Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

€42 million quid a month…every month

Think of the opportunity cost involved in all this - how the hell are their people calling for the continuation of this at current levels. Extremely short sighted and reckless - our housing situation and health and education services well beyond capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Meanwhile there are charity fundraisers trying to raise money for various health services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

There's a big scandal somewhere behind this. Lumping 100's of men from completely different cultures into rural areas with no employment as is (or services etc.) literally makes no sense. The results will be seen in 20-30yrs but by then all these current eejits in power will be on a beach somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

While the cost of living will top out as our greatest concern come election time, this issue will certainly be higher up the chain than it ever was. Some people are making a lot of money out of all this. At what point will just about every currently empty habitable building be in use?

The government must be praying and hoping the numbers taper off, but even if they do, it is likely every town will have its own modular refugee scheme, if not more than one. We are adding to the DPs here, not removing them. Go on a decade and those moving into these from now, which is supposed to be temporary accommodation, will be complaining why they are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So we are spending half a billion a year and growing and whatever we pay in foreign aid aswell.

While at the same time we can't afford to pay guards and nurses etc a proper wage.

Workers are paying a huge amount of tax for inadequate services which are getting worse by the day.

While their kids have more chance of renting in Australia than in there own town or city and a big reason so many move abroad.

We are putting money into educating irish kids to benefit Australia and Canada etc while replacing them with unvetted males who offer nothing to Ireland.

I know the people who are pushing for this are making a fortune but surely you would feel a bit ashamed or guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Fine Gael promised in 2011 to end Direct Provision. They made many promises in 2011.

Some reporters were following the money long before the current spike in numbers.

April 2020

Special Report: How accommodating asylum seekers turned into a billion-euro industry (irishexaminer.com)

Special Report: How accommodating asylum seekers turned into a billion-euro industry.

The largest earner in terms of government-contracted accommodation is Mosney Holiday PLC, which, as of 2017, received €139,577,808. Director Phelim McCloskey and his wife Elizabeth are owners of the former Butlin’s holiday camp, the 300-acre Mosney Direct Provision centre in Co Meath, which houses 600 asylum seekers.

The couple donated €6,500 to Fianna Fáil in 2008.

The State has also paid Bridgestock Ltd €109,457,663 since 2002.

It has housed more than 500 asylum seekers in Ballyhaunis in Co Mayo and in Sligo, and is directed by Seamus and Michael Gillen.

Galway businessman Eoghan McGinty is no longer a director, after resigning in 2017. In 2011, shares were transferred to an offshore company registered in the British Virgin Islands.

Millstreet Equestrian Services, with an address in Tipperary, provides accommodation under the direct-provision system, in Cork, Tipperary, and Waterford, with directors listed as Noel C Duggan and Thomas A Duggan. They were paid €77,244,129 from 2000 to 2017.

and on and on ....

“You’re dealing with a system which has been outsourced, like everything else in Ireland. It’s run by private operators, totally ill-equipped to deal with the emotional and social needs of the people in centres; you’re dealing with an unsympathetic department.” Mr Ó Ríordáin recounts the day that the McMahon report was launched in 2015 as a crystalising moment for him.

“The NGOs stayed in the discussions because they could feel something was going to happen. At the end of the day, my understanding was that this was a compromise document between the Government and the NGOs, so all of it would be carried out. Every word had been pored over, so it wasn’t an aspirational document.

“So we launched it in the National Library and I remember being asked by the press our response to it and I said ‘This is going to be implemented’, but the minister [Frances Fitzgerald] said that it was ‘food for thought’. I knew then this wasn’t going to happen.”

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

It is somewhat amusing that the 'NGOs' get flak here whereas it is the private operators who are making a killing, no more evermore so than now, It is the Celtic Tiger all over again for some. It is a very common government policy just to outsource, and outsource.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

People have been highlighting the private operators making a killing all through this thread.

The problem with the NGO's is they are mostly paid by government funding anyway but presented in the media as do gooders whereas in reality they have skin in the game getting highly paid for extremely cushy jobs doung absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

I'm a bit torn between the 2 arguments about immigrants. I can see both sides, but I also appreciate it is complex. So, let's base this discussion on evidence/research/data.

I have 3 comments/questions - any opinions/answers to my questions appreciated.

1. If we allow immigrants from 'safe' countries (such as Brazil, South Africa, Georgia etc) then we have fewer resources for immigrants from Ukraine and other countries where they are being genuinely oppressed. This should be seen as purely economic migration and not allowed?
    2. Those arguing against point 1 - do you not accept that allowing immigration from countries like Brazil means less resources for indigenous Irish and genuine asylum seekers?
    3. Can anyone arguing for mass immigration point to any data/research that shows the cohort of immigrants that we are discussing here are any benefit to the host country? I have looked, but I can only find research that shows that such immigration (e.g. Sweden, Germany) is hugely detrimental to the host country.

Btw, I wholeheartedly welcome Ukranian refugees and others fleeing from war-torn and dangerous countries. The issue here is with economic migration from Georgia, Brazil, Algeria etc. Also, I am a teacher, and I see first-hand the huge pressures immigration is putting on our education system (it's not making it better when a child arrives in class who can barely speak English and has very poor skills - the amount of time and resources put into this one child is huge and takes away from the other children).

Actually they employ the actual housing and social care professionals, and believe you me, the work is far from cushy. When I was working I had a fair deal of involvement with them, so that's my experience of them. All run by volunteer boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Some tin foil hat conspiracy theories around here I see 🙄

You think economic migrant is a n insult? The majority of migrants are economic migrants, maybe the young backpackers are an exception.

Also, why do you think only Ukrainians are in need of somewhere safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I said several years ago on this site that immigration would become the biggest election issue yet, despite the efforts from those making money from it, chasing the kudos, or just too blind to see muddying it by dragging in other issues and whataboutery. Cause and effect.

This isn't about being right though. It's about the lost opportunity to change course and put a sustainable and fair (to all - not just the new arrivals) means of efficiently processing and deciding upon applications and before they are turned loose on the streets to fend for themselves/for "someone else" to sort out.

But, that ship has sailed, it's too late to turn back now (not that that's even on the agenda for the advocates in and outside of Government) and we're in for a very painful few years despite distraction tactics about a boogey-man "far right", how much money the country supposedly has, FG and their fondness for "feel good" referendums and so on.

Meanwhile the essential services get worse, we'll have an entire generation in 20/30 years who can't afford their private rents when their contracts end at 65, and the social divisions and problems we're seeing in the last few years will increase massively because the only approach being taken is the good ole "Ah shure it'll be GRAND!!" one so beloved of this country and Governments.

I'm afraid it won't "be grand" though - quite the opposite!

Proves gardai are doing their job well in bringing the perpetrators of crimes to justice.

Your post didn't show any raise in the number of violent crimes or sex assaults on killarney, or anywhere else in the country for that matter. I'm sure we can all post lots of court reports of criminals of all nationalities, majority Irish in Ireland, of course.

Are we just gonna flood the thread with court reports?

What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

SUVGirl - read the court reports and tell us what you think of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I would imagine the people who are out protesting and blocking buses and waving IRISH FLAGS how dare they do that, I bet the most of them arent very well educated and have too much time on their hands.

Irish people fled to the four corners of the globe and if there were the same social benefits then in those four corners of the globe then they would have been taken advantage of, but they weren't, so they had to work their asses off or else go back home.

So we have sent our people to every corner of the world due to economic circumstances, starvation and civil war and now we have the cheek to protest against people who are doing the very same thing in our country, cop on.

Its not great the way its being done but its the system not the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Hey don't forget, Irish people don't commit violent crimes on the island of Ireland nor in foreign countries, Violence, danger and sex crimes only started when them there foreigners started coming in, there's bad apples in all walks of life.

• Advertisement

He doesn't understand the.dublin.regulations. Or actually he probably does and just liked to stir rubbish

I read the court report you posted, what do you think I should think about it? I read court reports all the time. I still dont see your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

In a much worse state than it was before mass immigration.

Do a Google search and educate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Try it and see for yourself.

See above post.

We owe these chancers nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yes. Let’s be realistic here it’s probably a conspiracy to destroy the town and the people in the house will likely be military aged males who have come across the seas foaming at the mouth to commit all sorts of deviancy. The only wise course of action now would be to have a protest and scream at them when they arrive — and then ensure to dutifully record and report on every single instance where some foreign fella so much as makes someone feel uncomfortable by his mere presence in the post office.

Am I missing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

How many times do you read we went to the 4 corners of the earth . The answer we went to work not claim asylum or get benefits and if found to be illegal deported that is still the same today . This thread just repeats itself .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I see you read part anyway of some of that which I posted myself 2 or 3 days ago.

I made no claiim false or otherwise except that..

The majority of those seeking asylum are classed as refugees, UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE.

And what this means has been discussed here quite extensively among posters of different views.

Maybe you should try to read what people actually say and join the discussion instead of targeting posters without reading their posts.

I am sure someone will reply.. Not me however. Bye now.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

Take a walk around bury park in Luton or half Bradford as an openly gay man or trans and let me know how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Would these be the refugees, or those who are 'drafted in' to cause trouble??

Where are the links for these anecdotes?

Are they from dubious sites?

Advertisement