Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow town

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Thanks guys. Any clue how Keatingstown area is? Looks like they have some new builds there with sea views ��

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/the-oak-sea-scape-keatingstown-wicklow-town-wicklow/4415002

It's a lovely area, if buying a house there just check you know and are happy with how many steps there are up to it. I was very surprised to see as it was being built they didn't level the road off to the level of the houses and you have to walk up steps with all your shopping etc.

I occasionally walk into town from further along than there, but it is a 20 min walk up hill on the way back. Better getting dropped in if having a few drinks and walking home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Thanks everyone. Would you recommend a good solicitor in the area? Its going to be a new build so probably not as complicated as second hand homes so don't want to spend too much on an expensive solicitor I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fanta24

Thanks everyone. Would you recommend a good solicitor in the area? Its going to be a new build so probably not as complicated as second hand homes so don't want to spend too much on an expensive solicitor I guess.

Hi, sorry for jumping onto this thread, we recently moved to wicklow town from Dublin snd have to say we love it. There is a good few solicitors in the town each similar pricing if you call them up they will give you a break down on fees etc then you can make your decision. The 3 houses you sent links to are all very nice, carraig beag being the most spacious houses within a small estate, meadow gates I'm pretty sure phase 2 are all sold out except bungalows, there is a phase 3 though, same with seascrapes but again there is another phase soon. ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 6 navandude

Hi All,

Looking at properties in Wicklow Town recently and was wondering what it might be like along the Ballyguile Road? I am not familiar with the town and level 5 restrictions would not permit me to visit and try get a sense of the area at the moment.

Any advice or thoughts on this area or any other area of the town would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AnRiocht85

Hi there, hoping to hijack this thread instead of starting a new one 😄

I'm a culchie living in Dublin for far too long and looking forward to moving to Wicklow town or surrounding areas. I have two questions if anyone here wouldn't mind answering

A) is the gaelscoil primary school generally over subscribed? We have a 2 Yr old who we would love to get into a gaelscoil if possible. It would be a strong preference over any other school type/ethos.

We know that north wicklow (bray, greystones, delgany etc) school places are a big problem with far too many young families vs school places. Is that problem evident down as far as wicklow town also?

B) how do people living around the beach areas (brittas bay/magheramore) south of wicklow town find the summers? I assume it is generally very quiet and peaceful in the winters, and overrun with holiday-makers in the summer? Is that seen as a problem or bring about much trouble or anti-social behavior?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

navandude wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking at properties in Wicklow Town recently and was wondering what it might be like along the Ballyguile Road?

Any advice or thoughts on this area or any other area of the town would be greatly appreciated.

Only seeing this now so perhaps you already got sorted / decided.
    There are some nice houses up that way, many with good views over the bay.
    It is a good step, uphill, out of the town centre but is on the 133 bus route & close to the primary school & close enough to the Montessori school.
    There is also some social housing, new builds amongst them, further up that road but I don’t think there are other new builds currently. Open to correction on that.

AnRiocht85 wrote: »

B) how do people living around the beach areas (brittas bay/magheramore) south of wicklow town find the summers? I assume it is generally very quiet and peaceful in the winters, and overrun with holiday-makers in the summer? Is that seen as a problem or bring about much trouble or anti-social behavior?

I don’t know anything about schools other than there are some in the town, sorry!

As for Brittas Bay, I think the biggest problem tends to be an increase in traffic generally & as a consequence, inconsiderate parking. Even if the car parks aren’t full, some feel the need to park on verges etc.
    I wouldn’t have thought anti social behaviour otherwise is a huge thing although I’m sure there must be isolated incidents.
    Jack’s Hole & Ballinacarrig Park people seem to spend a good bit of their time in those resort areas, especially now that McDaniel’s is closed.
    But there is a good primary school & The Bay Cafe is a good spot too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bluebakes

navandude wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking at properties in Wicklow Town recently and was wondering what it might be like along the Ballyguile Road? I am not familiar with the town and level 5 restrictions would not permit me to visit and try get a sense of the area at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Locals (myself) would typically avoid Ballyguile area. Aside from it being up a very big hill out of the town itself, it's known for more social housing than most of the town so avoid if possible.

Some nice areas include any Marlton (Park, Demense, Court, Meadows etc), up Dunbur road near the golf club, any estates like Kirvin Hill/Keatingstown up near the biggest secondary school in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

bluebakes wrote: »
    Locals (myself) would typically avoid Ballyguile area. Aside from it being up a very big hill out of the town itself, it's known for more social housing than most of the town so avoid if possible.

Some nice areas include any Marlton (Park, Demense, Court, Meadows etc), up Dunbur road near the golf club, any estates like Kirvin Hill/Keatingstown up near the biggest secondary school in the town.

That's the biggest load of nonsense I've ever heard. How long are you living in the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

AnRiocht85 wrote: »

A) is the gaelscoil primary school generally over subscribed? We have a 2 Yr old who we would love to get into a gaelscoil if possible. It would be a strong preference over any other school type/ethos.

All the schools in the town are. Just like everywhere.

For the Gaelscoil, the system is fair. You can only register the November (or thereabouts) before the child starts school then it's Families whose home language is Irish first (subject to a fluency test for parents and child), brother/sisters of current students and done by age oldest to youngest thereafter. If I remember correctly.

They only tend take a small class of 28 (vs other schools in town who take about 60 on average.

So all said, down to age your child is when they would be starting to work out your odds. Also, if you are going that route there is a Naíonra in the town thet most kids go to first. That wouldn't do your chances any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 bluebakes

That's the biggest load of nonsense I've ever heard. How long are you living in the town?
    25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

The worst thing about Ballyguile is the hill, there's only one estate there that I'd consider "rough", and the rest of the road seems fine. The biggest reason I'm rarely up that way is that it's rarely on the route to wherever I'm going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LFeeFee

Hi All,

I'm looking at a house in Mountain View estate. I will be a woman living alone/renting a room. It's one of the only places I can find in my price range so my question is, does anyone know why it's so much cheaper? Would I be safe there living alone?

Thanks,

You'll have a steep climb from the main street to there, and I've always considered it to be the worst estate in town - apart from its magnificent views. But that's just my impression. I couldn't say how safe you would or wouldn't be there, though. I may be judging the book by its cover, or the state of its cover in the past.

I'd recommend having a look via Google Street view 52.97248098375172, -6.042894037817236 and come down and take a look for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LFeeFee

Thanks, yeah it seems to have had a bad rep in the past but no one has said it's very unsafe now just again that vibe of not being very nice. I had a look around and see that totally. Lots of kids running around etc so seems safe but just generally run down and a lot of rubbish around etc. Might chat to the people living there and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cindy11

Hi guys. Thank you for this thread. I know that has been a long time. But maybe someone from the area is willing to reply to me. How about this street, Mountain View 113, in Wicklow town?

I love the view. But the street are around are rundown

Some houses are private, but some of them belong to the government. They told me it was not dangerous. But I am not sure about this. In Dublin, the areas with housing estates are really bad.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

My knowledge of that estate hasn't been added to since it last came up, so this still applies. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117944878/#Comment_117944878

I'll see if I can find out more for you. The house looks really nice. That BER rating is a bit nasty though.

The word I'm getting is not good. Lots of drugs and vandalism it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cindy11

Many thanks, Storker, for taking the time to reply. To be honest, I don't think it is dangerous at all. I went to the shop and talked with a lady who lives there and has worked there for 40 years. So it looks safe. But it is true that some houses are quite rundown. I also saw kids playing on the street. The views are impressive. And Wicklow town is full of life and shops.

@cindy11, looks like it went sale agreed today. If it’s you, wishing you all the best!

• Advertisement
Advertisement