Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like they're really doubling down on the one-shot set pieces in the sequel; certainly that gimmick is quite popular these days across the genre. Superficially it looks cool, but there's always just something too slick, too processed with these CGI assisted "oners"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Oof, that exterior CGI at the end of the train scene... Might be YT compression but if not it's pretty poor.

I remember the first film having good action and a better character performance from Hemsworth than is usually the case in something like this but the plot was kind of meh. I don't see that improving since the Russos are still involved. Personally I think I'll probably rewatch Lost Bullet and then watch Lost Bullet 2 before deciding if I'll bother with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I thought the fire looked fake in the prison yard scene, but apparently they really set him on fire for that. So what do I know?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For me, a long one-shot take (or a really well-done faux one-shot take) only really works if you can admire the craft and choreography on display - the cinematic engineering that went into staging the scene - or if it really enhances the tension or drama of a scene. Cutting to another shot is a key feature of cinematic language, so you really want to have a good reason to defy it.

When it’s clearly a bunch of short scenes stitched together in post and full of bad CG / green screen stuff, I struggle to see the point. If anything, it highlights dodgy effects and inconsistencies more that if you’d simply cut away to a different shot that’d mask the effects more effectively. The fact that CG tends to look worse on 4K, HDR streaming platforms anyway means it’d look even less convincing that it would on a big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

• Registered Users Posts: 31,691 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That approach to Birdman makes sense I think, being set in the world of theatre. A one-take (with hidden cuts) style is kind of justified and motivated since it's rooted in the context of living and dying by what happens on the night, in the moment, with no do-overs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Birdman at least had a purpose, wanting to really show the inner chaos of a theatre without ever breaking stride. By and large it was still just a bunch of actors hitting their markers on cue to maintain the flow. I believe digital trickery was only used to stitch large tracts together. These CGI based oners often use FX as the first response, the entire set piece formed from a lot of small moments stitched together - with my own eye spotting that excessively slick, digital tracking.

And it's not like you can't do oner action scenes, it just takes a lot of planning and choreography. Effort, basically. And money I suppose but what was at first a fun gimmick just doesn't surprise me. Maybe these digital oners astound others, I just find them really floaty and fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This might indeed be true Tickles, but the professional reviews haven't been too kind either. Apparently the history leaves a lot to be desired and the acting in the re-enactment parts is meant to be woeful.

As a keen reader of history, I'm almost tempted to give it a go just to see how bad it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

McGREGOR FOREVER (2023) Limited Series Conor McGregor's brutal strikes and trash-talking swagger made him the UFC's biggest draw. This rousing docuseries follows his dynamic career...

Fanfic (2023) (Polish) Two high school students form an intense connection as they navigate the challenges of discovering and expressing their truest selves.

Working: What We Do All Day (2023) Limited Series For some, it's a paycheck. For others, it's a calling. This docuseries explores the meaning of work for modern Americans in a time of rapid change.

Faithfully Yours (2022) (Dutch) Using each other as alibis, two friends sneak off to indulge in secret affairs -- but their elaborate web of lies unravels when one of them goes missing...

Rhythm + Flow France season 2 (2022) French rappers freestyle, battle and write their way to a game-changing 100,000 euro prize in a music competition series judged by Niska, Shay and SCH..

ALL THE HARRY POTTER & FANTASTIC BEASTS MOVIES have been added ( *ive not seen any of them so i think its all of them )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not a big fan of Birdman, and I think the faux one-shot approach sometimes detracts as much as it impresses. But I do think it's at least a motivated decision there, and there are definitely moments when it's a smart call with some impressive choreography afoot.

A lot of my favourite filmmakers routinely use very long takes indeed (whether classic filmmakers like Godard or Tarkovsky, or more modern ones like Bela Tarr, Hong Sang-soo or Ming-liang Tsai), so it's not something I'm opposed to at all. I wouldn't call myself the biggest Gaspar Noe fan in general, but I think his long-take approach in Enter the Void, Vortex and especially Climax creates a sort of hypnotising effect as the films descend into hell.

I loved the bold approach to the second half of Long Day's Journey Into Night a few years ago - a rare case of a sequence best seen in 3D:

Although, of course, I Am Cuba is always mentioned in such discussions about impressive one-take shots for good reason: the sheer outrageous craft on display remains close to unparalleled:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Has anyone seen this? It was done in one take

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Ark

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

I’m no cinefile and unsure if it was stitched together or not, but the opening scene in Athena (on Netflix, and would recommend) was very impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Regarding one shot action, I always loved this video explaining the car chase in Raid 2. It's not that long (a minute maybe) and not really that complicated, I just think it's really cool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Children of Men

Daredevil season 3

Victoria

These are the main "oners" I can think of that I enjoyed. In particular I liked the Daredevil one because of how tired Charlie Cox clearly was. These days when I hear about it I just see it as a gimmick.

Oh yeah, jaysus how did I forget that... cos that film was intense. Pretty much the entire film was a oner. There's a 40 minute documentary about how this was made: and by and large, it looks like they really did just have a camera & boom mics follow a bunch of guys as they threaded through the chaos of a riot. Film itself is on Netflix and would urge anyone curious about oners to watch it; the very last scene was shíte, but the movie beforehand? Chef's kiss.

Even a moment I might have sworn was done with CGI, wasn't: specifically at 5 minutes in the doc, when the camera floats out of a van as it speeds away. CGI? Nope, they just had someone in the van pass the gyroscopic camera to someone on a motorbike as it ran parallel with the van. Madness!

Selling Sunset season 6 (2023) The elite agents at The Oppenheim Group sell the luxe life to affluent buyers in LA. Relationships are everything, and that often means major drama..

White Boy (2017) This true-crime documentary exposes new facts about alleged teen drug lord "White Boy Rick" and his lesser-known role as an FBI informant

Muted season 1 (2023) (Spanish) Sergio hasn't spoken since he murdered his parents six years ago. Now, a psychiatrist aims to uncover what happened through a twisted investigation.

Costco: Is It Really Worth It? (2022) This documentary special dives into the inner workings of the popular members-only wholesaler to determine whether it's worth the price of admission.

Astérix & Obélix: The Middle Kingdom (2023) 1hr 51m [PG] (French) Gallic heroes and forever friends Asterix and Obelix journey to China to help Princess Sa See save the Empress and her land from a nefarious prince..

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Well muted was a wild ride

it’s one of those ones where you mutter wtf to yourself throughout!

the guardians review is hilarious

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/may/19/muted-review-netflix-spanish-drama

Attack the Block (2011) When aliens attack South London, a teen gang bands together to protect their turf, but extraterrestrials prove to be much tougher than a rival gang

Micky Flanagan: The Out Out Tour (2011) The "working-class boy done good" tackles wine drunkenness, digestive fears while traveling abroad and the class divide in this special filmed in Essex

Micky Flanagan: Back in the Game (2013) The East End comic takes the stage in his hometown of London to dish on awkward doctor's visits, married life, processed meats and easy-listening radio

Dark Money season 1 (2019) When a boy is abused while shooting a Hollywood film, his family accepts a payout from a producer for their silence and faces a series of challenges

The Cry season 1 (2018) A young woman crumbles after her baby disappears. Though the public is quick to place blame, the truth proves to be more complicated.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Excellent, wanted to watch Attack the Block for years after listening to the Adam Buxton podcast

• Advertisement

Funny that in the month Netflix kills Joe Cornish's TV show the service throws up his first (best?) film. Recently rewatched the thing and it really holds up;

• Registered Users Posts: 12,578 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I recommend Darkest Hour, Gary Oldman in the lead as Churchill does the film proud.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

He's only done two films right? And The Kid Who Would Be King doesn't even come close to Attack The Block imo

MerPeople (2023) Welcome to the whimsical world of professional mermaiding, where people's passion for swimming in fins has exploded into a half-billion-dollar industry. From the producers of Queer Eye 

Victim/Suspect (2023) When a journalist digs into a case of a woman charged with falsely reporting a rape, a pattern emerges: authorities turning the tables on victims..

Wanda Sykes: I'm an Entertainer (2023) The comedy icon sounds off on parenting with her French wife, the perils of public bathrooms and why she's tired of going high when others go low.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

McGregor doc series was fantastic. Footage after losing, you never get to see that. Most interesting aspect of it all.

UFC have zero characters on their roster, he elevated the sport. Don't see anyone eclipsing what he accomplished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭jj880

It all kicked off about McGregor as a person in this thread last time this series was mentioned which I found a bit odd.

As a docuseries this was a fascinating look behind the scenes. Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Boards is known for people arguing over the most mundane topics. Doesn’t take much to enraged folks. Glad you liked the doc. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The last Mcgregor documentary movie was very good too. But even better was the 6 or 8 episode series that I think RTÉ did, or it was just aired on RTÉ, it was him in the early days. His funny and unique personality really shine through. It was nothing but positive stuff from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭jj880

Netflix: How much action?

Arnold: yes!

• Advertisement

Advertisement