

A lot spots otherwise pick themselves:

Starters: Loughman, Barron, Archer, Kleyn, Snyman, Beirne, Deus Belli, Coombes, Murray, Crowley, Nash, Fekitoa, Frisch, Daly, Haley

Bench: Scannell, Wycherley, Salanoa, Wycherley, Hodnett, Casey, Healy, Earls

It'd be harsh on JOD and Scannell after two great performances last week, but I reckon they'll be the two to miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Good team, I wonder will we go with a 6-2 split, if we do I wonder does Earls miss out. In spite of me wanting Edogbo I can't see them dropping Fineen from the bench.

I'd start Murray too, he's the best scrum half in the country under pressure at the ruck (he got plenty of practice at that with us until we sorted that out a couple of months ago!)

I think you need to go 6-2 with Kendellan on the bench, but that is risky.

6-2 wouldn't be massively risky if you put Scannell at 23.

Or I'm sure Murray could slot in at 10 and do a resonabl-ish job.

With Healy on the bench you could also push crowley to 12/15 if you had to.

Actually, yeah, Healy at 23 covers a lot more risks.

If we have a healthy squad to pick from then I'd go with the 5-3 split on the bench, if there's a doubt with RGS or POM then I'd chance 6-2 but I think you shouldn't be risking anything with your bench for a final. Either way there's going to be a few players that will be disappointed not to be in the 23.

Munster have named their travelling squad:

Munster Travelling Squad

Forwards: Dave Kilcoyne, Jeremy Loughman, Josh Wycherley; Diarmuid Barron, Niall Scannell, Scott Buckley; Stephen Archer, Roman Salanoa; Tadhg Beirne, Jean Kleyn, RG Snyman, Fineen Wycherley; Gavin Coombes, John Hodnett, Alex Kendellen, Jack O’Donoghue, Peter O’Mahony.

Backs: Craig Casey, Ethan Coughlan, Conor Murray; Joey Carbery, Jack Crowley, Ben Healy; Malakai Fekitoa, Antoine Frisch, Rory Scannell; Shane Daly, Keith Earls, Mike Haley, Calvin Nash.

No massive surprises; but no Knox, Edogbo or Ahern.

Big news is the HIA guys from Glasgow all seem to be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

My 23 from that is

Loughman, Scannell, Archer

Kleyn, RG

Beirne, POM, Coombes

Murray, Crowley

Fekitoa, Frisch

Daly, Nash, Haley

Bench: Barron, Wycherley, Salanoa, Wycherley, Hodnett, Casey, Healy, Earls

• Advertisement

Double header for Munster women & men v The BaBaas on Sat 30th September

Officials for Saturday

DHL Stormers v Munster

DHL Stadium, Cape Town – KO 17.30 IRE & UK / 18.30 ITA & SA

Referee: Andrea Piardi (FIR, 36th league game)

AR 1: Mike Adamson (SRU) AR 2: Craig Evans (WRU)

TMO: Ben Whitehouse (WRU)

Happy enough with the ref, I thought Hollie Davidson might get to be involved somewhere in that group.

Looks like one of Kendellen, Earls or Hodnett will miss the 23.

If we go 6-2, it'll be Earls.

If we go 5-3 it'll be Kendellen, imo.

I'm having Earls in the 23 but that could well be heart over head

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

That could be good craic. Could watch Scotland the Romania match after too. Wonder when the 1st round of the URC is due to start? In 2019 it was around that weekend as far as I remember.

Saw somewhere (on Boards) that the URC isn't starting until later in the RWC this year

I think the fella from URC said they'll start around the Semi Finals of the RWC, he was interviewed on PSOM a week or so ago.

Are you only allowed to take a set number?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Ah had missed that, nice one. Guess that inevitably pushes out the season by a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Well this season we had a break for the autumn internationals and we can run another week or two as the Top14 is still in progress.

For those who'll play in the knockout games next season and then go on Summer tour they're won't be much of a rest

Advertisement