Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric, Hydrogen & Hybrid Electric Buses in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The big giveaway here is there's no destination scroll on the front & no middle doors on the side of the bus.

With this being a bus owned by Go-Ahead Ireland makes a little bit more unusual to see it in TFI green.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Comments elsewhere are that it's going to be a training bus, but for impaired passengers.

I'm not sure on the relevancy of 8701 in this topic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭d51984

Not long now, hearing works progressing well at Summerhill. These new electric busses are going to be a game changer in the future of public transport in this country. Long overdue.

Its a disgrace Joe!

I have to say, the new fleet of EV buses in Athlone are a dream to ride on. So smooth, so quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EVBusFan

To follow up my previous query I have found the table I was looking for, its from page 34 of the National Sustainable Mobility Policy available on gov.ie

• Advertisement

I see one or two of the Hybrids in Cony Rd are gone for a repaint, be interesting to see if they come back in the new livery or retain their hybrid one.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭AX636

They are coming back in their original livery, according to someone in the cony road

Yea I heard that as Dublin bus own them 9 buses but then again the VG and EV class got the repaint so see what happens.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I see London are putting stickers on buses now that show if the bus is either diesel, electric or hybrid. This so the fire brigade can identify which is powering the bus as all fires have to be treated differently. Wonder will these stickers be rolled out here in Ireland too.

Hitachi have won the tender to begin the 1st phase of electricification work at Bus Éireann's Roxboro depot in Co. Limerick.

The project's contract is worth about €3m.

The completion of the 1st phase of the project will enable Bus Éireann to have 20 battery electric double deck buses delivered for the Limerick fleet.

The press release also says that the new ADL single deckers based in Athlone have the exceeded the initial target of 100,000km in mileage since they were launched this year.

• Advertisement

Any actual date of entry in to service of the new electric deckers at the hill? Seems to be dragging on a bit now, few rumor's going around about ESB not been on the ball but has anyone got a solid date?

We really need to be getting the foot down now and getting these buses in to service, all stops should be pulled out for launch asap, before it starts to get embarrassing having new buses parked up for months.

I would love to see new electric buses running along Fairview and North strand when its all complete, would compliment the new cycling lanes really well.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Which routes do yall reckon will get the EWs first?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

I don't like lazy cynicism or uninformed criticism but the inordinate delay to the introduction into service of the Electroliners in both Dublin and Limerick is disappointing to say the least.

These buses started to roll off the production line in Ballymena last Autumn and as per Fred Dean's Flickr stream, one of them was in Cork last Hallowe'en: almost seven months ago now (I'm not sure that the link below will work).

Major refurbishment was undertaken at Roxboro Depot in Limerick two years ago as per a planning application to upgrade and install charging stations and a sub-station, and the Electroliners were ordered a year, or more ago.

Yet we are told in mid-May 2023 that the contract for electrification infrastructure has now been awarded.

At least if Hitachi, get in there soon and make a start, summer weather conditions🔅 and long days should be favourable but the Bus Éireann press release suggests that it will be early 2024 before the Electroliners enter service on the streets of Limerick, which suggests that the Electroliners will have been stored for up to 18 months.

Alas however, we also have the great known-unknown and no amps will flow until they say so!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭AX636

Work was stopped in Summerhill, something to do with the planning, so now have to wait 12 weeks before they start again

Embarrassing absolute embarrassing. Heads need to roll over this, brand new buses lying up since last November is a joke. Why do we always seem do make a dogs ear of stuff like this.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,753 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This has happened plenty of times in the past - with buses being built well in advance of going into service. It's certainly nothing new.

Plenty of new build fleets have been delivered and stored for lengthy periods before entering service previously. Virtually every delivery of LFs and VBs to Bus Éireann have been kept in storage for months before entering service.

It's just a bit more obvious this time given these are electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,753 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The Bus Éireann news story regarding Roxboro Road depot:

https://buseireann.ie/bus_eireann_news.php?id=7117&month=May

Bus Éireann signs €3m contract with Hitachi to begin electrification of Limerick depot

Athlone all-electric town bus service has completed 100,000km, performing ahead of expectations

Bus Éireann, the national bus company, has recently appointed Hitachi Energy Ireland to deliver the first phase of electrifying the depot at Roxboro, following a competitive tender process. This project is funded by the National Transport Authority as part of the transformation of Ireland’s urban bus fleets to zero tailpipe emission vehicles.

Hitachi will work with Bus Éireann to deliver a new on site MV electricity substation, install 24 charge points, carry out all civil & cabling works and the commissioning of the charging infrastructure. This work will be completed in advance of the delivery of 20 double-deck battery electric buses, purchased by the National Transport Authority to operate on Limerick city routes.

Limerick will be the first regional city in Ireland to introduce fully electric vehicles. Combined with the 20 hybrid vehicles already operating in Limerick, the TFI Limerick City fleet will be either zero or low tailpipe emissions from early 2024.

Bus Éireann carries c.4.5 million passengers on its seven Limerick city routes each year. These are public service obligation routes, operated under contract to the National Transport Authority.

“It is just over three months since the Athlone town bus service became fully electric and the project has been very successful to date with 100,000 kilometres operated safely and without incident,” said Stephen Kent, Chief Executive Officer, Bus Éireann. “Passenger numbers are at record levels, 77 tonnes of carbon emissions have been avoided and at this early stage, it appears that the range being achieved is up to 20% better than expectations.

“Our experience from Athlone has only increased our enthusiasm for the transformation of our urban operations to battery electric vehicles and we are very pleased to partner with Hitachi in the delivery of this project. The electrification of the depot at Roxboro will really change public transport in Limerick for the better, in terms of environmental impact and also a greatly enhanced customer experience with quieter, smoother journeys.

“Combined with the NTA’s BusConnects and investment in a new bus station at Colbert, Limerick will be in the forefront of bus public transport developments this year,” he concluded.

Friday, 19th May, 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

I never thought I'd say something like this but......does anyone else think there might actually be too much legroom on the PA buses? Upstairs at least.

I'm about 6' and have loads of legroom. You could probably be 7' and still have enough space. It's certainly a huge improvement on the AV/AX/EV buses were the legroom is bad. The SG buses are a good balance between capacity and legroom IMO.

I feel like they could easily fit in an extra row upstairs therefore increasing capacity and yet still have plenty of legroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PAD114

Localink Route 438 Tuam-Headford-Tuam Started To Operate On The 22nd Of May It’s Operated By a Higer Steed 231-G-3664

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Not sure if this has been posted before but DB are building a new depot in D11 to facilitate the EV upgrade of the other depots.

• Advertisement

I heard this was rejected?

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Must have been something else. DCC approved it with only slight modifications last October, and as far as I can see, it was not appealed to ABP.

It's here.

According to new tender documents released; Bus Éireann are planning to spend €30 million euro for new electric charging points, which includes attendant training for Bus Éireann staff, for their remaining bus depots around the country.

It is not known yet how many charging points will be installed in their remaining depots. However they will also be looking for back-up systems in place if their supplys to the electrical grid fail on site.

EA 34 has Arrived in Broadstone 231-D-20602

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Nice! Do ya happen to know when the rest will arrive?

Its a disgrace Joe!

Low and behold 4 more EA,s have arrived in to Broadstone today, fleet numbers unknown.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Ive been informed that theres about 100 new 'Green and Yellow' buses parked in Ardee, a mix of single and double decks.

Has to be Ardee Coach trim or Louth Commercials. AFAIK Ardee Coach trim is the agent for Alexander Dennis in Ireland, so they would be looking after PA PAD and EA buses along with the Dublin bus EV class.

There is also rumors (take with pinch of salt) of Go Ahead getting some new single deck electric buses.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So, with the camera wing mirrors, are these buses thin enough to pass through the gates of the Phoenix Park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭john boye

Irish Commercials/Volvo look after the EV class.

Advertisement