Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Pulp haven’t even sold st Anne’s park as their long waited reunion show here, can’t sell 10,000. All the others have sold out multiple 3 arenas or wouid (Fred again).

it’s likely Ava max as second headliner for Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Pulp not selling out St. Anne’s fits in nicely with the delayed announcement.

Ava Max sadly fits in with much of EP 2023, but not as a sub-headliner to The Killers. All to be revealed.

Pulp tour ends nearly two months before EP, limited to no chance of them being second Sunday headliner.

Latitude is six weeks before EP. Pulp and Suede the least likely of the five acts I’ve mentioned but the Pulp deal with FR still makes them a possibility.

I expect one decent significant such act, several young indie crews and Bicep to be added. There may not be a deluge of bands but in terms of acts this 70k festival is far from complete at present.

The others, Foals, wet leg and YYY’s aren’t headliner level.

they may well be announced for next tier of acts.

• Advertisement

Full disclosure- the headliners have already been announced.

And let’s wait for the next announcement rather than further bore other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Nailed it. On both counts.

Also, you two should just get a room and figure out your unresolved feelings for each other.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

The room will have pie charts, venn diagrams and expenditures.

Sexy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on EOTR. I've spent the day trawling through that lineup on a superficial level and what a day I've had. Not a word of a lie, there are 60 acts I'd happily watch on that list, most of whom I'd never heard of before. I haven't had a day's homework like that for EP in a long time. I feel those days of convincing myself that 8 or 9 acts on a lineup, 5 of whom I've seen before, is enough are gone. I'm not posting this to dump on EP, I have absolutely loved it and spent a decade telling people how brilliant it is but there are people like us out there still trying to do festivals right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

“The record’ by boy genius is an absolute classic already, cracking album!

But is their show on Aug28th in Kilmainham a little premature? I expect and hope to see them at EP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

The debate on acts and demographic is tiring, but I have align with seathrun66!

Does anyone for a second actually think this festival sold out on the 2019/22/23 lineup! Of course not, it’s sold out from a slow, solid build up that’s taken a decade and more, repeatable performance spread across multiple demographic and genres ‘ word of mouth’ from pleased punters has spread through families, schools and work places, 600,000+ tickets sold 04’ current day, it’s touched so many people who have attended or seen loved ones heading off for the weekend, followed by SO Me coverage the odd bit of tv or radio, fomo and envy has spread through all walks of life. This hype and reputation gives EP it’s ticket demand.

Those on here long enough remember a time when Qxegen and EP ran in parallel. If you had to bet on which one would survive, most would have favoured Oxegen, large capacity and stellar lineups, but eventually pigeon holed into one off putting category; pissed up, puking, tent burning 18/19 year old post leaving certs.

Sure you can focus on here and now and say that X demographic only needs Y but this is a fairly risky strategy ultimately over reliant on a fickle 18-24 year old audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Rock en seine final lineup tomorrow. Maybe some crossover, new touring names

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well said Fatfrog, its constantly exasperation from me with the way the Picnic has changed, why change such a successful model so much. I really hope like Seath said that Bicep are in the later announcement. The festival built up that reputation of having a barnstorming electronic act over the weekend that gave Electric Picnic its name, so hopefully that might still happen. Most of the festivals seemed to have dropped the reggae act in Sunday afternoon or evening, including Body&Soul who have hosted the Congos and Max Romeo in the past. Last Sunday reggae act I remember was the Wailers at ATN 2019 and has been discontinued since.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Final word: it changed the model cause festival republic want more profits and thus increased capacity to 70,000 from 46,000 in 2014.

as someone else posted the profits for last decade the profits have increased so it’s working for them.

more capacity means it needs and can afford more arena level acts.

also we are 20 plus years into festival expansion in europe. Things have changed.

Wise, I think, you can plan the trip knowing what you’re going to be watching. Feel free to check in here in August while we’re still speculating.

Wilco alone make the trip worth it. And a big recommendation are Congolese crew Kokoko! Superb live and not to be confused with Kokoroko who are also there. Enjoy.

Kokoko! sound amazing. And there are dozens of others, weird, kooky brilliant stuff that I'd love to see in Stradbally. I had to physically restrain myself from posting about them in here as I was listening yesterday. All the best with it lads, hope there are a few decent additions between now and September.

Enjoy it, line up is very solid. Recommend catching Moin

When is the last year that EP, with an eclectic range of acts, didn’t sell out?

I think we’ll get another dozen or more acts worth seeing, but mostly those decent young Irish acts you can see in your hometown twice a year. There’s probably nothing to come to make you regret your decision.

I caught Kokoko! At Pohoda (Slovakia) four years ago. The sounds they make are a bit special and they’ll have a decent crowd as BBC6 used to plug them a lot. Very envious.

What’s the point of this question?

capacity more than doubled from 32k in 2013, 58k in 2018 to 70k in 2022.

booking a line up for 32k capacity is completely different situation than 70k.

the number of stages in the main arena haven’t expanded much if any in last decade, terminus the only real big addition in last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

At what precise point in terms of attendance is a festival in ireland to pivot / pander to pop and kids? Is it 50k? 60k?

Why is 70k so much different to 32k? To me you put on a good line up. They did this with the 2020 announcement. Since then not so much.

I don’t know ask festival republic about their booking policy.

do I really have to explain that doubling a festival capacity from 32k to 70k is going to affect the calibre of artists a festival can afford and decides to book?

First of all: you have to please more people.

what’s easiest way to please the most people? Book very popular and famous acts like Billie eillish, Lewis capaldi and Niall horan for your festival.

Booking likes of Bjork or other similar acts etc doesn’t have same pull as a Billie eillish or a Niall horan.

secondly you have a few million more money in the budget - this means you can afford more of these very famous and popular acts.

thirdly - acts that you liked in 2020 line up, for example if you liked RATM, they aren’t touring or others that liked from 2020 played last year.

In my opinion not much difference in type and nature of bookings in 2020 and 2023. Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Panda Bear & Sonic Boom the must see for me. Kokoko!, KG&TLW, The Murlocs, Deerhoof, Allah Las, Bar Italia (in Workmans in Sept.), 75 Dollar Bill, Ulrika Spacek, Horse Lords, Madmadmad, The Courettes, Teke Teke, Big Brave, Divide & Dissolve all goers for my ears.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Panda Bear and Sonic Boom not grabbing me yet, though I do like a lot of the Animal Collective stuff. From that list, Kokoko! the Murlocs, Allah Las, Ulrika Spacek, Teke:Teke and the Courettes made the big impression but as I say, the list is long. Just booked flights there. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

@Dreamweapon @Stillill42 our taste in music v similar gents.

You stated that EP needed a new model to sell 70k tickets. EP sold out the 70k capacity fest in 2020 ( delayed to 2022) and 2023 with no acts announced but simply based on its historically eclectic lineup. Gives a lie to the requirement for a new model.

As before, when did a creatively curated EP last fail to sell out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Come on lads. Let's all go.

Ah man, I’d love it but starts on the day my kids return to school. EP a hard sell, but a trip to England….

Will undoubtedly cross paths with you, @rubick, @Mucker46 and others in the next six months.

• Advertisement

i simply said booking a 32k festival in 2013 and a 70k festival in 2023 are different situations. The main difference situation is that EP has the money and need to concentrate on booking the biggest chart acts around in greater numbers than it could previously afford.

The people on here complaining that EP has lost it way by booking such acts.

personally I would say that the shift from 2017 to 2019 line ups pointed the line up in a more current chart/pop vein.

and honestly I don’t see the major change over the last 4 or so EP’s, it has been tweaked a bit but not reinvented over those years.

Advertisement