Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I would imagine the rise of the “far right” is because of what the people can see with their own eyes in terms of much higher criminality and sex attacks, rather than the public being manipulated by a small minority?

You say you want asylum seekers out but that you're not racist in the same post... Proof that it is you that doesn't know what racism is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Why are you bringing racism into this? The most dubious asylum seekers of them all are the Albanian and Georgians - ie Europeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

• Advertisement

Asylum seekers are people who have left their home country as political refugees and are seeking asylum in another.

Just so there's no confusion in the future that's the definition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes but as our Chief of Police said they have watched this and learned.

Like the extremists at other marches and protests who do their utmost to create a situation where the police have to react and then record the police action " as if..look , they are beating the hell out of these 'poor fxcjers ' unprovoked ."

The reactions of the normally very easygoing police and government to the situations provoked by those fascists in Sweden did not help their situation.

People there were played .

Hyping up fears about services which were in decline prior to this ,and guncrime , which was largely gang/ drug related , a government comprised of 3 centre right groups and one far right have a majority of 3 seats in their present parliament . Not a far right government so . However the Swedish Democrat party are and make up the government coalition having gained 20% of the vote , have a neo nazi background , and are not allowed to hold any ministerial seats unlike its 3 coalition parties.

Countries all over Europe, not just Ireland , are watching this as the far right try to rebrand themselves from vicious thugs and anarchists to now apparently sensible and caring supporters of the common people .

Left wing politicians are being targeted for abuse and intimidation all over Europe and centre left governments are being smeared in right wing media and every thing they do minutely criticised and undermined .

And yet the backgrounds of these 'activists 'are kept secret .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

There is a rise in popularity in Sinn Fein because people are fed up of the current government and they are the only option.

Likewise people are fed up of the government in Sweeden which is why support for far right parties is growing.

As I suggested earlier, if you use Google you will educate yourself on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

What if they are leaving due to climate change?

Or religious beliefs?

Or a war breaks out?

You are really struggling here.

You don't seem to realize that when people get here they tell their friends how to play the system.

Then they tell their friends and it begins to snowball.

There's no accomodation here so they will end up in tents all over the place, is that the scenario you hope plays out?

• Advertisement

You don't seem to realize that all of the above ( except climate change ) including persecution on the grounds of gender are legitimate reasons for application for asylum.

People who are from so called safe countries are processed first , to rule them out quickly as it were , but there are some ( 18% of those ) who are genuine and granted asylum as result.

They are not all playing the system as over 35% of refugees are granted asylum.

It's quite a detailed process which is why it takes time .

And no , I am not in favour of tents or camps all over the place so would prefer the processing was speeded up instead/ more staff employed , and deportation returned for those refused .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Um.. I don't think you understand what racism is if the post you quoted was your example.

It's also misused to where it's completely ineffective at trying to stifle the discussion or make the "accused" slink away (which was the real intent, right?)

But for a real example of racism, how about the fact that we have a Government that seems to be prioritising everyone else except the citizens who they are actually meant to be representing with no expense or effort spared on issues that for decades they told those same citizens couldn't be easily fixed.

That's not just racist, it's far more insidious and dangerous to our supposed republic and political system.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Week in Politics had Brid Smith on, she reckons these lads will be ideal for working on building sites and on farms.

And of course the Labour TD Duncan Smith there telling us he is fighting the good fight against the far right.

Sure everyone that wants tougher immigration laws is far right these days according to those fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Called into my ma's yesterday, she gets the Sunday Indo religiously. I lost track of the number of far right, moral duty, paddy once emigrated articles

Maybe next week they will look at the situation from the other side- didn't see any mention of that tho (maybe I missed it!)

Yeah . Journalism in the main stream media is very restricted alright . Its the bloody rules isn't it, pain in the proverbial!

They have to tell the truth and it has to be sourced information , researched for accuracy and it has to be in the public interest .

Good job there's other media not bound by these pesky journalistic values, eh ? ... Like some of the links being dumped on other sites and here ./s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I never said they were not legitimate. The uneducated Red Silurian gave us the wrong definition, as usual, so I had to correct him, again.

To answer your claim they are not playing the system, just because somebody is granted asylum doesn't mean they told the truth to get it granted either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

David Cullinane was on yesterday and he basically said people need to just suck it up when these young men are bussed into their communities.

But that policy is coming from the top, MacDonald is a private schooled lib from a wealthy backround, I've seen the videos and she isn't very popular with people in poorer parts of the city because they have copped on that even more would be coming in under SF

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Who beat up the 70 year old in Corofin though?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Can someone please point out the far right bogeyman from this picture of the Clare, inch protesters?

I want to know who my local far right enemy is so I can condemn their existence

• Advertisement

There was nothing wrong with his definition. It's the dictionary version.

Think his answer was educated and to be fair to him long enough for those who were asking him silly questions picking at his comments .

Now why do you do that ?

Is it to rattle someone posting what you don't agree with , or is it that you don't understand anyone else's viewpoint?

No other excuse for what is borderline harassment , nit picking .

Oh like the IT being massively embarrassed by running an AI-generated article about the usage of fake tan being a "problematic" example of cultural appropriation 2 weeks back?

Yea thank god for those last few bastions of journalistic integrity eh?

Yes indeed . They took it down and came straight out with an apology which is more than other news sources might have done. It was a mistake thatwilcost them their readership... if it happens again .

I think you might want to read some of the coverage of the event, or even the thread here.

They were pushed into an embarrassing climbdown after others did the "research for accuracy" you were on about for them. So much so that they went and issued a mailshot to anyone on their list about it.

You could also ask (as many did) how such an article was greenlit for publication in the first place of course, but sure... go them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

No no no no no. You have a fundamental misapprehension of how the system works. Someone only becomes a refugee when their claim is accepted. Until then they are classed as asylum seekers. The clue is in the title. It’s bewildering how many people ( on both sides of the debate to be fair) continue to not grasp the basics of the system. It’s really not that complicated.

If people are turning to SF because they feel the Govt is too lax on immigration then they would seem to be barking up a whole forest of wrong trees.

You could ask ...but as this is totally irrelevant to the topic off the thread I can't comment here .

It has its own thread which I direct you to read if you have any further questions ...

unfortunately its not that busy there as most people are no longer interested .

Except you didn’t give the right definition either.

Oh the same thread I suggested you read in that post you just quoted? That's OK. I think I've made my point.

The moral though is not to believe everything you read in the "respectable" press either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

I kept seeing Sweden on this thread and did a google.

I don't know what is happening there apart from the murder stats the bild highlights but....

Sweden is the most dangerous country in Europe today.

The former Nordic model country has turned into a real nightmare since 2005. Everywhere in Europe the number of murders is falling. Only in Sweden is it steadily increasing. This is shown, among other things, by an investigation carried out by Brottsførebyggande rådet (BRÅ), the Swedish Crime Prevention Committee.

I think the bold sentence tells a different story. There's been immigration throughout Europe but somehow Sweden is the only country where murders are increasing. If immigrants/ refugees were the single factor surely similar stats should be seen in Germany etc. Why only Sweden?

Advertisement