Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

Thanks, I know that is the official word, I get an email every now and then.

I was hoping for an insider opinion, or someone here that has seen it start.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭bemak

Rural Kerry - went to pre-order mid-march and ordered the very same day (was notified by local provider). Nearly 2 months since and NBI still saying available for pre-order online when I check the address. We're going with Digiweb and they said that it's usually live within 8 weeks but appreciate that everywhere is different. Hopefully it won't be too long more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Went ready to connect today so about 6 weeks from pre-order to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Six-One News, NBP report, half way stage of the plan.

7% of 569,000 premises connected.

No mention of premises passed which of course is the primary target of the NBP contract.

Media still focusing on the lower numbers.

According to the NBI website 24% of premises have been passed up to May 5th and so are available for connection when they choose to connect. 27% ready for order / pre-order. RTE did not bother to report this.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

NBI due to connect house on Monday next, but haven't told us a whole lot of details. Is it a connection through to a modem and what happens then? Do we contact our chosen service provider to connect us then?

• Advertisement

Place an order with your preferred service provider initially, they will then provide you with an appointment.

On the day the installer will run fibre from the DP on a pole or from a chamber to an agreed location in your house.

Fibre will be connected to an ONT in the house, it converts the optical signal to an electrical signal, a router is then connected to the ONT.

https://nbi.ie/faqs/ -> Getting Connected

Post edited by The Cush on

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

From what iv seen lately, you likely won't actually be installed on the day. They will probly send a single engineer to survey first. You then might get a new install date, but you also may not.

I would attempt if you can to get a new install date from the surveyor. This is a mistake I think I made of not doing this. I'm waiting 4 weeks since my survey and no install date and no contact apart from sending a pole crew(no notice of arrival) that couldn't get to where my pole was to go cause they had no digger. I presume a mistake from the surveyor. Others I know get install date and appointments made for any works needed.

Maybe it's just luck on what surveyor you get.

Post edited by Eleusis on

Thanks guys. The pole is up and beside the house so hopefully there will be no problems, I'm at work on the Monday they arrive, would I need to be there? My wife is home on the day but she's not very tech savvy.

Provider is called e-broadband, we've used them for the last year to get half decent mobile broadband, and had no problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Imbeginning to think Circnet may have taken too much on without being able to hire enough competent staff.

My mother in law got her survey on her install date. They determined that she needed a hoist and trees trimmed.

A few weeks ish later a crew arrived and said they determined they couldnt do anything because they needed a hoist. They said they would try and get a hoist.

A few days later a hoist crew came and determined they couldnt do anything becuase they needed trees trimmed. They said they wouldnt be able to do this until september.

Thats some serious watsed time by Cirnet, considering this was all figured out on survey.

A few things to note on that. There is currently a copper cable connected to the poles they say need trees trimmed on. Not once does the copper cable come within a foot of tree. As far as iv seen all along the roads they dont seem to care about trees and often the cable is actually touching trees. Why care now? Also really 5 months to get a few trees trimmed?

I had similar incompetence at my own install where they didnt send a pole crew with a digger. (determined on survey).

Post edited by Eleusis on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

The five month wait is likely down to ban in tree cutting due to nesting season

Ah that makes sense. I thought there must have been a reason

we were booked in for today - chap called this morning and was happy with everything. However he wanted to run a new line from the pole to the house because he said he wouldn't be allowed up on flat roof to bring it in where the existing line is. I didn't like the idea of two separate phone lines coming in off the pole so we agreed to put it in where the existing line is - he'll just need to get a cherrypicker to allow him to install it there. So we've been put back a few days now until a cherrypicker becomes available. better to do it right. hopefully I'm not waiting weeks now mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

That's a bit confusing. It sounds like you don't want a second overhead line from the pole (one copper, one fibre), which I understand for aesthetic reasons. So is it running underground from the pole, then travelling up the side of the building and entering the gable where the existing phone line goes in (on top of the flat roof I think) ?

You'll be delighted once it's all sorted.

Apologies for not being clear. What I want is the new fibre line to come in along with the existing copper wire overhead. Two together - as opposed to one wire connected to one side of the house and then another fibre line connected to the opposite side

Tech called this morning, install went fine, he tested the line before he left and said everything was ok. I plugged in the modem from my provider and nothing. I rang the provider they did a reset but nothing. I see on the NBI box that the data light isn't working, the provider has opened a ticket with NBI. Anyone know how long this will take? the tech is next door in the morning doing the neighbors install.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

Same happened my brother. Day of install the data light went red and no connection.

He logged it with DigiWeb and the same engineer was back the next day and fixed all

• Advertisement

Got the call yesterday to say the engineer couldn't make it and we've been put back until tomorrow.

We'll need an overhead line coming from the opposite side of the road to bring the cable to our pole so I'd imagine it'll be a quick visit to arrange a cherry picker.

Don't they disconnect the copper line internally anyway after you get fibre? Or in Vodafone's case they actually disconnect the copper when you order /preorder fibre.

So shouldn't you just snip the copper cable and say bon voyage to it?

I'd hope so but I won't assume anything. Where the line is coming in at the moment makes sense. If it went where they wanted to put it, it would be over the main garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Hi All, I've been signed up for NBI updates for my parents house and got the 'Ready to preorder' email yesterday morning (finally!). I was going to look into what that meant and do some research on the providers etc last night but got a call from them yesterday evening to say that Eir had already done door to door yesterday and they'd signed up. I've seen some negative comments about Eir on here and remember them having a poor reputation. Saying that I'm a mobile customer and have had no issues at all.

How have people found them for NBI internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭doc22

Moving to broadbanc do you automatically lose the copper connection or do you have to pay the additional line rental to keep it?

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Depends, do you wish to keep your copper phone line provider, separate to your broadband provider.

Otherwise the copper line becomes redundant.

Copper lines will be decommissioned in the coming years, Comreg will be publishing a plan to do this in the next few months.

Kn were out today. Engineer wasn't told he'd have to cross the main road with the line so an hour delay waiting for the hoist.

Duct was blocked so he went overhead to the gable. Installed box inside and then discovered the DP wasn't terminated properly so he'll be back after nbi sort the DP.

Looking like 2 more weeks until we're connected.

Fair play to the kn lad, he put in some shift today and the look of disappointment on his face when it didn't connect said it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭jonnreeks

HI ALL,

Anyone from the Cobh area that has got the 'Ready to pre-order' text recently?

I received one this week, which I understand from post on the this forum will be for an engineer to survey first, followed by an installation date to go live. I intend to have the standard 500GB set-up first and experience this upgrade for a period before deciding if I need an increase in speed.

Just wondering if the Cobh area has gone live or is in the process of being put in a position to offer this facility on a area basis?

Thanks 🙄 N

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

Its available for preorder in Athy.

Oh my god I can't contain my excitement.

Advertisement