Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Sky news take on things. Not Ukrainians but Russians , the leader of one of the groups is a Neo Nazi according to sky news

Who are the groups supposedly behind incursions into Russia's Belgorod region?Analysis by Diana Magnay, Russia correspondent 

Murky goings-on in Russia's Belgorod region, just across the border from Kharkiv in eastern Ukraine.

The Kremlin says a group of armed Ukrainian saboteurs have infiltrated Russian territory and that a combination of Russian armed forces are working to "eliminate" them, adding that the president has been informed.

Aerial videos posted to social media show fighting in a number of border villages, with Russian Mi-8 helicopters deployed. In one video, a helicopter appears to be releasing anti-missile decoy flares as it flies above a residential area.

Two groups calling themselves the "Russian Volunteer Corps" and the "Freedom of Russia Legion" say they are behind the incursions.

Video posted to the Russian Volunteer Corps Telegram channel shows blurry night-time footage of a group of men holding the RVC crest beside the signpost to the Russian border village of Bezliudovka.

"The Russian Volunteer Corps is back at home," they write. "The fight continues".

The Russian Volunteer Corps came to attention in March this year when they launched a daring cross-border attack into the neighbouring Russian region of Bryansk.

Led by a well-known Russian neo-Nazi called Denis Kapustin, they are based in Ukraine but say their ultimate goal is the elimination of the Putin regime.

This time they appear to have joined forces with the so-called Freedom of Russia Legion, which shares a similar aim.

In a video posted to their Telegram channel, six armed men, one wearing the Ukrainian yellow and blue colours on his uniform, call on Russians to take responsibility for their future, saying "we are the same Russians as you are" and that the "dictatorship of the Kremlin has to end".

Mikhail Podalyok, who advises the Ukrainian president, wrote on Twitter that Ukraine had nothing to do with the attacks but was watching the situation in Belgorod with interest. 

"The only driving political force in a totalitarian country of tightened screws is always an armed guerrilla movement," he wrote.

Ukrainian media outlet Hromadske quoted the country's military intelligence as saying the aim of the operation was to create a "security zone" to protect Ukrainians from cross-border attacks by Russia.

Russia's military has spent considerable effort over the past months constructing trenches and lines of Dragon Teeth defences along its border with Ukraine and further into Russian-occupied territories.

It will come as some embarrassment that they are so easily breached.

The Kremlin says the attacks are simply an attempt to divert attention from the situation in and around Bakhmut.

Belgorod incursion may not be the work of Kyiv, but it will suit their needs well ahead of counteroffensiveAnalysis by Dominic Waghorn, international affairs editor

These kinds of operations may well increase in number.

The murk is only going to deepen; the fog of war thickens as Ukraine's much-vaunted counteroffensive approaches.

Ukraine has begun shaping operations, testing Russia's defences, probing weaknesses, attacking Russian logistics and supply lines.

It is also operating psyops operations to disconcert the enemy and create fear among its ranks. 

The incursion into the Belgorod region appears to be the work of disaffected Russians basing themselves in northern Ukraine under Kyiv's protection.

But the impact of a shadowy cross-border operation shrouded in mystery will suit Ukraine's needs very well. 

It will have happened with Kyiv's approval almost certainly and will help its ongoing efforts to unnerve and menace the Russians as they brace themselves for Ukraine's big push whenever that comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

They are not Russians rising up in Moscow or the Urals or Yakutsk, they crossed the border from Ukraine using equipment from Ukraine and even dressing like the AFU (yellow bands). If it walks like a duck...

Its the same as the DPR and LPR militias as just part of the russian army, but by another name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Sigma101

In my view the Belgorod attack is just another element of Ukrainian shaping operations in preparation for the counteroffensive; its aims being to draw Russian forces in to protect their borders and to spread fear and uncertainty in Russia. It's hard to believe that this action wouldn't at least have got a blessing from Ukraine if not actually directed by Ukrainian military. If this is the case then I'm sure the Americans would be fully informed. Ukraine attributing this to Russians allows the Ukrainians to distance themselves from activities and avoid controversy with NATO members who (at least publicly) might be squeamish about conflict on Russian soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

100%. They're probing for weaknesses. Feinting. Observing reactions. Forcing the Russians to expand their universe of worries. Forcing them to redeploy reserves elsewhere along this massive front.

In this case they had a poke and it turned out to be made of papier-mâché. That's basically a bonus and very helpful info.

• Advertisement

And here's more of it, right down the other end:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Ah will you go away with that shite. They're making a fair and reasonable point, the comrade nonsense is silly. If you weren't so blinded by your extremisms, you might be capable of seeing real intentions here.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

We know Russia is buying Iranian drones and missiles, thats no secret

The US selling HMMWVs and MRAPs to Russian separatists is news to me though, unless of course they gave those to Ukraine who passed it on.

Either way its clearly US equipment used, both in those videos posted by the separatists and in drone videos monitoring the attacks in Belgorod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Gotta love the Russian apologist response on here.

Not a squeak out of them while Russia murders POWs and lands cruise missiles in creches. But when the Belgorod Peoples Republic ☺️ kicks up a fuss in sacred Russian territory then the tantrums begin.

It's legitimately gratifying to see. Long may it continue.

Lets not deflect. You're calling another poster "comrade", the intent being obvious, for simply stating that these events may not go down well with western backers of Ukraine. It was a completely neutral statement and one that holds potential weight, unless you have information the rest of us don't have? You're shutting down discussion and there is no need for it.

• Advertisement

Don't bring everyone else into this, you're the only one at the moment attacking a fair and unbiased point. Your views would be fine if we knew all the facts but until then the discussion around it should be allowed. You're just shutting down interesting debate. Ideally, you would counter that person with reasons why you disagree but instead you label them and go off on your way. If anyone is taking "comrade" tactices on board here, it is you.

The point the poster made, the only point they made.

The point is that posters show very little concern as Russia burns,rapes and murders its way through sovereign Ukranian territory. And only ever show up to exacerbate or over emphasise every slight grey area where Ukraine might possibly be potentially culpable.

This is a drop in the **** ocean compared to what Russia has been up to. It's a war. So these so called "neutral" statements are about as neutral as calling for peace while the bully nation continues to suicide drone Ukranian children. In essence, nobody's buying it. Sorry.

I'm sorry but i'm talking about the two comments made by @Kermit.de.frog. Can you explain how the words used by them translated into what you have just posted?

My point is about those two posts and those two posts alone, which were fair and reasonable.

A lot of Ukrainians are getting immense pleasure from this and so they should. They've had to put up with blatant Russian lies and duplicity about territorial infringements for the past 9 years. Give them a taste of their own medicine, no matter how small.

They never said Russia adhered to any agreement, you just brought that up. We all know Russia has not adhered to agreements made in the past on this matter, that isn't relevant here because we're supposed to be above that, right?

The poster just said that, if, if the Ukrainians have moved onto Russian soil then it wouldn't be seen as positive to them. It is a fair, and debatable, point. You just decided to shut the debate down.

And I'm saying this poster (among several others) only show up with such fair and reasonable concerns when Ukraine might potentially be in the grey.

Their colors of their flag are plain to see. They just think everyone is too stupid to notice. So the points within aren't worth dealing with. Because they aren't posted in good faith or with the intention of good debate. It's the same ol tired both sides nonsense that's been done and dealt with over and over again.

So is that why you're shutting him down, and calling him "comrade".

It doesn't matter what they have said in the past, what matters is the point at hand is a fair one made and unless you're incapable of critical thought then you should be able to make a counter-arguement. Shutting down the arguement is knuckle dragging behaviour, no better than the behaviour you're saying you're against.

I disagree. I believe it matters greatly what they have said in the past and when they have chosen to say it. The intention behind the thing said matters as much if not more than what is actually said. And i'll leave it there. I've no interest in getting into a tit for tat squabble online with you.

• Advertisement

You're entitled to your views, i'll refrain from arguing too much in a loop as is often done with yourself and other posters here. I just think statements made as fact before the facts are facts should be discouraged. All the best and here's hoping Ukraine see victory very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,524 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I've no intention for a tit for tat either. I was merely commenting on the posts at hand, I don't have the time on this thread to delve into a posters political self or post history. I just take what I see in the comment in front of me and in this case, I strongly feel the point made was fair and was open to debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Any examples where he justified Russian behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Here we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

If it walks like a duck...said anyone here about you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭purplepanda

I've walked from Ramsgrange, WX got the ferry to Passage East & walked to the centre of Waterford City. It's about 13Km. Ballygunner is about 7Km / 4miles across to De La Salle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

lol. well someone clearly is too stupid to notice. or maybe they both are married.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Putin claimed before anyone speaking Russian were Russians. Same playbook as Hitler.

Now we have one further and actual Russians attacking a Russian city.

Karma. But it had to start somewhere to dispose of Putin. A very welcome development. Even our own Orwell road probably secretly welcome this development.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement